Reformed Chicks Blabbing

Reformed Chicks Blabbing

The Baptist pastor who prayed for Obama’s death has been interviewed by the Secret Service

posted by Susan Johnson

According to CNN. Well, that’s good because evidently, he appears to be connected to the guy who brought a gun to Obama’s town hall meeting:

Chris Broughton, the man who brought an assault rifle and a handgun to the Obama event in Arizona last week, attended a fiery anti-Obama sermon the day before the event, in which Pastor Steven Anderson said he was going to “pray for Barack Obama to die and go to hell”, Anderson confirmed to TPMmuckraker today.

You can listen to his sermon here.
He says he’s talking about a “spiritual battle” and isn’t advocating “vigilantism” (which is just nuts since Obama hasn’t broken any laws, usually you speak of “vigilantism” when you are administering your own justice):

The pastor said he encouraged Broughton to make sure he would not run afoul of any federal laws. And he insisted he was not encouraging acts of violence toward the president.
“No where in the sermon did I advocate vigilantism,” Anderson said today, reached at the church. “It’s a spiritual battle.”
He continued: “I’d rather have him die of natural causes anyway, that way he’s not some martyr. I’m praying for him to die just so he gets what he deserves.”

I’d hate to be a member of his church, no grace. No prayers for those in need of salvation. No wisdom to guide the flock. No love of enemies the way that God loved us when we were his enemies:

ESV Romans 5:10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.

If God loved us enough to send his Son to his death while we were his enemies, why can’t we love our enemies enough to pray for them? That’s the very heart of Christianity and yet we find it impossible to love. I can’t just beat up this pastor when I know I lack love as well. But I also know that he’s in a position of influence over his flock, it’s a responsibility that he’ll be accountable for on the day of judgment. He better make sure his words do not lead to a physical battle, even if he meant it to be spiritual.
When I read stories like this, it reminds me to be vigilant in my prayers for Obama’s safety. Please join me in praying for the safety of our president, the one that the Lord has decided (for whatever reason) to appoint. He is the head of our nation and we as Christians are called to an understanding of that fact. We can disagree with him and advocate against his positions but we must respect his authority.

Moonshadow

posted September 1, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Someone at BHT wrote this and it seemed wise:
“If Jesus is our intercessor then I would counsel strongly against offering up a prayer that might work against what He accomplished on the cross. If you can’t find it in your heart to recognize your own depravity as it manifests in someone else, then how about at least refraining from the judgment that God reserves as his own.”
I’m betting you haven’t listened to the sermon. It’s already fading from my mind; it’s that forgettable.

Your Name

posted September 1, 2009 at 6:10 pm

ANY minister, pastor, bishop, rabbi, iman, elder, teacher who doesn’t DENOUNCE Anderson has ZERO credibility.
STAND 4 the love of God.
Where is Monson with LDC, The Council of Bishops, Nuns who worked for Social Justice, Black Evangelicals, Rick Warren?
and Josh DuBois Obama’s faith outreach person….YOU most of all need to denounce this psychopath.
Only 3 brave men protested outside Anderson’s “church” as 30 members walked in carrying guns.

mark

posted September 1, 2009 at 6:11 pm

STAND

Alicia

posted September 1, 2009 at 6:32 pm

I pray for Obama’s safety and that of his family. Regarding Pastor Anderson the best thing to do, IMO, other than taking reasonable precautions (such as the Secret Service interview) is for all of us to pray that his heart may be changed, and that he might grow a new heart.

Moonshadow

posted September 1, 2009 at 7:09 pm

I saw in CT last week a Zondervan ad for a book called The Naked Gospel, subtitled “The Truth You May Never Hear in Church.”
Now I haven’t read this book, maybe it’s fairly benign. But the subtitle might make someone wonder, “Oh-no, what aren’t they telling me at church?!!!” breeding mistrust.
People aren’t so moved by the tried-and-true. This preacher is tickling ears.

sam lee

posted September 1, 2009 at 10:12 pm

no worries. i’m praying for the pastor’s death.

Husband

posted September 2, 2009 at 9:15 am

“He wants Obama to get what he deserves? No grace? No mercy? Is that what a pastor in Christ’s church should be praying? That Obama gets what he deserves?”
Gosh, Michele, you’re sounding more and more like a librul every day.

Grumpy Old Person

posted September 2, 2009 at 9:18 am

“Please join me in praying for the safety of our president, the one that the Lord has decided (for whatever reason) to appoint.”
Michele, it’s ‘thinking’ like that that got Amurika in trouble eight years ago. God doesn’t/didn’t “appoint” either Bush OR Obama. It doesn’t work that way. Ever hear of a thing called elections? (Hint: it’s what Bush stole in 2000.)

Julie

posted September 2, 2009 at 12:07 pm

If Michele believes the above statement, why does she fight so hard against Obama, including using false information like death panels? Her blogs indicate she knows more than God. Maybe she should open her mind to the possibility that God had things for Obama to accomplish. Maybe quality health care for all of his children??????
For me, it is impossible to know whether God had a hand in the election. I believe God could, but I would never say I know God caused an election result.
I could easily make a very could case for how God designed Obama to be President – starting with selecting his very different parents. Moving on the W, I cannot make the same case, except the experience with W made the win for Obama easier.
The pastor has several small children, I echo the other prayers and add prayers the pastor, his children and wife

Dan

posted September 2, 2009 at 1:18 pm

I am still just stunned that so-called “Christians” are demonizing our president who wishes to provide healthcare to all citizens of this nation. What would Jesus want: healthcare for all or just those who could afford it?

pagansister

posted September 2, 2009 at 2:19 pm

And that man actually calls himself a “man of God?” Certainly doesn’t help the name Christian much, does he?

huh

posted September 2, 2009 at 3:05 pm

If an entire nation of elightened tender poet global villagers steeped in ancient cutlure and tradition, such as Iran, can warm up to daily prayers chanting “DEATH TO AMERICA” “DEATH TO ISRAEL” who are we to call them names.
“Death to America” would include Obama, no?
Oh, in that case lets just get back to talking global warming.

Karen Whitaker

posted September 2, 2009 at 4:03 pm

Wait a minute. If Obama the Christian would immediately go into the presence of a loving God, is this a horrible prayer, at least for the President as an individual? Christians can’t seem to make up their minds whether they believe in heaven or not. I prefer it when they don’t, incidentally. Far less likely to do foolish or destructive things.

mr dprince

posted September 10, 2009 at 10:21 pm

This Pastor steven Anderson should have his ordainment revoked by the churcxh he represents for preaching against the word he is to believe in and reiterate to his flock.

mch

posted November 17, 2009 at 9:42 pm

Slightly tangential, but this is my problem with ‘God':
If, as some suggest, God may be able to influence things like elections, does that not suggest that God influences free will as the means? Does he also influence one softball team winning over the other? Does he also allow the raping of millions of women in Darfur? Does he allow all the atrocities that have ever happened in our collective human history if he cares enough about one election in the richest country in the world?…Which, for me, begs the question, which I’ll address directly to God just in case God’s listening (though I really can’t imagine he’d have the time with all the other murder/starvation/crime/war going on in the world): there are a great more suffering people throughout the world outside of the United States, they often have no voice and nothing to defend themselves with. They need your ‘influence’ more than our elections do. All we need is ‘your’ mercy. Because for our collective history, we seem unable to employ the use of our brains and our hearts at the same time. One does not have to call themselves Christian, or believe in any God for that matter, in order to believe and to hold true that hoping for the harm of anyone, no matter how their views differ from yours, is damaging to our collective humanity and our personal character.

Elmer Bumpus

posted November 20, 2009 at 1:56 am

Obama is not a Christian. He is an advocate of all forms of abortion including partial birth abortion — and this virtually to the point of infanticide. He believes in homosexual marriage and that sodomy is a sacrement. He is clearly a socialist and wishes to take the majority of our incomes. If you are I did this, it would be called theft and the same government doing such things would lock us up. He has appointed avowed Marxists to positions of power — Van Jones as well as a friend of NAMBLA as “Safe Schools Czar” (Commisar, actually).

mogwai

posted January 9, 2010 at 2:15 pm

legally nothing wrong with praying for the traitor obama and joe bidens deaths but the bible states you should pray for your leaders, that they keep their hearts open and might follow gods path. but obama can’t really legally be called a leader but rather a usurper seeings he’s not a legal resident. In this case, it is better to pray for the truth, that his status be exposed and all his deciepts be transparent to even the most gullible and ask that he answer to an american court rather than being banished to hell as would happen if he continues his lies. yes, pray for justice in this life rather than letting him burn in hell forever. be sure your sins will find you out.

Another Blog To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Reformed Chicks Babbling. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!!!

posted 3:05:14pm Aug. 27, 2012 | read full post »

One Final Word
My dear friend Michele slipped into eternity on Wednesday, February 1.   She was a remarkable woman who left a legacy of faith, determination, and love. For three years she courageously battled the ovarian cancer that eventually robbed her of her life.  A few days before she died, one of her docto

posted 8:43:41pm Feb. 10, 2012 | read full post »

The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated
My husband told me that there are rumors that I've died. I'm happy to report that I'm still very much alive. My cancer has gone to stage four but we are controlling it with chemo, the cancer numbers are currently in the normal range. I've stopped blogging to concentrate on my daughters and writing a

posted 7:07:55pm Aug. 23, 2010 | read full post »

An update and a prayer request
Several people have asked about Michele's condition, and have promised to pray for her. On her behalf, I thank you for that. I spoke with her a little while ago, and she asked that I come here and tell you what's going on, and to ask you to pray for her. She isn't able to post here herself right

posted 4:55:36pm Apr. 06, 2010 | read full post »

Rest in peace, Internet Monk.
A man known in the cyber world as The Internet Monk, has died. Michael Spencer lost his battle with cancer tonight. My prayers go out for his family and for all those who loved and will miss him. :(

posted 11:52:00pm Apr. 05, 2010 | read full post »