Reformed Chicks Blabbing

Reformed Chicks Blabbing

Santa Ana residents request lock for their trash cans to keep out the homeless

posted by Susan Johnson

Oh.My.Heck, people! Let the poor homeless take what you throw away! Are we so cruel that we would begrudge people our trash?

The locks are being tested at the request of residents who lobbied for city protection from the homeless, who were raiding their trash and recycling bins for items with refund value. To be sure, this kind of dumpster diving (or bin burgling) is a nuisance. Residents complain of frightening early morning encounters with homeless men near their driveways or of being awakened at night by barking dogs and the loud clanks of glass bottles.
What’s more, bin burgling can have a small but real cost, which is why it’s considered a crime in most cities. Santa Ana contracts with hauler Waste Management, which profits from the recyclables it collects. The “theft” of these items comes at the expense of the contractor rather than the city, but if the losses are significant, it could result in higher trash rates for residents. Waste Management is covering the expense of the new bins, which might be placed at homes in other parts of the city if the test is successful.

Oh no! You can’t have the residents encountering the homeless, what will they do? How about promising to set aside your bottles and cans so that they don’t have to face arrest for going through their trash? How about helping just a little those who have fallen on hard times?

m.e.graves

posted June 21, 2009 at 9:34 am

If you want I’m all for supporting the homeless, but let’s stop pretending that what Christ calls for is not socialism.

Panthera

posted June 21, 2009 at 10:24 am

Ah, that’s socialism???
What?
It can be argued that dumpster diving should or should not be permitted ( I think it should), but socialism
?
And Christ argued against it?
Um, I wouldn’t mind conservative Christians being so ignorant of history if only they would have the decency to keep their ignorance to themselves.
m.e.graves, why don’t you take a look at the structure of early Christian communities (or the modern Catholic church) and get back to us on that.
Just for the record, Jesus was a Jew, not a Christian.
You know, that silly old religion which has all those stupid rules about helping the poor?
Nothing you’d find in your cherry-picked version of the Bible, obviously.

m.e.graves

posted June 21, 2009 at 11:09 am

Panthera, I’m saying that’s exactly what Jesus preached. I am pointing that out precisely because conservatives (who tend to identify as Christian) would call this socialism. I would be called a socialist, just like Christ would call himself one today. I’m pointing out the hypocrisy of the Republican Christians. Maybe I should have used clearer language.

Boris

posted June 21, 2009 at 12:11 pm

Acts chapter 5 proves that communism is the basis Christianity. Christianity was then the basis for Nazism and still is.

Panthera

posted June 21, 2009 at 12:49 pm

mea culpa m.e. graves!

m.e.graves

posted June 21, 2009 at 1:43 pm

No mea culpas necessary. I have a tendency with my writing to be as clear as mud. Though I must admit it felt a little exhilirating to be confused as a Conservative Christian.

Moonshadow

posted June 21, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Trash is not gleanings … by any stretch. (Lev. 23:22) We can do better.

Karen Whitaker

posted June 22, 2009 at 9:24 am

Boris, you are wrong again. Christianity was not the basis of Fascism. Satanism was the basis of Fascism, and we are very proud of our contribution to the world, however imperfectly executed in Germany.

Boris

posted June 22, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Karen Adolph Hitler praised Jesus in his speeches, not Satan. Trying to revise history in the information age just doesn’t work like it used to. Give it up.

matthew

posted June 24, 2009 at 12:47 am

Speaking of God. Please God, make the City of Los Angeles lock their cans so I do not have to be awaken during the middle of night by the scumbags the steal my trash and throw bottles on the street. Please keep the trash away from my trash.

Michele McGinty

posted June 24, 2009 at 11:02 am

“Because that’s socialism. In a capitalist society, like ours, we need to understand that by law, they are technically stealing from the contractor. They profit off of the valuable trash in the trash bins.”
You disparately need a dictionary. That has nothing to do with socialism. Socialism is what we have now, the government taking care of the homeless so that we don’t have to. I paid my taxes, so I don’t have to care about the poor.
In a capitalistic system, I make my money and then spend it the way I won’t. Like giving to the poor and needy.

Another Blog To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Reformed Chicks Babbling. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!!!

posted 3:05:14pm Aug. 27, 2012 | read full post »

One Final Word
My dear friend Michele slipped into eternity on Wednesday, February 1.   She was a remarkable woman who left a legacy of faith, determination, and love. For three years she courageously battled the ovarian cancer that eventually robbed her of her life.  A few days before she died, one of her docto

posted 8:43:41pm Feb. 10, 2012 | read full post »

The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated
My husband told me that there are rumors that I've died. I'm happy to report that I'm still very much alive. My cancer has gone to stage four but we are controlling it with chemo, the cancer numbers are currently in the normal range. I've stopped blogging to concentrate on my daughters and writing a

posted 7:07:55pm Aug. 23, 2010 | read full post »

An update and a prayer request
Several people have asked about Michele's condition, and have promised to pray for her. On her behalf, I thank you for that. I spoke with her a little while ago, and she asked that I come here and tell you what's going on, and to ask you to pray for her. She isn't able to post here herself right

posted 4:55:36pm Apr. 06, 2010 | read full post »

Rest in peace, Internet Monk.
A man known in the cyber world as The Internet Monk, has died. Michael Spencer lost his battle with cancer tonight. My prayers go out for his family and for all those who loved and will miss him. :(

posted 11:52:00pm Apr. 05, 2010 | read full post »