Reformed Chicks Blabbing

Reformed Chicks Blabbing

My College Cost

posted by aarnold

I just got my tuition bill from my community college for this upcoming fall semester, and it was $670!! And I’m only taking two classes!
Buried in the bill is the customary:
Development fee–$15.00
Enrollment service fee–$30.00
General fee—$110.00
Parking fee –$10.00
Technology fee– $50.00
I also noticed that the cost per credit rose to $91. Yeah, I know everything is costing more these days, but what the heck do I need to pay all those other “fees” for? A general fee? What’s that? It’s like they couldn’t justify raising the price of a credit so they just *added* a “general” fee to gloss over what you are actually paying per credit. When I did the math it turns out to be $134 per credit!
Now I see that Rutgers University is raising their tuition, by 8.5%, making it one of the most expensive public universities in the country. Yippee, just when I’m considering transferring there…I just LOVE New Jersey!

RG

posted July 17, 2008 at 9:12 pm

Count you lucky stars that you are going to a community college.
Lucky also for you that liberals made sure those schools were subsidized, to keep the attendance costs as low as they are.

RJohnson

posted July 17, 2008 at 10:45 pm

And lucky for you that the taxpayers of New Jersey have kept that community college tuition so low. Here in Iowa my daughter just finished her 2 year stint at the local CC. During her last semester she paid $121 per credit hour, plus all those other fees.
And then today we took her to the four year university where she will transfer in the fall. Talk about sticker shock!!
And parking fee of $10!!! That is a STEAL, even compared to here in Iowa. The CC charges $40 for parking sticker for the year. And the university is going to charge $79 for the privilege of parking for the year out in the back 40, some half mile from her academic buildings.
You have it good, dear. Be thankful.

RJohnson

posted July 17, 2008 at 11:04 pm

I think you should also note the reason given for Rutger’s tuition hike.
“The increase is due, in part, to a 10.8 percent cutback in state aid this year, officials said.”
This is what happens when you cut the state budget, Michele. The costs have to be paid somewhere by someone. When the state cuts the budget, the costs fall on those using the services.
Isn’t that what conservatives would call “personal responsibility?”

LJG

posted July 18, 2008 at 3:20 am

You get zero sympathy from me. I’m taking three classes this summer and I’ve paid about $6,000 in tuition and books. My fall schedule of 12 hours will run me about $8,000. And I’m not using financial aid or student loans– I’m paying it out in installments as I go, and plan to be paid in full by the time I graduate.
Of course, I’m going to a private Catholic university here in Texas, so my costs are far higher than anyone in a public school, much less a community college. In any event, spare me the whining about paying far less than I do for just one class. I’m not impressed.

Moonshadow

posted July 18, 2008 at 8:00 am

Susan, don’t let the cost deter you … from transferring, either. Those fees add up, I know, and there’s no assurance that you’ll ever use those services that you’re paying for.
I’ve never attended a community college, so I don’t know how to relate exactly. Credits at Monmouth U. were $300 each when I was there ten years ago. I thought it was worth it … at least the time. :-)

Anonymous

posted July 18, 2008 at 10:06 am

“You get zero sympathy from me. …I’m going to a private Catholic university”
Way to be a good Catholic by telling Michelle to go jump in a lake, LJG. I’m sure Mary would approve.
The reason colleg costs are going up is that college is in high demand. We’re telling EVERYBODY that they HAVE to go to college even if they’re not suited for it.

Susan Johnson

posted July 18, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Moonshadow. It’s a rare commodity from commenter’s on this blog(::
No, I won’t let the cost discourage me. I still think it will be worth it too.

anonymous reincarnate

posted July 18, 2008 at 8:56 pm

of all the rises in various expenses, education is one that you shouldn’t skimp on. don’t give up. it’s more expensive at 4 year universities here in colorado, too, but the community colleges are still almost affordable.
unfortunately, our former governor bill owens did plenty of damage to the state budget and whacked state funding for higher education. he had it out for that “liberal” bastion and made it known. i won’t miss that scum.

Steve

posted August 1, 2008 at 12:41 pm

$670 for two classes is nothing now-a-days! I’m taking one class at a Community college, tuition, fees, and books totaled $637. And that was with my employee discount!

Another Blog To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Reformed Chicks Babbling. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!!!

posted 3:05:14pm Aug. 27, 2012 | read full post »

One Final Word
My dear friend Michele slipped into eternity on Wednesday, February 1.   She was a remarkable woman who left a legacy of faith, determination, and love. For three years she courageously battled the ovarian cancer that eventually robbed her of her life.  A few days before she died, one of her docto

posted 8:43:41pm Feb. 10, 2012 | read full post »

The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated
My husband told me that there are rumors that I've died. I'm happy to report that I'm still very much alive. My cancer has gone to stage four but we are controlling it with chemo, the cancer numbers are currently in the normal range. I've stopped blogging to concentrate on my daughters and writing a

posted 7:07:55pm Aug. 23, 2010 | read full post »

An update and a prayer request
Several people have asked about Michele's condition, and have promised to pray for her. On her behalf, I thank you for that. I spoke with her a little while ago, and she asked that I come here and tell you what's going on, and to ask you to pray for her. She isn't able to post here herself right

posted 4:55:36pm Apr. 06, 2010 | read full post »

Rest in peace, Internet Monk.
A man known in the cyber world as The Internet Monk, has died. Michael Spencer lost his battle with cancer tonight. My prayers go out for his family and for all those who loved and will miss him. :(

posted 11:52:00pm Apr. 05, 2010 | read full post »