Reformed Chicks Blabbing

Reformed Chicks Blabbing

Um…are taxpayers paying for those?

posted by Susan Johnson

A U.S. research base in Antarctica received a shipment of 16,500 condoms so that the researchers wouldn’t be embarrassed buying them. Isn’t nice that we can save them the embarrassment, huh?

“Since everybody knows everyone, it becomes a little bit uncomfortable,” Henriksen told the Southland Times newspaper.
About 125 scientists and staff are stationed at McMurdo base, the largest community in Antarctica, during the winter months when there is constant darkness.

ZZ

posted June 10, 2008 at 9:50 am

Remember Michelle, anybody who makes enough money to actually pay any significant taxes is a robber baron and a corporate fat cat and deserves no sympathy.

Michele McGinty

posted June 10, 2008 at 10:02 am

Well, I’m not really looking for sympathy, I would just like to know why I have to pay for someone else’s good time?

jestrfyl

posted June 10, 2008 at 11:51 am

Forget who is buying them. That is 125 people and 16,500 condoms or 131 condoms per person or (making what may be some rash assumptions here) 260 condoms per relationship! Obviously Antarcitca is a “hotter” place than anyone would have imagined! Embarassment is the least of their concerns – I think exhaustion may be a greater one!!

Karen Brown

posted June 10, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Well, what else are they gonna do?
Its Antarctica, after all.

Rob

posted June 10, 2008 at 12:41 pm

Since the whole base is taxpayer supported and any medical care is likewise paid by us taxpayers, I think I’d rather pay for their condoms than for their STDs or pregnancies.

Rob

posted June 10, 2008 at 1:45 pm

Hmm. And I found statistics that note that men stationed in Antarctica outnumber women 8 to 1….Exhaustion might be an understatement, or not.

neo

posted June 10, 2008 at 4:12 pm

no bid contracts come to mind. What does it cost us wallgreens has it $25 for 36 thats ~$11,100. And antartica is probably getting cheaper ones.
$11K waste vs. several billion. hmmm.

neo

posted June 10, 2008 at 4:35 pm

The BBC has the offical tally of waste for the war at: 23 billion.
Its sad when you have to ask the UK whats going on in the US.

anonymous reincarnate

posted June 10, 2008 at 5:46 pm

now we’re talking! $23B would buy a lot of condoms! make love, not war. ;)

Looney

posted June 11, 2008 at 4:42 pm

I think y’all are not considering the cost of your typical MIL-spec, ISO-9000 certified, state-of-the art, carbon nano-tube condom that works in a cryogenic environment and is provided by a supplier that is fully compliant with the Federal Acquisition Regulations. Remember the $1,000 toilet seat?

anonymous reincarnate

posted June 11, 2008 at 8:26 pm

military-spec? wow… that could take this thread so many directions… not to mention i don’t think i’d want to cover my missile with carbon nano-tubes. and i’d be afraid to do anything with it in a cryogenic environment.

Michele McGinty

posted June 12, 2008 at 11:28 am

“Normally I’d be outraged by such a stupid expense but there are bigger issues of corruption in our gov’t than this.
$11K waste vs. several billion. hmmm.
Sorry not outraged. I wonder if there was a no bid contract on this. Then I might be.”
Sorry but I’m going to be nuts about everyone I read because I refuse to accept this type of spending.

anonymous reincarnate

posted June 12, 2008 at 11:17 pm

right, you’re outraged about this spending without knowing how much it cost, yet you’re just hunky-dory with the billions literally lost in iraq. true colors, michele.

Another Blog To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Reformed Chicks Babbling. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!!!

posted 3:05:14pm Aug. 27, 2012 | read full post »

One Final Word
My dear friend Michele slipped into eternity on Wednesday, February 1.   She was a remarkable woman who left a legacy of faith, determination, and love. For three years she courageously battled the ovarian cancer that eventually robbed her of her life.  A few days before she died, one of her docto

posted 8:43:41pm Feb. 10, 2012 | read full post »

The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated
My husband told me that there are rumors that I've died. I'm happy to report that I'm still very much alive. My cancer has gone to stage four but we are controlling it with chemo, the cancer numbers are currently in the normal range. I've stopped blogging to concentrate on my daughters and writing a

posted 7:07:55pm Aug. 23, 2010 | read full post »

An update and a prayer request
Several people have asked about Michele's condition, and have promised to pray for her. On her behalf, I thank you for that. I spoke with her a little while ago, and she asked that I come here and tell you what's going on, and to ask you to pray for her. She isn't able to post here herself right

posted 4:55:36pm Apr. 06, 2010 | read full post »

Rest in peace, Internet Monk.
A man known in the cyber world as The Internet Monk, has died. Michael Spencer lost his battle with cancer tonight. My prayers go out for his family and for all those who loved and will miss him. :(

posted 11:52:00pm Apr. 05, 2010 | read full post »