Red Letters

Red Letters

Dolsi and the “Man with a Smile”

posted by Tom Davis

This post comes to us from HopeChest COO Bob Mudd who is currently on the ground in India with a team of HopeChest volunteers. On the trip, he and the team met Dolsi, a 7-year-old girl with an amazing story. Here is just a little bit of this little girls big story.

—-

I have spent the past few days engaged with The Friends of the Good Samaritan School in New Delhi, India. This is a first class education institution that teaches the gospel with passion.

The school serves a slum community that is primarily Muslim and secondarily Hindu. The gospel is taking root across this desperate community through the children of this school. I fully expected my first post would relate the story of the remarkable founder of this school of over 2,000 children, Ananthi. However, after we spent the day engaged at the school, we went into the slum and I met Dolsi. She is a miracle of faith and perseverance and her story needs to be shared.

We were visiting the slum where our children live, going to different houses to pray with families. I noticed alittle girl wearing a dirty, tattered blue dress. Her smile was captivating.

Our translator pulled her forward and said, “Dolsi wants to share her testimony.”

My first thought was “How can this seven-year-old have a testimony?”

Dolsi became an orphan when she was four. Her parents died of tuberculosis, which here in the U.S., we not only have a vaccine for, but it is easily treatable.

After her parents died, Dolsi lived in the hut alone for several days before her grandmother received word and went for her. She was sleeping and a “man with a smile” came to her in a dream. He comforted her and told her how much He loved her. Dolsi’s grandmother brought her back to the slum where she lives now in a single room house with her grandmother, aunt and four cousins.

The household came to know Jesus Christ through The Good Samaritan Church.

Once Dolsi shared about the man in her dream, her grandmother told her it was Jesus who came to her and they cried together. Now Dolsi is learning to read.

She says, “I want to read the Bible everyday.”

As we sat there and listened to this little girl, her faith in God was being poured out. Her incredible testimony was being translated, but the real impact she had on us needed no translation. In spite of Dolsi’s horrific circumstances, her faith in God was steadfast.

We prayed before leaving and I opened my eyes to see Dolsi raising her hands and whispering “yes, Lord” in Hindi. You can see her share a bit in this video:

HopeChest has remarkable opportunities to engage in ministry all across the globe. Our partnership with Friends of the Good Samaritan is bearing great fruit and has ready capacity to double in size. If you want to be a light to  communities in Delhi, consider joining us in our work.

Seth Barnes

posted February 26, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Dolsi is so precious! What a lovely voice. What an awesome testimony!

Rhonda

posted February 26, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Hearing Dolsi sing so beautifully of her Savior melted my heart. Praise Jesus she knows Him now as her Heavenly Father! Hopefully she has a good Bible, (with pictures=), in her language.. If her grandmother would allow her to be adopted, I’d start the paperwork right away, seriously! (Mr. Davis?=) Otherwise, perhaps God has a plan for her there to be an Evangelist! Either way, she will remain in my prayers.

Steve Brandt

posted February 26, 2011 at 9:22 pm

The Praises of the Lord in another language is amazing…I got to hear it in an Ugandan language this week! Praise HIM. Bob, be safe over there. you are in our prayers.

Tom Davis

posted February 26, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Not sure she’s available for adoption Rhonda. But I’ll check!

Nancy

posted February 26, 2011 at 10:28 pm

We have one daughter from India who is 4, and are waiting for another — you can bet I’m going to let her “meet” Dolsi by watching this video. Thanks for your work spreading the Gospel in India!
Nancy

Joy

posted February 27, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Great testimony, and just like Jesus. Thanks for sharing this.

Amanda

posted February 27, 2011 at 5:29 pm

What an amazing story! What kind of help do they need? I would love to get involved!

Michael Vinson

posted February 28, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Hi Amanda,
I work with Children’s HopeChest and would enjoy talking about your passion to get involved in our work. Shoot me an email and let’s chat.
Blessings,
Michael Vinson
Strategic Partnership Director
mvinson@hopechest.org

More Blogs to Enjoy!!
Thank you for visiting Red Letters. This blog is no longer being updated. Please  enjoy the archives. Also, here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Activist Faith Is It the End of the World

posted 9:51:43am May. 29, 2013 | read full post »

Download SCARED for free on Nov. 1 & 2!
The publisher of Scared is giving away free e-book downloads on November 1 & 2. Don't miss this great deal. Download Scared today! Download your free Scared e-book! A Note from the Author: Tom Davis Scared is a work of fiction, but the world and life stories described in the book

posted 5:05:29am Nov. 01, 2012 | read full post »

Touching the Image of Jesus: Part 3
In the final chapter of Alexandra's story, she shares what happened when she boarded the plane for Swaziland with her teammates. This post is a little longer, but I'm pretty sure you won't be able to put it down. Thank you again, Alexandra, for sharing your heart and story with all of us. Fol

posted 9:50:18am Sep. 13, 2012 | read full post »

Touching the Image of Jesus: Part 2
When we left Alexandra, she was wondering how she was going to raise $3,411 to travel across the world with a group of Christians she didn't know. She wasn't a Christian and had no church. But she did feel deeply compelled to get on this trip to the Ludlati CarePoint. So she decided to enter a

posted 4:17:01pm Sep. 10, 2012 | read full post »

Touching the Image of Jesus: Part 1
[caption id="attachment_2722" align="alignright" width="300"] Alexandra, looking ready.[/caption] Sometimes there's a lot more going on than we can see with our physical eyes. At least, that appears true in the case of Alexandra Warwick. I first introduced you to Alexandra in this post, Reje

posted 11:01:13am Sep. 06, 2012 | read full post »