My last few posts have stirred quite a bit of controversy around Sex Trafficking and CraigsList. One of the suggestions I made was to boycott CraigsList and my good friend, (who I love dearly!) Anne Jackson, doesn't agree with me on that point. The debate is pretty hot in her comments section. You should check it out.
Fine, we all have are opinions. But let me say that this is not an issue of, and I quote, "It’s the Christian Status Quo to boycott." This has nothing to do with our voices being heard because we are Christian. It has to do with our voices being heard because we are human. I wouldn't even approach CraigsList about this because "it's against my Christian values," but because they're practices are against the law, and provides the opportunity for sex traffickers to use the site to enslave and abuse women without any monitoring or repercussions.
Whatever you choose to do, please do something. Scripture does tell us to, "Seek Justice," and we all have to live that out. Why don't we start by praying together.
Scriptures to study:
- Isaiah 1:17: Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow.
- Psalm 25:20: Guard my life and rescue me; let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.
- Psalm 18:48 : Who saves me from my enemies. You exalted me above my foes; from violent men you rescued me.
Pray for the eyes of the rescue organizations to be opened to see girls who need rescuing Pray that the rescuers who are strategizing how to rescue will have discernment Pray for safety during rescue efforts
Thanks to the Salvation Army for the following:
Rescue and Restoration
Pray for the rescue and restoration of the countless number of children who have become victims of sexual trafficking, including the following:
- for an end to their captivity and sexual abuse,
- for as many safe and secure shelters as are needed to provide for their material needs,
- for loving care takers to provide comfort, solace, and a sense of family,
- for training and education to provide these children with meaningful and productive livelihoods,
- for medical treatment to meet their many health concerns;
- for the Gospel message to reach their ears and be received in their hearts
Breakdown of the Sex Industry
Pray for the breakdown of the sex industry, which fuels the sexual trafficking and commercial sexual exploitation of children, including the following:
- the demise of pornographic magazines;
- a ban on internet pornography and sex tourism sites;
- for the closure of clubs with nude dancing and stripping;
- strong law enforcement efforts the world over to enforce obscenity laws, fight corruption, and to arrest/convict the pimps, traffickers and “customers”;
- permanently close all brothels.