Red Letters

Red Letters

Defend the Cause of the Orphan

posted by Tom Davis

I just finished a radio interview with my friend and and Executive Director of the Christian Alliance for Orphans, Jedd Medefind. We were asked to appear on a radio program to discuss the release of the movie Orphan,which I blogged about on Friday (See: The True "Horror.").

I just received another call from a Moody station for another interview.

While in the middle of this interview, it became apparent to me that this is exactly the opportunity to defend the cause of the orphan. But instead of cursing the darkness, let's put the truth on display.

I want to challenge my readers and friends to write 500 positive blog posts about how an orphan has impacted and changed your life. Post this on your own blog so that when people search for the movie, they are flooded with positive messages about adoption and orphan care.

Just finish this sentence: "Warner Bros. new horror movie Orphan proclaims that it must be hard to love an adopted child as much as your own. Let me tell you about how an orphan changed my life…"

This is the heart of defending orphans. Help push back the darkness and deceit here by holding up as an example the powerful love that adoption and orphan care can unleash.

Here's how you can defend the orphan:

1. Write a "positive protest post" on your blog that references the movie, Orphan.
2. Focus on your orphan care or adoption story that is positive, redeeming, and full of love.
3. Link your post here via a trackback or comment.
4. Send out an e-mail, Facebook message, or tweet to get others to do the same on their blogs.

If you don't have a blog, post your store on the Christian Alliance for Orphans Site.

Make sure you link back or comment here so we can keep track of the 500 posts.

Stephen

posted July 27, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Warner Bros. new movie Orphan goes over the top to fuel a stigma that has long plagued orphans. In the trailer, a nine year old girl named Esther is adopted by a couple who recently lost an unborn child. As the story unfolds, Esther is shown to be a very disturbed little girl, full of deceit, violence and hatred.
One part of the trailer shows Esther saying, “It must be hard to love an adopted child as much as your own.” When I heard this, I had to remind myself that this is true ignorance speaking and not reality, because reality knows no difference.
I’d like to share two stories of my involvement with orphans. I have numerous experiences I can share, but for the sake of not writing a lengthy novel, I will keep it to only two.
The first experience I can share is the adoption of both our children. My wife and I have adopted a boy and a girl. Our son was a domestic adoption and our daughter, from China. They are the pride and joy our lives. There is not a difference in the world between a child who is born to you and a child which is “chosen.” However, as we tell our kids, most parents don’t get to choose their children, but we got to choose them and that makes them all the more special. Adoptive children offer all the same joys, happiness and trials biological children offer.
After experiencing about seven years of infertility, my wife and I decided to adopt rather than gamble a lot of money on a “chance” of a child. We moved forward into the process of adopting from China, during that time, God presented us with another adoption opportunity, to adopt a child of a single mom unable to keep her baby. Since this situation presented itself to us at a time when we were clearly not looking, we both knew this was God saying this was our son and that we needed to move forward.
A year after our son’s entrance into our family our China adoption was beginning to come to realization. We left for China less than three weeks after our son’s first birthday and met our daughter five days before her first birthday. Their birthdays are 20 days apart, but our “twins” are as different as night and day.
As we went from one child to two, we knew that if we were to grow our family larger that we only wanted to do this through adoption. We know many families who even though they had adopted still had the longing to have a biological child. Moira and I were, and are completely contrary to this. From our first adoption on we always were thankful when we knew another month had passed and Moira was not pregnant. This was because of the overwhelming joy and satisfaction of knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that God’s children are no different whether they carry our DNA or not. If our family is to ever grow again, adoption has always been our choice.
Another experience I had was just a little over five years ago. God made it very clear to me that I was to join our church on a trip and go to two Russian orphanages. At the time both my kids were 2 ½ years old, so I assumed I would spend much of my time in Russia with children of a similar age. I was wrong!!!
After arriving at an orphanage in Ivanova, Russia about three months later, I awkwardly stepped off the bus and stood dazed and confused. Standing with me were eight others in my group and about 20 beautiful boys and girls from the orphanage, ranging in age from 5 to 15. I stood looking around, trying to imagine how these kids felt, wondering why they were there and how was I going to make their lives any better. Maybe five minutes went by until one of the children said something. Our interpreter translated the request, “Does anyone want to play a game?” It took one of these kids to break the ice, not one of the nine adults! All of us nodded our heads as it was the only way for us to communicate our agreement with the idea. Not two seconds later, a young lady of 12 came and took my hand. She claimed me as her partner in the game. It was at this point I knew I was not there to play with 2 ½ year olds, but I was there to spend time with this girl, her sister and three of their friends.
The following six days proved to be some of the best six days of my life. I built solid relationships with each of them. We talked about why some of them were there, how they were coping with being there and what their dreams and aspirations were. I did not see resentment or bitterness in these girls. I saw hope, love and lots of determination to make it.
Not one child was there because of anything they did, and I can assure you none of them chose to be there. Every child in an orphanage has been traumatized at least twice. First, because of the event which made them “eligible” to be in an orphanage and second, the day they were place in the orphanage and all the security they knew had been stripped from them.
They day we left the orphanage was the single worst day of my life. I have never been so sad about anything in my life. At that point I didn’t know what would happen to them, or if I’d get to see them ever again. Those five girls have so much to give, and I only hope every one of them has a chance to use their talents and make the difference each of them is capable of making. Through them, I learned some painful hard truths about myself too.
Fortunately, that was not the last time I saw them. I went back two more times in the next 13 months. The 12 year old who took my hand on that first day now lives in the United States with her sister. I still keep in touch with them and am glad for the happiness they’ve have in their new found family.
With that said, I wish I could say to Esther, my two kids and the kids in Ivanova are my own. I love them all very much, just as I know they love me.

Tony

posted July 27, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Great idea Tom. Posted my story here:
I look forward to your visit to our church in Cypress next month.
Tony

Jamie Arpin-Ricci

posted July 27, 2009 at 3:52 pm

Here’s my post (tried earlier, but my comment disappeared).
Peace,
Jamie

Diane

posted July 27, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Here is a link to our blog.
I am the mother of 4 former “orphans” that are now MY children!

Mark

posted July 27, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Thanks Tom! My post is here – http://tiny.cc/orphanpost

Mary

posted July 27, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Thanks for drawing some positive attention to orphans!
Here’s my post:

Karen Wistrom

posted July 27, 2009 at 11:06 pm

Thanks for shining the light of truth, Tom! Here’s my post:

Carrie

posted July 28, 2009 at 9:54 am

Love this thread. I don’t have a blog and our family hasn’t adopted an orphan but we sponsor several through Watoto Church in Uganda. We love them so much and have been blessed to travel and spend time with them. We feel fortunate to be part of a group of people working to raise up these young children to be men and women of God. They are put in a home-like environment and loved by a “mommy”. When we visited last, the loving bond between our children and their mom was tangible. They are cheerful and happy and like any other children their age. Although they don’t live with us, we love them unconditionally and don’t look at them as orphans, but as our special children. God is so good to allow us to be part of this.
Thanks again for this thread and bringing awareness.

Christine

posted July 28, 2009 at 11:11 am

Thanks for sharing and giving a voice to all of us. Here’s my link.

Cheryl

posted July 28, 2009 at 11:12 am

Tom, thank you for ALL your efforts in defending the cause of the orphans!
My post is here:
btw… just finished reading “Scared”. It was brilliant… truly touching.

Kelly Vanderwell

posted July 28, 2009 at 11:31 am

adam barnett

posted July 28, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Hey Tom! Great call to rally people together for this cause! Here’s my post on this topic: http://www.adambarnett.typepad.com/
Also, one idea is to have everyone put the words “Orphan” or “Movie” in the title of their post. That way, every time someone searches online for information about this movie, these posts will fill people’s computer screens!
Thanks for hearing the Lord and continuing to inspire us…

Eva Marie Everson

posted July 28, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Hey Tom!
I just told my own story at my blog! Thx for suggesting this!
Eva Marie Everson

Shonni

posted July 28, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Our story is on our blog. Thank you so much for doing this! We have ten children, and 7 have come home through the wonders of adoption.

Amy @ Living a Blessed Life

posted July 28, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Tom – This is a great, God-inspired idea. Thank you! I’ve written an honest post about our daughter, Sara, and the healing and transformation she has experienced. It’s not a flowery store, but an honest sharing of all that God has brought our family through. He is a redemptive God and oh-so-good!
Blessings & JOY,
Amy

Amy @ Living a Blessed Life

posted July 28, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Sorry…flowery STORY! ;-) I’ve been on the computer too long!

Amy Bottomly

posted July 28, 2009 at 8:03 pm

Kristen

posted July 28, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Hey Tom,
Thanks for starting this.

Brandi

posted July 29, 2009 at 10:50 am

Here’s my post:
Love this idea! Hope LOTS more participate!
Bran

Leigh

posted July 29, 2009 at 10:51 am

Tom Davis

posted July 29, 2009 at 10:58 am

Love these stories. You all are so inspiring! Thanks for sharing. We’re up to about 100 blog posts that we know of!

Jenny

posted July 29, 2009 at 11:33 am

Sarah

posted July 29, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Hi! I don’t have a blog, but needed to participate in this! I wrote my post over on the Orphan’s Deserve Better sight, but here is it is again:
I am not really a writer, more of a talker, and a do-er, but I can’t help but write out our story. We adopted a little 7 year old boy from the foster system this past year who was severely neglected and abused. It was not too late for him!
He has many issues that we need to work through, but GOD is so much bigger than that. Our new son has not destroyed our family, but enriched our family. He has called us to live a life outside of ourselves. We have three other biological children. He has taught us peace, patience, and to trust God.
He has changed a lot since coming to our family. He has calmed down, there is a sense of peace and belonging in his eyes, he knows that he is LOVED. HE IS MY SON. When I think of him on a waiting children’s list, it seems foreign to me. We found him on a list like that and I can see his picture on the list, but now when I see that picture, I hardly believe that it is the same child.
There are 120,000 children in the US foster care waiting to be adopted and millions of orphan’s world-wide. God has called us as Christians to do something about it. We have been called to take care of the orphans. Will you?

Julie Neal

posted July 29, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Thank you so much for bring a positive light on Orphans.

Molly Shockley

posted July 29, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Just tried to link mine but something happened. Sorry if this is commented twice! I just posted here http://shockleyfamily.blogspot.com/2009/07/positive-protest-post.html
Thanks for asking us to be a part of this!

emily

posted July 29, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Not sure where my comment went- I posted earlier today. Thanks for this!

jmomma

posted July 29, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Here’s my story. although my kids aren’t orphans, they are adopted so i took the liberty of including our story anyway. here’s my link.

Karen

posted July 29, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Here is my blog…thanks for sharing the idea.

Amy

posted July 29, 2009 at 8:25 pm

tymm

posted July 29, 2009 at 8:41 pm

mccourtney3@yahoo,com

posted July 29, 2009 at 10:22 pm

I would be happy to post something on my blog too. We live in Uganda and have 8 children, 6 of whom we are adopting from the country–one is a total orphan due to the LRA rebels in N. Uganda and the other five were abandoned on the streets or in local hospitals. When I heard about this movie I was sick. We can not let the enemy get yet another footing.

Amy Savage

posted July 30, 2009 at 9:07 am

Here’s my response:
So glad that you encouraged us to put truth on display!!
Amy Savage

Daniel Clark

posted July 30, 2009 at 10:52 am

An orphan changed my life: http://tinyurl.com/m4ysjb

Valerie

posted July 30, 2009 at 12:50 pm

jennifer

posted July 30, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Cari Buchanan

posted July 30, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Awesome idea!
My post is saved under “Orphan” and can be found at:
-Cari

Sandra

posted July 31, 2009 at 3:29 pm

becky

posted July 31, 2009 at 7:45 pm

our orphans are still waiting. we love. we pray. we hope. they aren’t oprhans anymore…they are ours.
defending along with you!

Erica

posted August 1, 2009 at 10:16 am

My post is going up shortly. Thank you for starting this Tom!

Evelyn

posted August 1, 2009 at 8:42 pm

Angie Laubach

posted August 1, 2009 at 10:55 pm

Tom,
Thank you for your obedience. May the Lord continue to work through you for orphans.
Here’s the link to our blog: http://www.angandjimethiopia.blogspot.com
Angie

Kay

posted August 3, 2009 at 6:20 am

Tom,
Thank you for all of your work. God bless you!
My post is here:

Tom Davis

posted August 4, 2009 at 8:29 am

These posts are so inspiring! Thanks to everyone who is participating in this. I know of hundreds and hundreds of people who have posted something positive. Keep it up!

Sharon

posted August 7, 2009 at 10:51 am

This is such a great idea, a very great way to defend the orphan. Here is my post:

Erin Moore

posted August 12, 2009 at 6:18 am

I didn’t follow the rules exactly, however, I did just write a post about what it has meant to me to care for orphans.

Paul

posted August 19, 2009 at 1:16 am

We have several stories that we could share, but we chose to share one that is very dear to us.
Thanks for for doing this.
Here is our story.

Becky

posted August 22, 2009 at 2:30 pm

I’m a little late on this, but here’s my story:

Orphan Soundtrack

posted April 15, 2010 at 7:00 am

Thank you for sharing information !! Have you seen the film “The Orphan” ? It is very good horror movie. Some people also don’t like this movie. But According to me, It is very good movie to watch.