Red Letters

Red Letters

Sponsorship of Kolfe Orphanage in Ethiopia

posted by Tom Davis

Kolfe orphanage is an incredible place filled with 130 boys outside Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. After spendingt just a few hours with the young men there, I was struck by how polite, engaging and smart they are. They are so conversational I almost didn't realize that this orphanage is situated on a dumping ground. Kolfe
Every window is broken out of every building except the office and the only thing more prominent than garbage and glass on the ground is the red dust that covers every square inch of this horrible place. I see two possible roads for these boys. Down the first I see future husbands, fathers, and leaders of Ethiopia. Down the second I see death. I will occasionally use hyperbole to make a point but be clear that this not one of those times.

What They Need

Family. The boys of Kolfe need a church family with a heart for seeing boys become men. They need role models and mentors. They need someone to see their potential and walk with them through life to help them realize it. Here's an overview of Children's HopeChest's  orphanage sponsorship program. Thanks to Sam Henry at Red Letters Campaign for the post.

Kolfe2
The Basics
. Serving these boys begins with meeting their basic needs for survival. Today and tonight they are exposed to the elements living in dormitories that are in shambles. Their food is meager and mean non-existent. Children's Hopechest needs to raise $25K immediately to repair housing facilities, provide beds, and buy books while we find a church sponsor. If you would like to GIVE click here and mark Kolfe orphanage as the recipient.

Help. We are hiring in-country staff to oversee and manage these Sponsorship programs and to identify additional sponsorship opportunities. The field teams' role is threefold: 1) Point of continuity, trust, and fun to the kids throughout the year. 2) Point of financial accountability for orphanage leadership. 3) Facilitate connections between the sponsoring church and children in the orphanage.

If you are interested in recruiting a church or community to sponsor Kolfe, please contact me immediately at tdavis@hopechest.org. We already have 3 sponsorships in process since returning last week!
KolfeMikeTodd

Mike

posted October 28, 2008 at 6:08 pm

Amen Tom. These are incredible young men living in squalor conditions.

Brandi

posted October 28, 2008 at 7:11 pm

Praying with you. The conditions are horrifying.
Brandi

Sam & Wendi Henry

posted October 28, 2008 at 7:21 pm

Copying this link to our blog. This one just might have hit Sam the hardest; he certainly has a heart for young men. We are trusting God for Kolfe.

Jamie Wallace

posted October 28, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Amen Tom. Praying for this need to be met. These boys are amazing. In the midst of the squalor they are forced to live in, they took me to their garden where they were showing off the flowers they are going.
More pictures of the boys here: http://flickr.com/photos/jamiemw/tags/kolfe/

Shelly

posted October 28, 2008 at 10:28 pm

Thrilled to see God working on behalf of the needs of these dear boys. We just heard from our “far away son” Getahun this morning again who finds his home at Kolfe for the last several years. He is believing that God cares for them …. yet is left wondering if anything will change. How grateful we are for all you are doing to be a voice for this young men.
How I long to see our boy again one day. Until then, we’ll continue to love him, pray for him and write to him …. we are SO blessed to have him in our lives.

Amy Bottomly

posted October 29, 2008 at 6:26 am

ohh the sweet Kolfe boys… I posted about it on my blog as well.

Wes Roberts

posted October 29, 2008 at 8:23 am

…you and Mike Todd continue to rock my world!!
…your individual and combined hearts for the poor of our would challenge me in all the necessary ways
…extra thankful for the value of your recent trip, for both of you

alice

posted November 4, 2008 at 10:47 am

hi,
i just finished reading your book “Fields of the Fatherless” and i’m planning to read “The Red Letters” shortly. i’ve been on my own personal adoption journey for over 2yrs… from Ukraine to Vietnam to Russia. if you have time, could you drop me an e-mail sometime as i’d love to ask you some questions.
God Bless,
Alice

Mary Ann

posted November 26, 2010 at 11:03 am

Can you tell me anything more about the arrest of the boys at Kolfe and how we can help those in jail?

More Blogs to Enjoy!!
Thank you for visiting Red Letters. This blog is no longer being updated. Please  enjoy the archives. Also, here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Activist Faith Is It the End of the World

posted 9:51:43am May. 29, 2013 | read full post »

Download SCARED for free on Nov. 1 & 2!
The publisher of Scared is giving away free e-book downloads on November 1 & 2. Don't miss this great deal. Download Scared today! Download your free Scared e-book! A Note from the Author: Tom Davis Scared is a work of fiction, but the world and life stories described in the book

posted 5:05:29am Nov. 01, 2012 | read full post »

Touching the Image of Jesus: Part 3
In the final chapter of Alexandra's story, she shares what happened when she boarded the plane for Swaziland with her teammates. This post is a little longer, but I'm pretty sure you won't be able to put it down. Thank you again, Alexandra, for sharing your heart and story with all of us. Fol

posted 9:50:18am Sep. 13, 2012 | read full post »

Touching the Image of Jesus: Part 2
When we left Alexandra, she was wondering how she was going to raise $3,411 to travel across the world with a group of Christians she didn't know. She wasn't a Christian and had no church. But she did feel deeply compelled to get on this trip to the Ludlati CarePoint. So she decided to enter a

posted 4:17:01pm Sep. 10, 2012 | read full post »

Touching the Image of Jesus: Part 1
[caption id="attachment_2722" align="alignright" width="300"] Alexandra, looking ready.[/caption] Sometimes there's a lot more going on than we can see with our physical eyes. At least, that appears true in the case of Alexandra Warwick. I first introduced you to Alexandra in this post, Reje

posted 11:01:13am Sep. 06, 2012 | read full post »