Red Letters

Red Letters

Johannesburg – The Most Dangerous City in the World

posted by Tom Davis

Sorry to give Joburg, South Africa, bad press, but truth is truth. Johannesburg is the most dangerous, deadly city on our planet. Recent stats show that there are over 50 murders per day, 700 assaults, 356 aggravated robberies, and 150 rapes. People, that’s more deadly than Iraq. And they are hosting the 2010 World Cup? You can read the gory details in an article by Reuters/Africa here. My buddy, Gary Black is there now picking up his wife, Lisa. Be careful Black family! The good news is that they are at least trying to make the place safer for The Cup by adding 11,000 new police every year. You can read the hyped up, overly positive version Here.  One of the key reasons this happens in South Africa is the dividing line between the rich and poor. The rich live in luxury and look off their decks and the poor who are starving in the valley. And they don’t care. No compassion, no kindness, nothing. Apathy is the worst kind of sin and if compassion doesn’t take over in some way, there will be more bloodshed on the horizon.

Herman

posted May 13, 2007 at 6:53 pm

Johannesburg is nowhere near the most dangerous city in the world.
Caracas (Venezuela), Baghdad (Iraq), Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), Recife (Brazil), Port-au-Prince (Haiti) and San Pedro Sula (Honduras) are all comprehensively more dangerous than Jo’burg. The 50 murders a day you quoted in fact take place across the whiole of South Africa, not Johannesburg!
Your comparison with Iraq is yet another ogf these peculiar claims made by people who in most cases are simply twisting the statistics.
Iraq has half the population of South Africa yet twice as many violent deaths (anything from simple revenge, conventional terrorisnm/sectarianism to full-scale warfare involving the mechanized might of the US military).
Baghdad alone often records a similar number of violent deaths than the whole of South Africa so you have it the wrong way round. Johannesburg for the record has about 8 murders a day in a city of 7.5 million.

El Pana

posted June 27, 2007 at 12:20 am

That’s true. The first is Río de Janeiro; the second, Caracas. Venezuela has a daily rate of aprox. 30-40 homicides with 27 million people. In fact, Venezuela is the country with more annual deaths by gunfire. Tom, you’re certainly wrong. Those stats are from all South Africa, if not beyond.

Andy

posted August 20, 2007 at 4:38 pm

What about the UK. Murder by gun or knife is not the only murders that should be counted. What about murder by pulling the body apart or salt poisoning. Around 530 of these murders happen per day in England and Wales
In the USA there are approximately 3700 of these murders per day!
The only difference is that it is not called murder, it is called Pro Choice or Abortion.

Ross Swaby

posted January 22, 2008 at 8:58 am

I think that all of you stupid people are wack, Johannesburg is my birth place and I know how dangerous it is!! If any of you even step foot out on the streets in the city you will understand what I mean…

Daf

posted January 24, 2008 at 6:11 am

I have to agree with Andy to a certain extent, although I cannot confirm the statistics with Tom. Johannesburg is truly frightening. And the 50 a day is not surprising when you see how many people there are in the city. There are smaller places that are just as terrifying in Haiti, Brazil, Bogota, etc plus an English soldier in Belfast…oh dear! Its not just the poor and the rich in Johannesburg its the colour/culture/tribal clashes. I think the safest place today right now is….the Isle of Mull.

Herman

posted January 26, 2008 at 6:25 pm

Some of the people on here need to pay Caracas or Recife a visit, seriously. Excluding war zones, Jo’burg is about the 9th most dangerous city in the world currently with numerous cities such as the aforementioned Caracas and Recife, Cape Town, Cali, San Salvador, Rio de Janeiro, Durban and Sao Paulo being worse.
And once again, the 50 murders are for the WHOLE of South Africa. The greater Johannesburg region (nearly 8 million people) has 7 murders a day.

Herman

posted February 9, 2008 at 5:42 am

A very lazy, factually inaccurate article.

Tom Davis

posted February 9, 2008 at 7:26 am

Hey everyone, I appreciate your comments but denial will not help Joburg become safe. I didn’t come up with these stats, just reported them. Here is a BBC article saying the same thing: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/1916969.stm

Elenore

posted February 26, 2008 at 9:16 pm

I agree with your comments on Johannesburg being dangerous but your reasonsing behind it are total and utter garbage!”The rich live in luxury and look off their decks and the poor who are starving in the valley”. Get your facts straight before you post such CRAP!!!!!

Max

posted February 29, 2008 at 3:16 pm

Statistics are misleading.
Right today Colombian cities like Bogota and Medellin are amongst the SAFEST of all Latinamerica.
Most of murders in Colombia are in deep countryside.
I used to San Jose Costa Rica and for me Bogota is safe like a heaven, in San Jose you juts walk out 5 minutes and if you pull out your wallet or your cell hpone you are a dead man, anywhere anytime.
Only 2% of murders in Costa Rica are reported. In fact Amblulances trying to pick up dozens of corpses every day is being shot constantly… bodies are just found in the rivers or amongst the garbe without identity cards and never counted.

Herman

posted April 8, 2008 at 4:47 pm

LMAO Max you just made that Costa Rica stuff up, I’d take my chances in San Jose over Bogota any day. Bogota and Medellin have experienced two of the biggest DROPS in murders in Latin America (and the world), that does not mean they are two of the SAFEST cities on the continent.
I see Tom’s still in denial. Latest figures for greater metropoles show Belo Horizonte has more murders with a smaller population than Johannesburg – and I didn’t even MENTION that city!

Herman

posted April 8, 2008 at 4:51 pm

Most murders in Colombia are, in fact, in urban areas btw – it’s well known to those in the field.

Pule

posted April 21, 2008 at 10:51 am

Tom get your facts straight buddy and do more research and the fact that BBC report that, it doesnt me you should believe it. CCTV cameras help to reduce crime in Joburg and you dont mention that.
Yes, there is crime in Joburg but its been blown out of proportion. This city is working to solve its problems. We live here and love it but we still want the authorities to deal with crime and working together we have seen success.
Hating the country or the city doesnt blindfold you to see its good or success. Come 2010 and you will be surprised, we are working as the country and city.
Please visit Johannesburg daily photo blog and see how we progressing.

Chad

posted April 23, 2008 at 8:45 am

Cape Town which is known to be safer has a higher murder rate per capita than joburg, since Cape town is gang infested compare to joburg alot of the crime is unreported, but yes this guys right joburg is probably the worst, Rio doesnt come close, havent been to the rest so i wouldnt know and that 50 per day is joburg alone.

Herman

posted April 26, 2008 at 2:27 am

“Rio doesnt come close”
On the contrary, Rio is considerably more violent than Jo’burg and Cape Town. It’s pretty obvious there’s a clear gulf in violence between the cities.
Rio also has a very likely underestimate in it’s murders due to rampant police corruption as in other Latin American countries, which possibly explains the surprising closeness between murder rates of Cape Town/Jo’burg alongside Rio.
South African cities, dangerous as they are, just seem safer. Incidents of violence in these Latin nations are markedly more spectacular than those in South Africa. I’ll have to dig out that web article of the Portuguese priest who lived and worked in the ghettoes of Sao Paulo and JHB…he stated Sao Paulo was comfortably the more dangerous city.
Caracas positively obliterates Johannesburg for murders. Throw in Buenaventura, Colombia as well. Cape Town’s dangerous and probably worse than Johannesburg. Not much in it though.
The 50 a day is SOUTH AFRICA. Got it? Let me spell it out…S-O-U-T-H A-F-R-I-C-A. It seems people enjoy making up their own murder stats for JHB.
I heard there were 200 murders a day in Caracas.
Only Joking. :p

Herman

posted April 26, 2008 at 2:32 am

Not to comment twice in a row in a row, I think Pule’s one of the few sane people who have posted here.

TS

posted May 2, 2008 at 5:15 pm

“…And they don’t care. No compassion, no kindness, nothing.”
I live in Johannesburg and this quoted statement of yours is a huge and inaccurate generalization.
Perhaps when you say “…they don’t care..”, you should clarify who it is that you are referring to. Corrupt politicians? Perhaps.
But the average Joe & Jill on the street does care a great deal. I see compassion and kindness on a daily basis all around me, in all the people I meet (black, white, coloured, indian, chinese etc.).
It all starts with our own attitude, and if every person chooses to be negative then we aren’t going to get very far.
But more and more I hear the good news, and before long we will be hearing more of the good than the bad.
And then, Tom Davis, you will have to change the title of your Blog to “Johannesburg – The Safest City in the World.” :)

Abdullah

posted May 12, 2008 at 6:23 pm

I Mogadishu, Somalia is the most dangerous city in the world because there no police to report to

c

posted June 5, 2008 at 8:56 am

i do agree that johannesburg is the most dangerous city, but how dare you say that the rich have no compassion or kindness. after the recent xenophobic attacks who do you think provided shelter, food and blankets to the victims?? you don’t live here, so what do you know?? get your facts straight.

Spencer

posted July 23, 2008 at 7:04 am

This is typical of a one-eyed, misinformed (at best) outsider’s view, and completely wrong. I live in Johannesburg, and let me tell yout this: rather here than Cape Town any day. Your ‘facts’ are wrong, your reporting biased and unfounded. Johannesburg is a wonderful city, and probably has the best weather in South Africa to boot. And as for us ‘uncaring’ people? You’re wrong again. We care. Deeply. And what’s more, we actually get off our asses and try to DO something about the poor and unfortunate. Please remember, Johannesburg is not the only city with crime, it is not the only city with rich people, and it is certainly not the only city with poor people. Want a better view? http://www.jozivibe.co.za – do it.

$

posted August 9, 2008 at 1:48 pm

i’m a proud son of Jozi and i feel so much pride to call my city the most dangerous city in the world, yes i see that stats are saying that it probably isn’t, but this is the mentality of a jozi boy, we love danger and crime and gangs. the truth about my city is you can live here with out having any problem and the people are mostly friendly, you can easily go to hilbrow(renowned to be or have been the most dangerous of joburg and said to have been the most dangerous place in the world) and have no problem what so ever, even if you go out at night there you can have a great time(depending who you are ofcoarse). but that doesnt take away from the fact its a badass city. ive been shot and shot at numerous times and my house has been cleaned out a number of times too. but i love it all thats what makes jozi jozi to me. Capetown is damn safe in the city, just think about it most white kids go out in capetown city i dont know many that would go out in jozi city! but capetown is worse than jozi in the ghettos like the southern suburbs, flats, michells plain etc. coloured gangmembers are hardcore, with huge egos.ho$h! 26′s 28′s all ova. but go to all kinds of sa ghettos and u will find bad gangsters. if you are going to be in jozi or capetown, look tough dont bother people ignore the insults in capetown, because u are going to get alot! and dont act scared! and ofcoarse dont act like a racist or predjudice white!

Ricardo

posted August 19, 2008 at 2:23 pm

What most people don’t consider is that statistics, particularly those regarding crimes be it violent or otherwise, are taken from reported incidents which means to things: One, the imputed statistics do not represent the what is really happening and two, that the Police are actually being used for their purpose(or at the very least part thereof) because crime is probably being reported more here(cos I’m a Jozi boy) than down in the Cape for example. Also, MISPERCEPTION has a huge affect on how people think: I wait in Braamfontein for the bus and it’s not half as bad as most people make it out to be…and for future reference it’s slander to say rich people are “apathetic” your view is not well balanced-it’s offensive.

William

posted August 29, 2008 at 6:44 pm

I just hate it when I hear about these Black and Latino Americans rapping about how bad South Central L.A and the Projects.
By far, I pour my heart out more to the people of Johannesburg. I have many friends from South Africa alot of them white, who grew up in hell, some called it. They’ve all immigrated from SA to here in New Zealand.
I’m lucky enough to have spent my childhood in paradise in the south pacific called Tonga.
My cousin played for the Australian Wallabies Rugby Team and they toured Europe, South America and South Africa. He said South Johannesburg Soweto was the saddest place he had ever seen.
My friends say people will kill you for a gold watch, even if it was a fake. People will sneak up behind you and slit your throat just for belonging to different tribe in broad daylight. Not just Johannesburg is dangerous but all over South Africa. In SA, if you are white, after high school you must be conscripted into the army, like Israel and Korea. The danger factor speaks for itself there.
But I would say the number one thing that separates Johannesburg from all the other cities (including countries in war) is epidemic of HIV and AIDS. It’s AFRICA, you can work the HIV and AIDS stats out for yourself.
This is a really stupid debate by the way.

Ray

posted September 5, 2008 at 5:12 pm

It is unfortunate that I only see this post now. Johannesburg is very dangerous and some of the other things mentioned. However, it has NOTHING to do with division amongst rich and poor. South Africans have hearts of gold and there are thousands of compassionate and caring people that dedicate hours and lifes towards educating, feeding and LOVING people that are less fortunate. You have no idea how many caring people you have. Think about it, being struck by crime and violence every day. Let me tell you, all that we have left is heart, compassion, love and to really appreciate every moment in life, with friends, family and your fellow human being. The reason that there is so much violence is because of a BELIEVE that the richer man owes the poor, so they take. They murder because they dont care and some gangs believe that the land is theirs and the have to kill out certain people. And the Goverment, laws, Police service and conviction of crimes are extremely poor. Every few years, 1000′s of criminals are freed from jail to make space for “new criminals”. Further to that, the laws in some regards protect criminals. For example, when your house is being broken into, and some guy is raping your wife, and you shoot him in the back (because he is on top of your wife) you are the one that will go to jail for murder, and the rapist, if not dead, minimum sentence or free for that matter – reason for your sentence – you may only shoot someone in self defence and you may not shoot people in the back. Anyway, there are 1000′s of examples and reasons. The main reasons is a corrupt Goverment – with the next elected President (Zuma) facing charges of Fraud and Rape, and the chances are 100% that he will be president of the country next year. And he has loyal supporters, thousands of them, because they believe that HE will share his fraudelent gain to money with them who follows him. Deception, and the response when they find out that they have been deceived is to cause chaos and further crime…. anger… The bottom line and defense here is that you will not ANYWHERE in the world get more caring and loving people in a square kilometre, than you get in Johannesburg and SOUTH AFRICA.

Jeff Goins

posted September 6, 2008 at 11:35 am

Just googled “johannesburg most dangerous city” and this came up number 1. Nice job! You need to do more posts like this.

carlos

posted September 28, 2008 at 9:58 am

well, thanks for the info, but what about mexico city?

hud

posted October 4, 2008 at 2:52 pm

you are all mistaken, let’s argue with facts, Caracas is the most! 160 murders each 100.000 residents!

Frans

posted October 26, 2008 at 1:35 pm

I dont disagree that Johannesburg is the most dangerous city in the world the person who says we(South Africans) dont care where does he/she take that.I believe and i know that many South Africans (Black or Whites) care about Jo burg and South Africa.

Frans

posted October 26, 2008 at 1:36 pm

Frans

posted October 26, 2008 at 1:36 pm

Z Masson

posted October 28, 2008 at 1:51 am

The social and economic divide is the result of the government who utilises the most efficient taxing methods in the world but fails to utilise it effectively.
A democracy drafted and controlled by a corrupt government will never see the poor uplifted into a place of sustainability. If you keep the masses in a place of dependency with a lack of education, you can control them on the mere hope of a promise…”vote for the ANC and we will give you a grant or a house” These promises never materialise and the cycle continues.
I am a local to Joburg and work damn hard for everything I have attained…”deck and all”. If it were not for people like myself who work 66 hour weeks, the ANC would not have the funds to subsidise there opulant lifestyles.
If the government were for the people and crime doesn’t exist as Mr Mbeki will have you believe, then why does he insist on living in the most security conscious of neighbourhoods surrounded by 20 foot walls, electric fencing, and a host of other security aids?
As a local of Joburg I can tell you that crime is a reality. Within one month, I had a gun drawn on me in an attempted hijacking in my own property, a colleague was stabbed to death for a cell phone and a family member was killed in a hijacking. The compassion story is just Bull, as I have offered many supposedly underprivileged people jobs but they just aren’t willing to work for it. We live in our upmarket security villages not because of status but due to basic survival instincts. Due to corruption, the 11 000 additional policemen per annum is
translating into a monumental increase in the solicitation of bribes whilst crime continues as per normal. The argument that corruption is due to the poor salaries that these law enforcers earn is also nonsense as traffic officials take home a similar pay cheque to junior execs in corporations. Poverty doesn’t make you rape babies or an elderly woman in a wheelchair…sorry that doesn’t happen in other poverty stricken areas as in parts of India.
The fish rots from the head down and thus I’m tired of us, the economic engine of the country being the scapegoat for what is none other than legalised, political, gangster activity.
Z.M.

Wodehouse

posted October 29, 2008 at 10:21 am

“The rich live in luxury and look off their decks and the poor who are starving in the valley. And they don’t care. No compassion, no kindness, nothing.”
err, wasnt that a bit of a generalisation?
thanks to everyone setting the record straight about the stats. i lived in johannesburg for 14 years and never had so much as a cent taken off me. there is a divide between rich and poor (like every other city on earth) and there are some very dangerous parts. but it is getting better and many people care desperately about the poverty in johannesburg. i dont think its unreasonable to say that south africa will prove to be a very good footbal world cup host.

Mattias

posted November 9, 2008 at 7:45 pm

Interesting discussions, I guess you cant come to a definite answer of which is the most dangerous city in the world. It depends on how you count. If you focus on murders, shootings, suicide bombers, fatal traffic accidents, smog and pollution injuries, robberies or assaults, certainly different cities will rank highest in each category. Then how do you weight it.
As a matter of curisotity, Sweden for example has only 0.30 murders per day in the whole country so plan your holidays to Stockholm or any reasonable destination instead of Jo’burg or Rio.

zane masson

posted November 10, 2008 at 1:11 am

Another incident transpired last Thursday as my business partner was hijacked in broad daylight in a good neighbourhood. He was taken into a desolated area where the criminals beat him at gun point with their guns, batons, fists and boots. He is lucky to be alive and suffered a burst ear drum, a broken jaw and severe swelling and bruising and damage to his transplanted kidney. The law needs to protect the innocent not such behaviour. This is not a black/white issue as my Business partner is black-it’s a civil rights issue.
Z.M

ari

posted November 30, 2008 at 7:47 pm

hey im from caracas venezuela.. you guys have no idea what this is. Now this is the most dangerous city. We just had a day of continuos raining, therefor lots of traffic, and just in the area where i live, there were 287 robberies that day. I’m 18 years old, and I’m scared of going out with my friends. Now, we only go to friends’ houses cause its the only way.

James

posted December 26, 2008 at 10:11 pm

To be honest, its not that bad, i was born in Johannesburg and grew up there. I will admit, you would be a fool to travel the poor area’s alone, black or white, and even more a fool to travel there without a gun.
Don’t stop for traffic lights if you don’t have too, and don’t trust the police, don’t let anyone touch your passport or identification.
Don’t go near another car, unless you have permission, be wise and think before you do anything and you should be safe enough.
South Africa is a beautiful place, there are many many kind and loving people in Johannesburg as well as all africa.

Thomas

posted January 7, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Well i have to agree with that Joburg is a very dangerous city and still one of the most dangerous in the world. but no longer the most dangerous. I have been to SA for three month as beautiful this country is the crime and violence their is true. but i will return as its a really beautiful place with nice people. of course the 50 a day are for the whole country of South Africa like the 200 a day of Caracass arent true tough this seems to be the murder capitel of the world now. their are also no 3700 murders a day in the US thats in no country. and poisoning is also considered as murder or homicide. tough Joburg isnt longer the most dangerous city in the world you cant just measure a city being most violent by murder. when you look at forums many people make the mistake if to definie most dangerous or most violent city just by its murder rate. even just for most violent you have to consider other violent crimes as well like rape,robbery,assaults etc. murder rate alone doesnt make a city the most violent. tough joburg is more dangerous than most other cities out of war zone and i agree and its proven that caracass is worse now. just the number of robberies a day mentioned by the one guy from their tells that. but for corruption and unreliable statistics South African Crime Statistics arent reliable either and faked. A lot of The Police their is corrupt as well and The Police has the order from the government to keep the statistics as low as possible to do not scare the public. i know this from an insider source. so compared to some South American Countries South African Crime Statistics arent reliable either and kept very low.

Thomas

posted January 8, 2009 at 4:42 pm

well and i also have to agree with Williamc auz thats what i think all the time as well when Americans complain how “horrible” their situation is. Yeap me heart also goes with the people from South Africa,Brazil,Venezuela,Nigeria etc not the people from South L.A. or anywhere of the US. thats what i always tell Americans since i live their that they can be glad that they live under this and not worse circumstances. It are really the people from South Africa,Brazil etc which deserve our heart and pity not Americans. tough i have to agree that South Central,South Bronx etc in the US are very bad places and young kids often die through unneccessary violence but again nothing in this country comes close to the slums of the mentioned countries. It drives me something mad as well as it really seems that many Americans have already pity with themselve when it comes to crime and how “bad” the circumstances are they have to live with like it would be the worst.

Andre

posted January 27, 2009 at 4:28 am

I was born in Joburg, I moved to Italy for 18 months when I was about 2, then to Amsterdam for 6 years, back to Cape Town for 5 years, then Thailand for 5 years, USA (Chicago) 6 months and the last year at Stellenbosch. Ive seen most of the world, and after all my travels being back in South Africa was the best thing that has ever happened to me.
Yes, crime is an issue, but where isn’t it. I lived in Bangkok for 5 years, and I saw someone get shot dead while living there, that hasn’t happened to me in SA. Bangkok is so corrupt that you cant even compare it to SA.
On every level of management in Thailand there is corruption and payoffs, so much so that any company that offers services, (internet, pay tv, etc.) has a minimal chance of success due to piracy and corruption.
I have never been mugged or robbed while living in South Africa, my parents who lived here for more than 35 years only had one of their houses broken into, and thats it. While we lived in Amsterdam we were robbed twice.
In Stellenbosch you can go out alone, and party till 4.30am and walk back home alone without fear of ever being mugged or attacked.
It comes down to avoiding places that feel or seem unsafe. Just try and avoid those places and you should be fine, no matter where you live.
As for Cape Town being more dangerous than Joburg, thats ridiculous.
And a closing thought: “The brave might not live long, but the cautious don’t live at all!”

mallo

posted March 14, 2009 at 10:41 am

Joburg may not be the most dangerous city ever but there is far more than 7murders a day!
how many times have I driven by houses that were just robed, and where the people inside got killed? I do believe the stats are under-estimated!

Duane

posted March 29, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Well I dunno much about statistics either here or any other city for that matter but I’ve been a Joburg boy my whole life. It’s a damn warzone and anyone who says differently is blind, ignorant or just has the means and money with which to hide behind your boomed off, high security suburban middle class fortresses.
I do not know ONE person in my life…literally NOT ONE who hasn’t had AT LEAST one violent encounter.
I myself (just a regular middle class citizen) have been caught in 4 shootouts (one of which was very lucky…guy was a bad shot with an AK47), 2 high speed car chases, robbed at home, been followed twice and mugged…just 3 days ago, 5 minutes after arriving at a scene of a “smash & grab” involving my girlfriend. Was still comforting her when we were jumped by 3 (completely different) men! And these aren’t including the things I’ve only witnessed!!
Like I said, I’m Jozi born n bred and have always been a keen patriot! Positive about South Africa’s chances to improve! That childish sentiment is dead…and so are you…eventually….living in joburg
Peace & love people

joe@hotmail.com

posted June 1, 2009 at 2:15 pm

And this was based on a BBC article that included this:
“Eight months into my stint as a Johannesburg-based correspondent, I have neither suffered nor witnessed a violent crime.”
LOL. WOW its so dangerous HAHA

Brooke Bailey

posted June 10, 2009 at 8:31 am

I”m born and bred right here in johannesburg and guess what, I’m still alive and have only been the victim of two crimes (one being commited by a man from London). Think people really overexaggerate the situation. As long as you don’t go for a stroll through a township waving your phone and money around. Just stay alert.
Jo’burg’s my home and I would never leave it.
And the big walls and electric fences are to keep our pets in, not baddies out. So if you ever get the chance come check it out.

jen

posted July 10, 2009 at 12:34 am

The so called rich run out of sympathy with the violent, ignorant ‘masses’ who sit on their butts demanding free houses, social grants, and handouts.
The ever diminishing number of taxpayers are squeezed tighter and tighter to pay for ANC leaders’ mercs and luxury holidays, working their butts off to keep corrupt leaders living the life they feel they deserve.
The longer I stay in SA, the more my sympathy diminishes.

dali

posted July 13, 2009 at 10:44 am

well Brooke must has some big 5 at home if she thinks thats why the fences are there. I guess it’s one of those bedtime stories. Joburg is bad. so are many places. no where is normal ‘if ONLY 2 attacks happen to people.’ Anyway if you have to, not because it’s your right or because you can, keep firearms in your home, your car, your person etc; THEN YOU LIVE IN A BAD PLACE WITHOUT LAW AND ORDER. As for quotes of figures until somebody can cite the sources all figures are but hearsay.
I have lived in Jo’burg, Cape Town, Durban, Rio, Caracus and other places too. You people argue like it’s a competition.

Georg

posted August 27, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Hey guys… RELAX… I heard on the News today Cape Town is the 5th most dangerous city in the world…
Who cares about all the stats.. your bickering etc… fact is WE DO NOT FEEL SAFE!!!!! the rest does not matter…. PERIOD!!!

roger

posted September 30, 2009 at 8:55 am

Hi people, I’ve been working in Joburg for 2 years now. I do agree that it’s a dangerous city, but you must just know where you can and where you can’t go. Joburg is a huge city, so there are so many “safe” places you can go to while avoiding the bad ones.
When people think of Joburg (or broader South Africa), they normally associate crime with South Africans of african origin. However, for those who may not know, crime is VERY present in suburbs consisting of people from european descent. For example, not being white in an all-white club could mean serious trouble for that person. Personally, I was beaten up last year by three white guys while coming out of a club in Pretoria (the capital of South Africa) because I was chatting to a girl belonging to the same ethnicity as them.
My point being that race related crime is still a reality in South Africa. One must understand that this country has been under apartheid regime for many decades and to my belief is the root cause of the problem in South Africa. Some people still have a mindset that dates back 30-40 years ago.
If South Africans of any ethnicity want this country to be a better and safer country, they must realise that it comes first with adopting the right attitude and respecting each other.
Last point, I do agree that there is blatant unequal distribution of wealth among the population in the whole country, which is the fuel for crime.

Allistair

posted October 1, 2009 at 10:59 pm

I am fascinated how you place the national SA stats next to the city name Johannesburg. Having lived in Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg my worst experiences were Cape 3 house robberies plus being held up at gun point in a shoe store.

Tracey Rodrigues

posted October 13, 2009 at 2:33 pm

I’d just like to say that while I totally agree with Johannesburg being one of the most dangerous cities in the world, I resent the fact that you think the crime rate is because the rich don’t give a damn while people are starving in the metaphorical valley. I am 29 years old and my husband has owned a small business in Johannesburg for the last ten years, in that time we have been held up at gun point three times, on the first occasion my husband was shot(a week after our first daughter was born), our shop has been broken into three times and our stock cleaned out and just a little under a month ago four armed gunmen entered our home, tied up my husband in the garage, took my children and I into my bedroom and took their time choosing which valuables they wanted ad then tied up my eight year old little girl and I before leaving in our vehicle, my children still don’t feel safe in their home and hide everytime they hear a noise! We may be in the higher working class but we have worked our asses off to get to where we are today, helped as many hungry and desperate people that we could, so for you to assume that this is the sheer reason for our crime rate is rather naive, because it has been found that a lot of these thugs have day jobs, granted, they may not earn big money but they earn money nonetheless,even our police force is corrupt with some of them heading these gangs of thieves, reigning terror on citizens who just want to make a living an feel safe in a country that is over run by lawlessness and greed! Perhaps if our government came through on it’s promises of equal oppurtunity for all, crime would be on the decline but but their BEE policy seems to still be lining the fat cats pockets while the people at grass roots level still suffer.

cumaccer@gmail.com

posted October 15, 2009 at 3:26 pm

Hi Mallo, how many times have you driven past houses where someone has just died? Without lying, or embelshing, or exagerating?

Mike

posted November 27, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Obtaining facts from the media such as BBC and other TV stations, newspapers, radio etc and then believing the media, is more irresponsible than finding out the real truth for oneself. The media has a lot to answer for regarding a lot of the worlds situations including the distorted perception of South Africa that most of the worlds population holds. It is unfortunate, however the time has come for complete disregard of all forms of media that does not report facts and is/or biased. The media cannot be trusted and one must find the truth for themselves.

sam

posted January 27, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Tour of Johannesburg South africa suburbs part

Luke

posted April 21, 2013 at 2:20 pm

RSA posts official murder figures of something over 16,000 per year. That equates to less than 50 nationwide. This is 50 too many but it is coming down gradually. Over 20,000 per year was common a few years ago.

That the rich do not care about the poor is harsh. It is certainly a phenomenon that happens, but it is worldwide. And something that seems to be worse among the very very rich. I am aware of a great many whte South Africans who care deply about the poor of their country. A great many have dedicated their lives to helping them.

I spent a year in Caracas. I had some very close shaves. 3 nights on 7 I would hear gunshots as I lay in bed. There were two murders in the square I lived in (cops fighting with soldiers). Everyone I knew had been mugged or hijacked. I was mugged only once. I was caught up in a vicious gunfight in the middle of town. The cops surrounded some thieves and just gunned them down. No questions. My boss had to leave the country after he was carjacked, tied up in a wardrobe and robbed of everything.

I found bogota to be quite civilised by comparison, though someone tried to pickpocket me. Venezuela is a beautiful country with some horrendous problems. Personally I attribute it to the widespread practise of Santeria, a kind of voodoo religion/witchcraft. The place is awash with demonic spirits and needs a revival.

It’s the only reason I can muster for it because so many places have guns, drugs and poverty and yet are nowhere near so bad. God help Caracas.

ross

posted June 2, 2013 at 1:48 pm

ok guys you are all stupid joburg is my birth place and if u compare it to damn mexico or something you will se that joburg is by far not the most dangerous at all.

Chris

posted September 16, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Hi Guys

been in Joburg for 19 years….
best years of my life….
this is an hidden jewel … really…. I feel more secure here than in Paris or New York.. not jocking