Hungry for Ramadan

Hungry for Ramadan

“Hungry for Ramadan” Recap

posted by Shahed Amanullah

shahed_eid.jpgIt feels strange holding a cup of coffee in my hand today, just like it felt strange eating pizza for lunch over the weekend. Everything looks normal, but deep down I know it is not. I have just spent a month refraining from food and drink and trying constantly to keep God in my mind, and I am still in that mindset.
But how long will this last before I fade back into my old routines, where the responsibilities of daily life overwhelm that call from the Divine in the background?
As I’ve shared with you this month, Ramadan has many facets that help to enrich the lives of Muslims — spiritual, social, charitable, and physical. The great struggle post-Ramadan is figuring out how to extend those benefits through until the next Ramadan. There’s no one, universal way to do it. Each person needs to come to their own conclusion as to what works best for them. That is my task for the weeks ahead.
I hope that readers now get a sense of what Ramadan means for Muslims, and I encourage those of other faiths to borrow liberally from our traditions in ways that you feel might strengthen your own faith. I especially recommend looking back into your own fasting traditions — nearly every religion has one — and explore ways you can enrich your life with that. The framework of fasting is, I believe, an effective counterbalance to a modern society that is too often based on self-indulgence.

I want to take this opportunity to thank you for allowing me to share my Ramadan with you, and I also want to thank Beliefnet — especially Dilshad Ali, Michael Kress, and Deborah Caldwell — for providing a venue in which to do so.
I’ll continue writing about the intersection of Islam and America, both here on the pages of Beliefnet as well as on altmuslim.com, so if you want to continue the dialogue we’ve started here, please feel free to join me.

jay

posted October 15, 2007 at 1:49 pm

Thank you! This has been lovely, and I very much appreciate your invitation. Eid Mubarak!

Atsila

posted October 15, 2007 at 3:10 pm

Thanks for this blog, was it fun to read throughout the month of Ramadan.
As always, I was both happy and sad to see Ramadan go and now I am trying to figure out how to get my eating schedule back on track. I am also trying to figure out how to keep from overindulging in food now that all my non-muslim friends want to go out to eat with me, along with how to keep the Quran, that I read again this past month, in my heart throughout the year.
Although the month of Ramadan can be a difficult time, I sometimes see it as this time of peace and quiet-and then I am awakened suddenly and thrown back into the ‘real’ world. Inshallah, we will all keep the lessons of Ramadan with us throughout the coming year.
wassalam,
Atsila

Fulaan

posted October 15, 2007 at 6:33 pm

Excellent series. I enjoyed reading it, shared articles with my friends, and anticipated updates and replies. I look forward to reading more from you.

james

posted October 16, 2007 at 11:43 am

Thanks for the great posts. A lovely accompaniment to this year’s Ramadan.

Abuljude

posted October 16, 2007 at 12:26 pm

Fun reading these posts this month. Next time, I’ll try not to wish an early Eid Mubarak.

aziza

posted October 17, 2007 at 5:07 pm

Shahed Amanullah, thank you for this wonderful series on Ramadan!

Gabistan

posted October 18, 2007 at 12:04 pm

sigh… i feel the Ramadan mindset fading… it truly makes the month seem magical, when you reflect and realize how powerful it was and how that power is almost entirely non-existent a few days later… not that we become heathens, just that feeling is gone!
like you, and i’m sure like many of our fellow Muslims, i am trying to find ways to continue with the Ramadan spirit… the sunnah fasts come to mind, continuing to set aside some time every day for the Qur’an, not forgetting the needy.
looking forward to your Ramadan blog next year!

FAYSAL

posted October 19, 2007 at 1:36 am

I FELT VERY INTRESTING HEARD ABOUT RAMADAN 4M STATES IT REALLY FABULOUS N HOPE IT EFFECTS .

shadene

posted December 16, 2007 at 10:34 pm

first time in your thing and i would like to recommend u for good and hard work ure doing KEEP IT UP!

Kitan

posted June 14, 2014 at 11:02 am

Ramadan 2009 (on Beliefnet)
The Ramadan calendar dates for 2009 are August 21st through September 19th. Are you hungry for more on Ramadan? Here are some useful links for you to learn about this holy month observed by Muslims worldwide: Muslim holy month trivia: Find out how much you really know - test your knowledge with thi

posted 12:22:13pm Aug. 18, 2009 | read full post »

These are the Days of Eid
Why is it that Eid is a three-day affair? Perhaps it is because Muslims (despite their best efforts) end up celebrating it on different days. For those Muslims who follow the lead of Saudi Arabia (as some of the more conservative mosques do), the Eid celebration is today. However, for most Muslim

posted 12:27:01pm Oct. 12, 2007 | read full post »

What a Difference 30 Days Can Make
As the fading crescent moon can attest to, the month of Ramadan is coming to a close. All around the world, readings of the Qur'an that started on the first page 30 days ago are reaching their conclusions. The long nights in the mosque over the last 10 days, in eager search of the Night of Power,

posted 12:10:56pm Oct. 11, 2007 | read full post »

The Sweets of Ramadan
One of the unique pleasures of Ramadan is the tradition of specially prepared Ramadan sweets that originate from a host of different cultures and nationalities across the Muslim world. These Ramadan sweets and pastries help create a festive mood around the iftar table, and the best thing about Ramad

posted 1:17:35pm Oct. 10, 2007 | read full post »

Making Ramadan Festive for Children
Now that Ramadan is slowly drawing to a close, take a few moments to think about the ones not fasting -- the little ones who sneak a date from the iftar table at sunset while everyone is frantically getting ready to eat, the ones who are usually asleep in the morning while the adults wake up to eat

posted 1:51:56pm Oct. 09, 2007 | read full post »