Hungry for Ramadan

Hungry for Ramadan

Ramadan and the Office: Working Through Your Fast

posted by Shahed Amanullah

sleep_desk.jpgDespite the fact that I have been blogging and writing about the Muslim American experience for many years, I am quite private about my religious beliefs in the workplace. (That is, until my boss Googles my somewhat unique name and sees what I’ve been up to!) I suspect many Muslim Americans keep their faith close to their chest as well. While it is easy to downplay religion during most of the year, there is no way the fasting Muslim can hide it during Ramadan. So how do fasting and the office mix?
In my experience at least, they mix fairly well. Of course, it depends on what kind of job you have, but for the average white-collar employee, I’ve found that most people are understanding and accomodating. You might have to miss (or tolerate) a few company luncheons and birthday parties, and engage in water cooler talk without the water, but otherwise it’s not too bad. The biggest inconvenience has been rescheduling or cancelling corporate lunches. (Though in the case of a few Muslim clients, I’ve been able to change them to corporate iftar dinners instead.)

But if you’re not careful, fasting can make it difficult to maintain the quality of work, and you might find yourself running on fumes towards the end of the day–especially if you’re used to powering your day with a healthy dose of caffeine. Here are some tips I’ve used in the past to maintain my productivity:

• Trade in your lunch hour. Since you’re not eating lunch, you can work straight through it–and take the hour off at the end of the day when your attention starts to fade a bit. Or take that lunch hour and use it to snooze (as long as it’s ok with your bosses). This will also help keep your energy up.
  • Keep as busy as possible. I’ve found that keeping as busy as possible is the best way to get through a day at the office while fasting. It especially helps if you can find ways to get out from behind your desk. Take on more work if you have to–you’ll impress your co-workers who thought you’d slack off during the month.
  • Load balance your workday. Reserve the morning hours for meetings, intellectually demanding work, or tasks that require concentration, and save the busywork and routine tasks for later in the day.
  • For those of you who work with fasting Muslim colleages: There’s no need to go out of your way to accomodate your fasting Muslim colleagues. Just do something nice, like treating them to lunch either before or after Ramadan. Or discreetly wake them up if you find them slumped over in their chair. (Because most of us have been up from 4:30 or 5 a.m. and have been going full-steam until 10 or 11 p.m. at night.)
    And don’t bother with that “Lunch is on me today!” line during Ramadan. Trust me–your Muslim colleagues have heard it many times before!

Rashida

posted September 18, 2007 at 4:17 pm

As Salaamu Alaikum and Ramadan Mubarak,
    I’m computer challenged so bare with me.
    I loved all of the articles that I read here on Beliefnet. Where online can I read more of your articles?
    Ma Salaam,
    Rashida

N. Jaffer

posted September 18, 2007 at 4:19 pm

Thanks Shahed, for these timely tips! I could really use the help.
    I also found that if I have a breakfast with protein, for example, eggs, it really helps me through the day with my energy level.
    Thanks again,
    Salaams! Greetings of Peace!

Shahed Amanullah

posted September 18, 2007 at 5:52 pm

Walaikum assalam (on you be peace),
    You can read more of my writings at altmuslim.com.
    Thanks for reminding me about the breakfast tip! I’ll add it to a future post on eating right during Ramadan!

Sethu Narayanan

posted September 19, 2007 at 5:12 am

I am not a muslim but try to respect the requirements during the Ramadan period ( last 2 years and this year too, I am in the Middle East Countries during Ramadan).
    The points indicated are very valid and useful for every one who intends to fast.
    Ramadan Kareem.
    Sethu Narayanan

Najmah

posted September 19, 2007 at 7:04 am

AS SALAAMU ALIAKUM
    Am much pleased to be reading your beliefnet.
    thank you and may the good God SHAUWERS HIS BLESSING UPON YOU ALL.

Nurhayati

posted September 19, 2007 at 10:06 am

AS SALAAMU ALAIKUM,
    I am a masseuse. Taking care of women during their post natal confinement is really challenging during the Ramadhan. To keep me awake during the massage session, I would engage into a conversation with my client about the current local and global news for one and half hours! Cos if i don’t talk, I’m afraid I might fall asleep on her!
    Nevertheless thank you for the tips. Shukran, barakallahu fik.
    Nur
    Malaysia

Anonymous

posted September 19, 2007 at 3:49 pm

IM SO GLADE YOU ARE PROVIDING THIS SERVICE TO MOSLEM PEOPLE
    YOUR DOING GOOD FOR AMERICA AND YOURSELFS THANKS TOO YOU
    PEOPLE HAVE A PLACE TO TURN FOR UNDERSTANDING AND COMPASSION
    IN THE U.S. GOOD LUCK IN AMERICA

Boyd

posted September 20, 2007 at 12:36 pm

This article is a perfect example of how I make it through my day. Because Islam is not as widespread as other religions in America, it’s hard to let others know you’re fasting and why. Because if they are blind (by faith) then it’s wasted energy that I don’t have during Ramadan. The first 3 days were the most challenging. I read the Qu’ran during my lunch hour as well as get about 15 minutes of ZZZs. When I get home, I began preparing dinner for Iftar and then rest and pray before eating. This has been a great 1st time experience for me. I’ve learned and proved that boss and food are not the lord of my world; Allah is.

Ayesha Khan

posted September 21, 2007 at 11:04 am

Salam,
    Excellant article, it reflected a typical day of a Muslim fasting. Currently in Scotland fasting and working at the same time, it has been difficult as I am the only Mulsim fasting in the work place however I am so proud of my identity and hope my ALLAH will be happy. When my colleagues ask me questions and say hope you dont mind us asking my response is always please do ask as much as you want as this will increase your knowledge on a Muslims way of life.
    May ALLAH bless us all in this holy month – Ameen.
    ALLAH HAFIZ

Anita F. Qureshi

posted September 25, 2007 at 2:46 pm

Great job!
    You are right – constant motion is a good way to make the day go by. I often find myself procrastinating far less in Ramadan because of this.
    My biggest problem is not keeping the fast but opening it on time. I am a surgeon and many times the suhoor has occurred while I am in the middle of a case!
    You might find it interesting to poll different occupations and see how they alter their day or their work to accommodate Ramadan.
    Jazakullah khair

Ramadan 2009 (on Beliefnet)
    The Ramadan calendar dates for 2009 are August 21st through September 19th. Are you hungry for more on Ramadan? Here are some useful links for you to learn about this holy month observed by Muslims worldwide: Muslim holy month trivia: Find out how much you really know - test your knowledge with thi

posted 12:22:13pm Aug. 18, 2009 | read full post »

"Hungry for Ramadan" Recap
    It feels strange holding a cup of coffee in my hand today, just like it felt strange eating pizza for lunch over the weekend. Everything looks normal, but deep down I know it is not. I have just spent a month refraining from food and drink and trying constantly to keep God in my mind, and I am sti

posted 11:55:52am Oct. 15, 2007 | read full post »

These are the Days of Eid
    Why is it that Eid is a three-day affair? Perhaps it is because Muslims (despite their best efforts) end up celebrating it on different days. For those Muslims who follow the lead of Saudi Arabia (as some of the more conservative mosques do), the Eid celebration is today. However, for most Muslim

posted 12:27:01pm Oct. 12, 2007 | read full post »

What a Difference 30 Days Can Make
    As the fading crescent moon can attest to, the month of Ramadan is coming to a close. All around the world, readings of the Qur'an that started on the first page 30 days ago are reaching their conclusions. The long nights in the mosque over the last 10 days, in eager search of the Night of Power,

posted 12:10:56pm Oct. 11, 2007 | read full post »

The Sweets of Ramadan
    One of the unique pleasures of Ramadan is the tradition of specially prepared Ramadan sweets that originate from a host of different cultures and nationalities across the Muslim world. These Ramadan sweets and pastries help create a festive mood around the iftar table, and the best thing about Ramad

posted 1:17:35pm Oct. 10, 2007 | read full post »