Hungry for Ramadan

Hungry for Ramadan

It’s True – Not Every Muslim Fasts

posted by Shahed Amanullah

not_fasting.jpgWhile fasting is considered one of the mandatory pillars of Islam, there are several circumstances where it is acceptable for a Muslim not to fast. The ill, pre-pubescent children, and menstruating or nursing women are all automatically exempt, and those who are traveling are given leeway as well (though it can be argued that a 20-mile journey on camelback in the deserts of Arabia isn’t comparable to the standard daily commute). Other than those exceptions, it is generally understood that fasting is required of Muslims during Ramadan.
Therefore, you might assume that every Muslim you come across in your daily life (that is, if you come across Muslims at all) is fasting. However, this isn’t necessarily the case.
It’s not something you’ll hear most Muslims admit freely, but not all Muslims practice their religion the same way – much like adherents of any other faith. Quite often Ramadan is the time you’ll learn you have a Muslim coworker, when he or she politely declines the office lunch that everyone else is gathering in the conference room for. It might also be a time when that same Muslim coworker bites his tongue as the fellow Muslim he knows in the office is chowing down with the rest of them.

For most of my professional life, I have had between two and ten Muslim colleagues at a time, and the awkward reality is that I have always been the only one in the office fasting. Of course, there are many reasons why my Muslim colleagues don’t fast, and it is good to remember that in an age of so much fear about Islam or Muslims, some might be genuinely concerned about the possibility of workplace discrimination. I am certainly not in a place to say or do anything to my Muslim colleages (the Qur’anic admonition that there is “no compulsion in religion” rings in my head), but it does present a delicate challenge.
I go out of my way to make sure that my non-Muslim colleagues do not feel uncomfortable about my fasting. The same goes for my Muslim non-fasting colleagues as well. While they may nervously offer up reasons why they have coffee cup in hand (the most popular excuse: “I have to take my medicine on a full stomach”), at no time did I ask for such a reason. Faith is a deeply personal experience, and there is no value in a compelled act of faith.
I am not fasting to show off or to make a point to people. Ramadan is supposed to instill humility and temper the tendency to be arrogant or judgmental. I am fasting to better myself and please God. In situations like this, I choose to be an example of someone who quietly merges his religious responsibilities with his career in such a way that neither is compromised. If my Muslim colleagues find inspiration in my actions and start fasting themselves, that’s wonderful. If not, I wish them all the blessings of Ramadan anyway, in whatever way they see fit to practice it.

Sadiah Hills

posted September 26, 2007 at 9:55 pm

I am a Singaporean who work and live in Saudi Arabia-Al Khobar. It is so frusting fasting in Saudi! The country literally turn night into day!They sleep till last in the day and stay awake and consume till Fajah! Shops are open from 8pm till 2am! It’s scary to go out during this time and moreover I rather be in bed at that time during Ramadan.
The working hours in the hospital are from 5pm till 3am, for most of the Admin staff, its just silly and not necessary.
In Singapore life goes on as per normal, shops are open during the day and we breakfast eating out and we finish our last prayer and go to bed and wake up normal time to start the day with fasting and going to work!
I will never be able to understand the month of Ramadan here is Sunny Saudi!
Regards
Sadiah Hills

Fulaan

posted September 27, 2007 at 12:52 am

I don’t see how one can ‘show off’ with fasting. Other than there is a situation that presents itself that you’re fasting (declining an invitation to lunch, or explaining that you will decline lunch for the next 30 days)… I thought that was one of the superiorities of fasting, no one readily knows what you are doing (as compared to salah, they can see you do it), it’s between you and Allah.
Riyaa… Audhoo billah min dhalik, Aameen

Shahed Amanullah

posted September 27, 2007 at 10:27 am

I don’t see how one can ‘show off’ with fasting
Well, when you have a situation where one Muslim is fasting and another isn’t, the one who is could rub it in the other’s face. That would be showing off.

Shahina Bashir

posted September 27, 2007 at 11:26 am

I used to be one of the Muslims who didn’t fast. But there was no problem with that since I didn’t have any Muslim co-workers and it was easy to blend in with all the non-Muslims. Alhamdullilah! Now I am a practicing Muslim and fasting comes as naturally to me as making salah. I do have friends and family members who do not fast and that is because they don’t practice Islam either. Then there are some Muslims who would fast but would not make salah or pay attention to the other Islamic practices. I can never understand the logic behind this behavior. Needless to say there is so much joy when a family fasts together. As a mother and a wife I love to get up at Suhoor and prepare a meal for my family just as I love putting together Iftar (meal to break fast).
Shahina Bashir
Maryland, USA

Shahina Bashir

posted September 27, 2007 at 11:38 am

Thanks Sadiah for sharing your comment regarding Ramadan in Saudi Arabia. I heard the same thing from one of my co-workers who used to be in Saudi Arabia. It is quite ironic that the Saudis claim to be the puritans (Wahabbis) yet they themselves don’t follow the Sunnah of the Holy Prophet (SAW). I am sure that during his time, he and his companions did not sleep all day and stay up during the night. Due to the climate, it is understandable when no one can do much during the peak heat of the day and that is the time when people stay indoors and take rest. However, the idea of changing the work and school schedules is not something that is Islamic.
Shahina Bashir
Maryland, USA

Dilara Hafiz

posted September 27, 2007 at 5:34 pm

I love your spiritual approach to fasting – it truly should be a personal endeavor, not done to impress other Muslims! My teenage son attends a Jesuit Catholic high school. During this past week, he’s fasted a few days, but not every day (again, no compulsion in religion – he knows the rules, but it’s his choice). Yesterday, the sole Muslim student who was fasting reproached the other 12 Muslims who weren’t & told them they were all going to Hell (hmmm, I thought only God could judge…) My son actually felt that this microcosm of the Muslim population was a good example to non-Muslims that not all 1.3 billion Muslims behave in exactly the same way, they are not a monolithic, robotic block of humanity! As authors of ‘The American Muslim Teenager’s Handbook’ – my teens surveyed American Muslim teens & the variety of responses to the question “Do you observe the fast of Ramadan?” was not a surprise to me. We’d love to send you a copy of the book – how do we get one to you?? Please visit http://www.theamth.com & drop me a line!

Salamah

posted September 27, 2007 at 8:48 pm

Your blog had me laughing!! I will visit more often Insha Allah! I have never worked around any other muslims so I always wondered if every muslim fasted when certain situations arised. I guess not!

farida mohammed

posted September 28, 2007 at 11:17 am

Salams and ramadan mubarak..my husband who is diabetic keeps all his fast.yesterday he came home and said he met two muslim brothers on work and when the topic of fasting came up both implied they were not fasting because of medication..hmmmm strange ..he is on medication too and both looked just as healthy as he does

Shirley Brown

posted October 2, 2007 at 1:39 pm

I must say that I have also encountered Muslims that do not fast. I am a Christian woman newly married to a Muslim man and I out of respect for my husband and his Religion fast and also make Salah with him. I feel that as a wife, and a friend to him that it is my obligation to respect him in such a way.

noora

posted October 9, 2007 at 12:32 pm

I think that you have a wonderful attitude and it’s great that you don’t want to impose on others, but I think maybe your Muslim colleagues should feel a tad uncomfortable.
Maybe you’ll be a good example to them. I have heard all types of excuses too, but there really are very few people that have a valid excuse for not fasting. I have even seen pregnant & nursing women fast (although I definitely wouldn’t advise it!) and also elderly people who are not sick seem to manage the fast just fine. most medications can be taken during sohoor before the fast.

www.facebook.com/seotop247

posted January 2, 2014 at 1:53 pm

What’s Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this
I’ve found It absolutely helpful and it has aided me out loads.

I am hoping to contribute & help other customers like its aided me.
Great job.

Ramadan 2009 (on Beliefnet)
The Ramadan calendar dates for 2009 are August 21st through September 19th. Are you hungry for more on Ramadan? Here are some useful links for you to learn about this holy month observed by Muslims worldwide: Muslim holy month trivia: Find out how much you really know - test your knowledge with thi

posted 12:22:13pm Aug. 18, 2009 | read full post »

"Hungry for Ramadan" Recap
It feels strange holding a cup of coffee in my hand today, just like it felt strange eating pizza for lunch over the weekend. Everything looks normal, but deep down I know it is not. I have just spent a month refraining from food and drink and trying constantly to keep God in my mind, and I am sti

posted 11:55:52am Oct. 15, 2007 | read full post »

These are the Days of Eid
Why is it that Eid is a three-day affair? Perhaps it is because Muslims (despite their best efforts) end up celebrating it on different days. For those Muslims who follow the lead of Saudi Arabia (as some of the more conservative mosques do), the Eid celebration is today. However, for most Muslim

posted 12:27:01pm Oct. 12, 2007 | read full post »

What a Difference 30 Days Can Make
As the fading crescent moon can attest to, the month of Ramadan is coming to a close. All around the world, readings of the Qur'an that started on the first page 30 days ago are reaching their conclusions. The long nights in the mosque over the last 10 days, in eager search of the Night of Power,

posted 12:10:56pm Oct. 11, 2007 | read full post »

The Sweets of Ramadan
One of the unique pleasures of Ramadan is the tradition of specially prepared Ramadan sweets that originate from a host of different cultures and nationalities across the Muslim world. These Ramadan sweets and pastries help create a festive mood around the iftar table, and the best thing about Ramad

posted 1:17:35pm Oct. 10, 2007 | read full post »