Rabbi Shmuley Unleashed

Rabbi Shmuley Unleashed

An American Marvels at South Africa

posted by tkayden

This week I visited South Africa on a lecture tour to three of its cities. It is not my first trip to South Africa since the end of apartheid. It’s my fifth. Still I never cease to marvel at the miracle of racial harmony that is this remarkable nation. In Cape Town you don’t feel it as much, seeing the white and black populations do not seem to be as integrated. But in Johannesburg and elsewhere it’s an incredible thing to see whites and blacks living and interacting together as if nothing had ever kept them apart.

The problems of post-apartheid South Africa are well-known and revolve principally around violence in its major cities. Homes in Johannesburg have a fortress-like quality to them and you cannot spot one that doesn’t have either barbed wire or, better, and electrified wiring atop a high stone wall. But all the residents agree the crime has subsided dramatically and the South African economy seems to growing a lot better than it is in the United States. While there are still some shanty towns, South Africa strikes one as modern, forward-looking, and upbeat. It is, quite simply, one of the finest places in the world to visit.

There are some obvious similarities between South Africa and Australia – where I visit so often seeing that my wife is from Sydney – which explains why tens of thousands of South African exiles chose to emigrate to Australia more than any other country. But the obvious difference is that for the most part Australia is a homogenous society of whites. True, there are many Asians and a scattering of Aboriginals in the big cities. But what you feel most in Australia – itself one of the most beautiful countries in the world – is a white country flourishing in its own self-contained continent. South Africa could not be more different. It’s a country of blacks with many whites. It has a large and thriving Islamic population and its Jewish community is vibrant, philanthropic, and well-established. It has all the flavor of Africa yet set in a first world economy. It has lessons to share with all the world about racial coexistence. I don’t live here. I am only on a guest. But here are some of the obvious lessons that come to mind the mind of a visitor.

1. South African blacks possess an incredible capacity for forgiveness. True, there is the occasional black demagogue who preaches prejudice and revenge against whites. But they are the tiny exception that proves the overall rule. The black leadership of South Africa is committed to total racial harmony and it’s impressive. And when you compare it to what’s going on next-door with their neighbor, the murderous dictator Robert Mugabe, responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of whites and blacks, you get a good idea of how remarkable the South African black community is. When I visited Zimbabwe last year I saw a country paralyzed with fear. In South Africa I see a country flourishing amid cohesiveness and forgiveness.

2. It all comes down to leadership. Few would argue that Nelson Mandela is the most respected statesman alive. With good reason. The man is that rare human who somehow transcended what life did to him. In a world where so many emerge so utterly twisted by life’s complications – not to mention its tribulations – Mandela is a man utterly uncomplicated. In the simplicity of his convictions he inspired a nation to transcend its troubled history and move into a brighter future. The South African book stores are filled with his new best-seller which focuses on Mandela in his own words. If any American wants to know how the country must have viewed Washington while he was alive during revolutionary times, just come to South Africa. Mandela is a man revered. There is also the incredible fact of his having let go of power after a single term in office as President, an act that reminds this American of Washington surrendering his commission to Congress as soon as the revolutionary war was won.

3. Culture can unite people in ways that few other things can. Wherever you go in South Africa you feel the deep-ingrained African culture. True, it is a modern country and one cannot discount the qualities brought to this part of Africa by Europeans who gave it its modern hew. But none of that erases the deep feel of Africa that surrounds you at every turn. America, whose culture increasingly is that of fast-food, reality TV, and a salacious recording industry has much to learn from how South Africa has held on to an older culture that brings together young and old, black and white, religious and secular.

Rabbi Shmuley Boteach’s newest book is ‘Honoring the Child Spirit: Learning and Inspiration from Our Children.’ Follow his trip to Africa on Twitter @RabbiShmuley.

paul B.

posted April 7, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Why don’t you move there is you love it so much? I love how celebrities spend a few days in a foreign country, seeing a sanitized view and then come back to America and lecture us about how terrible we are and how we should become more like so-and-so. Ever wonder why you are off of TLC and Kate Gosselin is still on? Maybe you should contemplate that.

B. PINA

posted April 28, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Dear Paul B., Open your heart and paid attention to the positive comments. It is true that we American have a lot of wonderful values, but it is always a plus to observed and learned what is good and working about other cultures. Have a bless day!!

Monk21

posted May 2, 2011 at 10:53 am

I wonder if PaulB. has ever been out of his country and seen how wonderful some countries are.
Thanks to Mandela and Bishop TuTu wonderful forgiveness has taken place in South Africa that the south could still learn.

nnmns

posted May 8, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Maybe Shmuley or someone would care to comment on this editing out of Hillary by a Hassidic “newspaper”.

Shades of Saudi Arabia!

Grumpy Old Person

posted May 9, 2011 at 9:50 am

Dear Rabbi,

Please google “corrective rape of gays” and tell us if your esteem for South Africa changes in the least.

Monk21

posted May 10, 2011 at 10:18 am

GOP
Gee, isn’t it wonderful the the good ole USA has no criminals, even though it has the most people per capita of the western world in jail. I think China has more.

Grumpy Old Person

posted May 10, 2011 at 1:42 pm

???

I thought this thread was about South Africa. What has the number of jailed American criminals have to do with the price of bread?

Monk21

posted May 10, 2011 at 8:49 pm

GOP
You say that there are sins in South Africa,. I say look at the sins of the USA. You are no better.

Public Asks for Political Inspiration, but Responds to Negative Attacks
There are two people running against me in the Republican primary for New Jersey’s Ninth district and recently I had an interesting lesson in politics from both. Call me naïve, but I really thought we could have a primary where people respected each other and treated one another as friends. For t

posted 2:12:46pm Apr. 24, 2012 | read full post »

Would Hilary Rosen Have Criticized Stay-at-Home Dads as Never Having Worked?
It's good that Hilary Rosen apologized for her comments that Ann Romney, who chose to be a stay-at-home mom to raise her five boys, had 'never worked a day in her life.' It took a day for Rosen to finally acknowledge that her comments were unhelpful, but she finally said, "I apologize to Ann Romney

posted 4:22:07pm Apr. 13, 2012 | read full post »

An Ungrateful Karzai Calls American Troops Demons
Hamid Karzai recently called the brave and selfless members of the United States military ‘demons’ who were guilty of perhaps ‘500’ atrocities against the people of the Afghanistan. One would have thought that the American Commander-in-Chief would swiftly denounce this stunning act of ingrat

posted 5:21:39pm Mar. 19, 2012 | read full post »

Jews Must Demand Relationship of Equality with Christians
No Holds Barred: It is high time that our warm allies in the Mormon Church cease the posthumous baptizing of any and all Jews. My much-publicized dispute with Canadian TV host Michael Coren last week taught me valuable lessons about the Jewish community and the new relationship with our Christian

posted 4:39:41pm Feb. 28, 2012 | read full post »

The Michael Coren Christians Who Cowardly Deny Church History
I came on to Michael Coren’s TV show in Canada to simply talk about my new book Kosher Jesus, which has received wide attention throughout the world. I left dazed, having heard from him that Jews refuse to appreciate Christians, depict them negatively, and essentially control Hollywood. Now Cor

posted 4:03:50pm Feb. 24, 2012 | read full post »