Project Conversion

Project Conversion

Baha’i: Conclusion

posted by

Here it is, my humble attempt to recap my month with the Baha’i Faith. My words, nor this footage, suffice to describe the experience I’ve had. The lessons I’ve learned, friends I’ve gained, and wisdom I’ve gleaned will last a lifetime. Please join me in this farewell. I hope you enjoy this short clip:

httpvh://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFeg3vmswx4

Allah-u-Abha, and thank you, my Baha’i friends.

Anonymous

posted March 19, 2011 at 11:39 am

Hey there! My mother is full Lumbee, so yes, I’m pretty close. The issue with the Lumbee Tribe is that there is a lot of speculation as to their origins. Our language and history are either lost or shady at best. Much of our customs are agricultural-based and similar to those of White settlers so our culture seems more “Caucasian” than your stereotypical First Nations. That’s the only reason I didn’t use a Native Tribal month is because other than cultural nuances, most Lumbees are Baptist Christians.

Anonymous

posted March 19, 2011 at 11:39 am

pennygreen

posted March 18, 2011 at 10:20 pm

You mention in the video that your ancestors are members of the Lumbee Tribe. I had never heard of this group before. Are these your close ancestors, and did you ever or do you still have personal contact with the Lumbee Tribe?
I am very interested in the religious/spiritual teachings of the First Nations people (I think I mentioned this in a previous comment). Unfortunately, it is difficult to locate reliable sources of information on it due to the destructive impact of European colonization.
While I was researching for a world history assignment, I came across a fascinating article about a particular Iroquois legend (the real story of Hiawatha, not the European version of it) and the influence of this legend on Iroquois society. If you’re interested, the article is by Christopher Vecsey and is entitled “The Story and Structure of the Iroquois Confederacy” and was published in the Journal of the American Academy of Religion 54, no.1 (Spring 1996), pg. 79-106. Other good sources I have come across are “The Gospel of the Redman” by E. T. Seaton, and “The Sacred Tree: Reflections on Native American Spirituality” by The Four Worlds Development Project, a native American inter-tribal group. This is probably more information than you have time for right now, but just thought I would offer it just in case it is useful to you.
If you do have access to elders or know of reliable sources of information on this subject, I would love to hear about it! Loving your project!!

pennygreen

posted March 18, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Anonymous

posted March 7, 2011 at 10:58 am

What a wonderful perspective…thank you.

Anonymous

posted March 7, 2011 at 10:58 am

What a wonderful perspective…thank you.

Patricia Marcott

posted March 7, 2011 at 12:53 am

I, too, went on a journey like yours 35 years ago, starting with the Bible, then the Gospel of Buddha, then the Bhagavad-Gita, then the Koran, and some others along the way over the two year period which I discarded, and the wonderment was that the Voice was the same. I had two questions at the end: Why if You are just One God did you send all of these Prophets, and how do I serve you, an obvious theme throughout the various Scriptures. One week later, I found Baha’u’llah and the New Era in the library and had all these questions instantly answered. And best of all, Baha’u’llah insisted that I believe in all of these “Manifestations” that I thought of as Prophets equally and Their Scriptures as Truth. It is the slow interpretations over a thousand years that appears to distort or even lose the Truth of the Scriptures. It is the only religion I could find that allowed me, and even insisted upon me believing in all and I still read and study Their Writings as well, finding different feelings, mirrors and delights in them. And when I read from the Baha’i perspectives and understandings, I am able to see clearly the intentions of the Manifestations that were misunderstood by interpretation. Therefore, I feel that I have been converted to all of the True Faiths that have existed over the past 6,000 years-Hinduism, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, Babism, and Baha’i Faith. I am required as a Baha’i to make no distinction between any of them. God bless.

Patricia Marcott

posted March 7, 2011 at 12:53 am

Anonymous

posted March 1, 2011 at 2:29 am

You are right. I tried this month to show more of that personal side, and much of it comes through on the end of month video. To be honest though, I can’t possibly fit everything that happens. There’s simply too much, but every month I try and do better. Thank you for commenting on this. I promise to push myself even more to bring you this material.

Anonymous

posted March 1, 2011 at 2:29 am

Erin_kestrel

posted March 1, 2011 at 12:42 am

I just came across this site today. Looks like an interesting project! I think you already made an observation about this in a previous post, but I would like to agree…..I would like to see more writing about your personal subjective experiences and opinions. All of the information about the religions is good, but I can go on Wikipedia for that. I’m looking forward to following you on your journey…..and very curious as to what your final conclusions will be at the end of the year!

Erin_kestrel

posted March 1, 2011 at 12:42 am

Michael Solender

posted February 28, 2011 at 11:13 am

I like what you say about not forgetting what you’ve learned but building upon it..good insight and nice transition..on to the next..Godspeed sab

Michael Solender

posted February 28, 2011 at 11:13 am

Anonymous

posted February 28, 2011 at 11:03 am

Thank you!

Anonymous

posted February 28, 2011 at 11:03 am

Thank you!

Anonymous

posted February 28, 2011 at 11:02 am

Very true. Indeed every faith can provide a lifetime of learning and exploration.

Anonymous

posted February 28, 2011 at 11:02 am

Nina6k

posted February 28, 2011 at 4:05 am

Safe travels on your journey. You are not walking away. There are many in support behind you.

Nina6k

posted February 28, 2011 at 4:05 am

Kay

posted February 27, 2011 at 11:35 pm

I enjoyed learning about the Baha’i. What a gentle and open faith it appears to be. The difficulty of shifting from one faith into another is probably why we choose just one to practice or glean from many and come up with a personal faith. However, a solitary faith would lack that all important aspect of community.

Kay