Progressive Revival

Progressive Revival

Catholic Hardball 2: DC Responds

posted by Diana Butler Bass
Updates on yesterday’s blog about the fight between the Roman Catholic Archdiocese and the DC City Council:

According to the Washington Post, the DC city council has responded to the Catholic Archdiocese by “digging in its heels” on gay marriage.  The Council tried to reach a compromise but now doubts that it is possible.

Local DC columnist, Petula Dvorak, a Roman Catholic calls her church to account and says that the Catholic Church has left her–and countless other DC Catholics–”heartbroken.”
The Right Rev. John Chane, the Episcopal Bishop of Washington, pretty much says that his church will help pick up the slack if the Catholic Church walks away (seems like a return volley in the ongoing Vatican-Anglican argument, too).
Whatever happens in this case could, according to several news sources, set a national precedent for other states that adopt same-sex marriage as they try to work out accommodations with religious organizations.

Mere_Christian

posted November 13, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Stand for thr faith my Catholic brothers and sisters.
You are doing what is right.

David Justin Lynch

posted November 14, 2009 at 5:34 am

Episcopalians to the rescue again where Rome screws up. Yesterday I had a girl in my office in tears because a Roman priest would not marry her and her boyfriend because they lived together. Guess where I sent her. To the Cathedral in San Diego to see Mother Thomas.

Rachel

posted November 14, 2009 at 10:11 am

the Catholic church is doing exactly what Jesus would NOT do! it’s a very sad day when a religious institution will punish the poor & needy in reaction to a social/equality movement
instances like this make reinforce my decision to leave the catholic church. Jesus was a radical who promoted equality & compassion for all human beings (He chose to hang out with the women & men whom the church deemed social outcasts) and don’t forget he despised the authoritarian culture of the politicized church.

James Gilmore

posted November 14, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Stand for thr faith my Catholic brothers and sisters.
If “the faith” involves ditching the poor of a city because it doesn’t encode the Catholics’ narrow social doctrine into law, I’d question whether that “faith” was in any way definable as Christian.
Can you picture Jesus Christ telling the sick “I’m sorry, I would heal you, but I can’t because I disagree with your city’s rules”? I sure can’t. The Roman Catholic Diocese should be ashamed of themselves. I pray that the Holy Spirit brings them to repentance and they rescind their threat.

James Gilmore

posted November 14, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Oh, and praise God for Diocesan Bishop John, who unlike the Roman Catholic Diocese seems to truly know what following Christ is all about. Again, the Episcopals are embarrassing the Roman Catholic Diocese by demonstrating that love will triumph over hate and acceptance over bigotry. I pray the authorities in the Roman Catholic Diocese feel this shame deeply in their hearts, repent of their sinful ways, and stop holding the poor hostage in their misguided demand that we shape our laws around their narrow doctrines.

Your Name

posted November 16, 2009 at 12:34 pm

All of this reminds me of the infamous National Lampoon ad that showed a dog with a gun to his head with the caption, “If you don’t buy this magazine, we’ll shoot this dog.”

A108

posted November 16, 2009 at 2:06 pm

I find it troubling that the Catholic church has no problem with providing partner benefits for those employees who have divorced their first spouses and remarried without annulment, yet objects to two men or two women who love each other and commit to each other being able to provide for each other.
You can’t take both positions.

Jay H.

posted November 26, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Unfortunately, this is the product of the same attempt to involve the laity that produced the early generation of progressive involvement in the latter ’60s through the ’80s, except now the more aggressive part of the laity is the right, and the same people who complained about politicization of bishops during those decades now demand politicization in the form of enacting right-wing policies, in a typically right-wing fashion, from the bishops. Just as bishops were responding more from pressures from their immediate surroundings then, so they are now — in the guise of providing ‘leadership’. But this is the reverse of what protestants imagine it to be, because they don’t recognize the degree to which the Catholic episcopate following Vatican II, told to be more open & consultative, turned first to professional experts in social work, psychology & law, and then to pressure groups, to determine their decisions, and the problems of insularity that consultation was intended to remedy instead produced pure defensiveness at first and now, pure unthinking reaction.

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Progressive Revival. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Faith, Media and Culture Prayer, Plain and Simple Happy Blogging!!!

posted 2:50:10pm Aug. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Why Jews Around the World are Praying for the Victory of the Egyptian Uprising
Originally appeared on Tikkun Daily BlogEver since the victory over the dictator of Tunisia and the subsequent uprising in Egypt, my email has been flooded with messages from Jews around the world hoping and praying for the victory of the Egyptian people over their cruel Mubarak regime.&nb

posted 1:48:39pm Feb. 01, 2011 | read full post »

When Generosity, Love, and Kindness are Public Policy, the Violence We Saw in Arizona will Dramatically Diminish
The attempted assassination of Congresswoman Giffords and the murder of so many others in Arizona has elicited a number of policy suggestions, from gun control to private protection for elected officials, to banning incitement to violence on websites either directly or more subtly (e.g., Sarah Palin

posted 2:44:04pm Jan. 19, 2011 | read full post »

The Spiritual Messages of Chanukah and Christmas -- and Their Downsides
Christmas and Chanukah share a spiritual message: that it is possible to bring light and hope in a world of darkness, oppression and despair. But whereas Christmas focuses on the birth of a single individual whose life and mission was itself supposed to bring liberation, Chanukah is about a national

posted 12:59:53pm Dec. 02, 2010 | read full post »

Obama (and Biden) Have No Clue About What's Bothering Their Political Base
Shortly before the California Democratic primary in 2008, the San Fransisco Chronicle invited me to write a short article explaining why I, chair of the interfaithNetwork of Spiritual Progressives, was supporting Barack Obama. Like most other progressive activists, I understood that a pres

posted 1:44:11pm Sep. 30, 2010 | read full post »