This is what it took to forget about swine flu – Arlen Specter joining the Democrats. I have a complete transcript of his official statement over at City of Brass. All the speculation about the political consequences and shakeup is just ramping up, but my main interest is in how the fury from the Republican side will probably accelerate the party’s implosion from a grand old “big tent” under Reagan to a regional rump party dominated by social conservatives and religious intolerance, especially towards their one-size fits-all bogeymen of the muslim threat.
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog
About Progressive RevivalDiana Butler Bass and Paul Raushenbush both stand firmly within the Mainline Protestant tradition and, along with guest bloggers of all religious backgrounds are dedicated to the revival of religious progressivism and its influence in American politics.
ContributorsDiana Butler Bass
Diana Butler Bass is a commentator and scholar in American religion. She is the author of seven books including A People's History of Christianity: The Other Side of the Story (HarperOne, 2009).
» Posts by Diana Butler Bass
- More blogs to enjoy!!!
- Why Jews Around the World are Praying for the Victory of the Egyptian Uprising
- When Generosity, Love, and Kindness are Public Policy, the Violence We Saw in Arizona will Dramatically Diminish
- The Spiritual Messages of Chanukah and Christmas — and Their Downsides
- Obama (and Biden) Have No Clue About What’s Bothering Their Political Base
- Values or Partisanship? TV Ad calls out Graham for caving on climate
- American Liberals and Progressive Never Miss an Opportunity to Miss an Opportunity — or Are We ready to Change Directions
- After Attack on Rabbi Lerner’s Home: What you Can do to Help?
- FOX NEWS Funds Research to Discredit Progressive Pastors
- The On-Going Call for Justice in Vieques