Progressive Revival

Progressive Revival

Time For Christians To Wage War on “The War Against Christmas” Whine

posted by Ed Kilgore

One of the the most depressing aspects of the Advent season is the perennial reappearance of the “War Against Christmas” argument in some conservative political and religious circles.  This story-line, most visibly associated with Fox News’ Bill O’Reilly, is based on the idea that Christians are being mortally offended, and perhaps even threatened in their religious liberties, by department-store decisions to peddle their wares under the slogan of “Happy Holidays” rather than “Merry Christmas.”  The “War Against Christmas” theory also feeds on the usual tedious and marginal fights over publicly-authorized Nativity scenes and equal access to other seasonal religious or even anti-religious messages.

I think it’s time for Christians to reclaim Christmas by declaring war on the whole “War on Christmas” whine, and on the planted axiom that Jesus Christ needs to be proclaimed on department store facades and municipal squares.  More generally, Christians should be offended by the idea that commercial or government neutrality towards religious expression represents some sort of persecution–a grievous insult to the sacrifices of true Christian martyrs, past, present and future.

I admit this is a subject on which I have a hard time being any more calm and rational than O’Reilly himself.

Are contemporary American Christians really so weak and defensive that they identify the terrible outrage of being exposed to pan-religious or secular expressions of the holiday season with the experience of the many millions of Christians who have suffered active discrimination, state-sanctioned repression of their private religious practices, and injury, torture and death, for confessing Christ?

Have we forgotten the terrible price Christians have paid, in terms of the secular blandishments of power, and the inducement to slaughter each other as well as “infidels,” by confusion of the Kingdom of God with kingdoms–political and commercial–of this world?

And as an American Protestant, I have to ask: have we forgotten that our own heritage used to acknowledge a sharp separation between church and state, and between secular and religious worlds, as essential to our own liberty and growth?

Ironically enough, on the particular issue of Christmas, the Scots-Irish and Calvinist forebears of many U.S. evangelical Protestants waged the most systematic “War on Christmas” on record, as nicely summarized recently by Bruce Wilson.

While I obviously don’t endorse any official ban on Christmas, the inclination of some magisterial Reformers to fear Christmas as a ”Holy Day” that has little to do with Jesus Christ is instructive. The best way to remind people of the “reason for the season” is to disassociate the Feast of the Incarnation from Santa Claus, the Yule Log, and other pre- and post-Christian observances that have been merged with it over the centuries. And the place for that is in homes, churches, individual souls, public and private acts of Christian charity, and observances of the real sacrifices of real Christian martrys.  Demanding this association in the commercial and political realms devalues the Christian content of “Christmas” decisively.

That’s why I think Christians, regardless of our various views on other issues, should unite to denounce and fight the “War on Christmas” campaign.  At best, it’s a testament to our weakness and cowardice.  At worst, it’s an identification of the Gospel with all the dark places where the Gospel casts light.

Jeff

posted December 10, 2008 at 3:33 pm

Amen brother. Nothing makes me madder than this ridiculous idea that Christians are soooo persecuted. it is like white people whining about race. For me, if know someone is Christian I say Merry Christmas, if I know they are jewish I say happy Hanukkah, if I am not sure or if they are obviously other I say happy holiday. No big deal.

Asinus Gravis

posted December 10, 2008 at 3:37 pm

If one wants to defend Christmas as a Christian undertaking from what is called a “war on Christmas” one has to go about it radically differently than the Right has done.
The major offender is the over the top commercialization of the holiday. Take preemptive action. Stop shopping! Refuse to shop for anything for Christmas–for anyone, for everyone!
The next move is to try to remember what the celebration is allegedly about–perhaps a recognition of the importance of the birth of Jesus of Nazareth. Then to focus on actually celebrating that.

Kelly

posted December 10, 2008 at 5:24 pm

Does anyone really believe that Christmas has ever had anything to do with Jesus? Its a pagan holiday that was forced by the church to incorporate Christian beliefs when the Church invaded and took over Europe. Come on people… think for yourselves! All the imagery, folklore and symbolism is all pagan!

Black Knight

posted December 10, 2008 at 8:22 pm

I agree with a previous poster. It’s time for us Pagans to take back Yule from the xian thieves. :)

Gwyddion9

posted December 10, 2008 at 9:33 pm

While I am Wiccan, one of the Pagan religions, I have no desire to “take back Christmas” from the Christians. What is now Christmas is Christian, at the core of its beliefs. Did Christians incorporated Pagan themes and symbols in their celebration…yes, we all know that but what happened a thousand years or more ago, is simply that, the past.
Paganism is making a come back on its own merits and doesn’t have to defend or justify its existence to anyone, Christian or otherwise.
Those of us who are under the Pagan umbrella know that we can take the old symbols and themes and celebrate them, as we believe the ancients celebrated the holidays. In an honest discussion, it must be acknowledged that, as Pagans, we can’t be 100 % sure on how the ancients celebrated either. There is very little recorded information, which is unbiased, regarding how things were done. This is why we Pagans take what we can find written, make some assumptions on the matter from facts that can be garnered, and give it a modern understanding.
I think the whole “war on Christmas” is purely a RR concoction to create division, create sympathy in the RR circles and try, again, to use the persecution card, which, imo, is baseless. One can chose to see light or one can chose to see darkness and persecution. It’s rather apparent where the RR’s line of sight is focused.
If the RR chooses to celebrate the “Tis’ the season to be whinny”, that’s their business.
Myself, I’ll enjoy the season for what it is to me, the rebirth of the God from the Goddess and the return of light!
There are many religious and secular holidays in the month of December, which is why I wish people Happy Holidays.
Ron

posted December 10, 2008 at 10:12 pm

Thank You, to Gwyddion9, Don, for this system to continue on the RR must have antagonists and protagonists for it to validated. Be the better Pagan and walk away, burning at the stake and general murder for not being of a perticular faith is not en vouge today.
Just remember, when a failing system realizes its dieing it will lash out in any way possible, so watch you six.
Aeon Oraci

ME

posted December 10, 2008 at 11:54 pm

As a Witch, and yes, my religion is Witchcraft (not Wicca – another valid religion). I find it interesting that most of the RR scream that christianity is under attack because stores are saying “Happy Holidays” or some other such phrases. A few things, Christmas is not now, nor has it ever been christian. It is Pagan, 100%. If one looks at the bible, it is very, very clear that jesus was NOT born anytime near December. Is it wrong if christians want to christianize a Pagan holiday and celebrate it? Well, in one respect the answer is no, there is nothing wrong with it (though their bible CLEARLY says otherwise). However, christians need to realize that the holiday is Pagan in origin — always has been, always will be. However, if you wish to have manger scenes on PRIVATE property, if you want to say Merry Christmas, if you want to believe that this is the celebration of christ’s birth (though biblically his death was the important thing), and if you want to incorporate all of the things from your religious beliefs into it, then I support you. However, realize that the holiday is Pagan, not everyone in this country is christian, and your religion is not under attack. As for the whole “Happy Holidays”, if you are christian, say, “Merry Christmas”. I say, “Happy Yuletide” to everyone because I celebrate Yule. If someone says to me, “Happy Holidays”, “Merry Chaunaka”, “Merry Christmas”, or “Happy X-Mas”, I do not go screaming and crying that my religion is under attack. I am not that weak in my beliefs. I do however realize that NOT everyone shares the same beliefs as I do. If anything, we Pagans should be upset that the Holy Day was stolen from us. However, we are not that weak in our beliefs.
Comments: xthetruth1@aol.com

Brian Griffith

posted December 11, 2008 at 6:52 am

Thanks. This reminds me of time I spent in India. In my village we had Muslims, Hindus and Christians, and everybody tended to celebrate each others’ festivals. For example, during the Shia Muslim celebration of Ashura, people of all these religions danced all night. At Christmas lots of people put up “Stars of David”. Everybody had a good time. Nobody was b*tching.

Bunny

posted December 11, 2008 at 7:12 am

Thank you for a well-written and intelligent article.
As a Pagan, I have my own beliefs regarding this season, but in no way do I believe I should have a monopoly on it. In December almost every religion has some festival or religious day to mark the season. In theory, there would be nothing wrong with EVERY faith expressing themselves publicly – the problem is that fundamentalists from all religions (atheists included!) refuse to see this as a fair compromise, and instead see the indication of ANY different belief as a direct attack on themselves. I am quite sure that, if religious symbolism were permitted in public, anything erected and bedecked with the symbols of my faith would be attacked and rallied against as an attack of “Christmas” just the same. The solution, of course, is as it has been; to prevent the erecting of any directly religious images. But this, too, is then seen as an attack of a different nature.
There is no “war on Christmas”; therefore this utter inability and resistance to any sort of compromise really does just makes the people rallying against it seem… well, like whiny, spoiled teenagers with an inflated sense of entitlement.
Instead of fighting and arguing about whose symbols should be allowed visible, and whether there is enough of a particular religion going on, we all just get down to the POINT of the season and celebrate it, in whatever way is right for us.
I wish you all a Merry Christmas, a Happy Yule, A Great Kwanzaa, a Happy Hannukah, a Delightful Winter Solstice and generally, season’s greetings to all.

D. Thomas

posted December 11, 2008 at 8:40 am

Obviously Bill O’Reilly and John Gibson don’t speak for Christians and the vast majority of Christians don’t believe when they say about the “war” on Christmas. They just dust off this idea every year to sell some books, get some ratings and upset a few people.

The L

posted December 11, 2008 at 11:20 am

The funniest thing about the whole “war on Christmas” argument is that “Happy Holidays” includes “Merry Christmas,” because Christmas IS a holiday. It’s just not the only holiday celebrated in December. There’s New Year’s Day, just one week after Christmas. There are Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and a host of Pagan religious festivals. Some people have birthdays in late December. Saying “Happy Holidays” indicates that you want people to enjoy all the special days they celebrate in December, not just December 25th.
Because of the First Amendment, America is officially a secular nation. All religions, including Christianity, are allowed to practice their religion, so it’s only fair that “Happy Holidays” be used in public buildings. We are all free to put “Merry Christmas” signs and Nativity scenes in our own homes and yards, but to insist on removing “Happy Holidays” in favor of “Merry Christmas” is a selfish denial of the religious diversity that exists in America today, and a mockery of people of all faiths who have actually been persecuted for their religious beliefs.

Ravenlight

posted December 11, 2008 at 12:03 pm

As a pagan, I agree! Take back your holiday, let us have ours, let *everyone* have their *own* winter holiday.
Separate the religious and spiritual from that which is not just secular but outright *anti* spiritual.
I don’t know how you guys *stand* having your religious holiday co-opted and turned into a celebration of the almighty dollar.
Well, yes I do. I feel the same way about ‘Halloween’.

Caleb

posted December 11, 2008 at 12:22 pm

This is a disingenuous trivialization. The favorite refuge of war on Christmas apologists is the straw man pretense that the debate centers on department stores and how they greet people. Washington State has a sign before the nativity which states that religion hardens hearts and enslaves minds, posted by a group called Freedom FROM Religion, the founders of which admit their goal of scrubbing christianity from public view. How dare you gloss over that to score points on Bill O’Reilly’s television show? The freedom to practice and speak about our religions in this nation is not trivial, and it has nothing to do with Wal-Mart greeters. Shame on you for your Judas treatment here.

James Gilmore

posted December 11, 2008 at 12:37 pm

How is that any different from a nativity scene placed by people whose goal is to make America a “Christian” nation? Read up on your Christian Right sometime, paying special attention to the pseudohistoric revisionist hackery of David Barton. If we’re going to allow people to use public resources to say God exists, we have to allow them those who don’t believe in God to use public resources to speak their opinions as well.
Who’s suggesting you not be free to practice and speak about your religion? Please show me any group that suggests that you should not be able to express your religion in whatever way you want as a private citizen. What groups like the Freedom From Religion Foundation are saying is that you should not be able to use resources paid for by all taxpayers – who are of all religious stripes – to put forth your religious beliefs to the exclusion of all others.
I’m of the opinion that there should be either no religious expression using public resources, or all religions expressed using public resources. What isn’t acceptable to me is the idea that public resources should be used to express Christianity and no other religions or irreligions.

posted December 11, 2008 at 4:10 pm

Caleb:
I’m probably wasting my time responding to someone who addresses me as “Judas,” but your suggestion that I’m creating a “straw man” is just bizarre. I’ve never encouraged O’Reilly with his huge viewership to bring up this crap every single year. I didn’t invent the American Family Association’s boycott of Costco. The whole point of my post was to encourage Christians to mock and shame the “War on Christmas” campaign out of existence. If you think it’s stupid as well, you should applaud me.
As to your argument about the “real” issue, I honestly don’t understand why anyone thinks that state-supported religious expression is necessary to avoid “scrubbing Christianity from public view.” And I continue to believe that all the atheists in the world put together represent nothing remotely as dangerous to the future of Christianity as this desire for secular sanction, this submission of faith to the conservative political agenda, and most of all, this constant suggestion that our faith is so fragile and the gospel is so unpersuasive that criticism and competition look like persecution to us.
Ed Kilgore

pat

posted December 11, 2008 at 9:27 pm

i agree with the writer of this article some take this war on christmas too far. when one town in the south decided that they would let everyone (each religion) put up thier own display. the local xtians (on purpose) decided they didnt like the one the pagans put up so someone ran it over with thier truck (on the city hall lawn). so if they are so for the keeping the faith in the holidays why do they destroy others displays? because they believe that if you dont believe as they do you are evil or something. i dont blame the individual as much as those teaching them in thier faith. someone had to tell that person at some time in thier life that they should do this.
in short its not taking christ out of christmas you should be worring about its the constant taking the christ out of christian you need to be careful of.
“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”
Mohandas Gandhi

Caleb

posted December 12, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Kilgore your cognitive dissonance is impressive. You reply that you don’t force O’Reilly to talk about store greeters. How lovely, neither do I. What a useful bit of dialogue. The point you clearly missed is that you continuing to act as if he is the crux of the matter is intellectual dishonesty or willful ignorance on your part. I’m guess a mixture.
This nonsense about “fragility” is equally inane. You don’t allow one group to mount a coordinated effort to rid the world of the other on the grounds that the object group is really very tough and strong, and oughtn’t they act like it? That’s fatuous, blathering nonsense. You continue to suggest all these things the argument is, and none of them are it. It’s not seasons greetings and it’s certainly not an argument that the gospel is unpersuasive. You can’t even bring yourself to admit the atheist sign in Washington exists, much less discuss the situation on its own merits. Your every response is “say happy holidays if you like” or “quit saying the gospel is weak.” That’s a willful diversion from the actual, genuine conflicts, some involving legal action. Your motives are unclear but your method is leftwing 101.
Your article is pandering at best, begging for scraps of approval from the secular culture by denouncing the idea of attacks on Christmas when you’ve clearly lifted not a finger to investigate outside of some HuffPo blog pointing the finger at O’Reilly’s store greeting rants. That’s some good work.

posted December 12, 2008 at 10:07 pm

Our federal, state and local governments are servants of We the People. Liberty is self government. Governments speak. Self government means that ourselves determine what our government says rather than a federal judge imposing his speech via governments.
The freedom of religion and prohibitions of establishments of same by government have very specific and narrow meanings. Seeing and hearing religious imagery or hearing religious speech either by government officials or on government property violates no right.
Federal judges have violated communities’ rights to have their values affirmed in schools. God’s name is treated as profanity.
Christmas is a federal holiday. Want to repeal that law?

James Gilmore

posted December 12, 2008 at 10:52 pm

You’re right. We ourselves – or, more accurately, our ancestors 220 years ago – determined how our government would be constituted. Our ancestors put in place a Bill of Rights and the Fourteenth Amendment, guaranteeing certain rights to the people, including the right to freely exercise our religion and the right to live in a state in which no religion is given a privileged position. Our ancestors also put in place a judicial branch, which would reconcile other laws with these rights. No federal judge is imposing his (or her) speech on others; he or she is simply holding us to the standards of law set by our very own Constitution, which states that we all have the right to freely exercise our religion using our own resources, and we all have the right to live in a state that does not exercise preferential treatment toward one religion. If you want Christianity to be given a privileged place in the public square, you’d best get to work trying to convince your neighbors that a Constitutional Amendment to that effect should be passed; anything less than that is in violation of the Constitution.
Please document this with references to respectable scholarship. (That means actual scholarship, not the pseudoscholarly hackery by David Barton or John Whitehead.) It seems to me that “Government can’t establish any religion” and “Government must allow everyone to practice his/her religion” is pretty expansive to me. (I know the First Amendment says “Congress,” but I side with the Courts in holding that the Fourteenth Amendment extends those protections to states and localities.)
The freedom of religion and prohibitions of establishments of same by government have very specific and narrow meanings. Seeing and hearing religious imagery or hearing religious speech [...] on government property violates no right.
Sure, as long as all religions are treated equally. If one religion is going to get access to public property, all religions get access to public property. It’s that simple. If the Christians want their nativity scene on the public square, the atheists, the Jews, the Muslims, and the FSM followers get their displays as well. However, the “Christian” Right insists that Christianity should have a privileged place. They think we should have a nativity scene, but the atheists should be barred from saying there is no God. That is absolutely not right.
Find me that right in any legal document, please. Also, please reconcile the “communities’ rights to have their values recognized in schools” with the reality that communities are never monolithic or homogeneous entities, and tend to contain a multiplicity of religious, ethnic, and personal identities. Who exactly gets to determine what the “community’s values” are? How do you propose the rights of minorities be legally and socially protected?
God’s name is treated as profanity.
By whom, exactly?
Christmas is a federal holiday. Want to repeal that law?
I honestly don’t care. I’m taking the day off regardless.

James Gilmore

posted December 12, 2008 at 11:07 pm

No, I think the point he’s making is that the “War on Christmas” is completely fictional. It’s made up by charlatans like Bill O’Reilly or the AFA/FOTF Christian Right crowd in order to get ratings and make money by starting another fake controversy.
What is evangelical Christianity but an attempt to rid the world of non-evangelical Christians (by proselytization and conversion)? How is it justifiable in your mind for evangelical Christians to engage in an attempt to convert the world to their cause, but it’s not permissible for atheists and agnostics to make the same attempt?
Fine. Let’s discuss it on its own merits. Please explain to me exactly why Christians should be allowed to put their display on public land, but no other religious group should be allowed the same privilege. In other words, please justify the privileging of Christianity in a public square owned by the people of the state of Washington, who are of many religious backgrounds. Make sure your argument is consistent with both the letter and spirit of American law.
Okay, Mr. Educated, please tell us about these “attacks.” Make sure the sources you cite are credible – which means no WorldNutDaily, no lifenews.com, no Bill O’Reilly (actually, might as well just toss Fox News altogether), no Christian Right sources.
Guess what? The secular culture is right on this one, both legally and morally. There is absolutely no justification for the privileging of Christianity in the public square. In a nation of many religious faiths, there is no justification for the privileging of Christianity by any business or institution serving the public. All the charlatanism and demagoguery of the right-wing bloviators aside, there is, quite simply, no war on Christmas – at least, not one the pea-sized brains of their on-air “personalities” could understand.
Want to know what the real “War on Christmas” is? It’s evangelical churches accepting uncritically the gospel of consumerism, greed, and conspicuous consumption during a season that purportedly celebrates the King of the Universe being born in the most humble conditions we can envision. Absolutely nothing in our culture hurts Christmas more than the charlatans of evangelicalism, who tell their flocks that all they need to do is “accept Jesus” and they don’t need to consider how their consumption patterns, their wastefulness, and their greed affects the people around them – both those who suffer for their consumption (like the people in the sweatshops who make the stuff Americans buy) or those who suffer because of it (those who are starving and suffering when we, the richest country in the world, could with very minimal sacrifice feed them and ease their suffering). That’s the war on Christmas.

posted December 13, 2008 at 6:32 pm

I have always wondered why it is that Christians claim to believe in the words spoken by thier God, and his son, but cannot for the life of them put them into practice. What happened to “Love thy neighbor”?
It doesn’t matter if you practice Christianity, Judaism, or Paganism, this time of year is all about love, peace and joy to all the world. Is it so hard to just accept that? Why must there be a fight over how that sentiment is expressed? Christians are not the only people around who are celebrating this season, yet the evangelistic ones would love to force everyone to believe that to be the case. I even had one person tell me no one other than Christians had ANY right to celebrate this time of year. It shouldn’t matter who or what a person worships. We all have the right to do so as we see fit. And we all have the right to express it as we see fit.I personally don’t care if someone says Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, Merry Yule, or Happy KwanzaChristmaHanukaYule. What SHOULD matter is that we ALL need to treat one another with love and respect. You know it’s bad when Pagans act more Christian than Christians do.

posted December 13, 2008 at 7:26 pm

I honestly don’t understand why people are so offended by the term “Happy Holidays.” Is Christmas not a holiday? It’s just a different way to say the same thing. It shouldn’t bother Christians that people want to acknowledge Hanukkah, Yule, or Kwanzaa? It in no way demeans their own holiday.

mike w.

posted December 14, 2008 at 3:39 am

I agree wih the author of this article–the people who demean Christianity are people like Bill O’Reilly who like to stir up trouble to make a name for themselves–and they don’t promote the true meaning of Christianity by doing this. If you believe in your faith then none of this should bother you! If you are following Jesus’s teachings then how does this harm you? The answer is that it doesn’t because you are busy following what Jesus wants for us–as he proclaimed in his two commandments in Mathew: (1) we are to obey and love the Lord and (2) we are to love our fellow man! That should be enough to occupy anybody!

Samantha

posted December 14, 2008 at 4:00 am

Christmas is what you make it and what your belief systems are.If you allow signage to effect you then you are allowing worldly ways to ovetake your own faith.Dont we have enough war and chaos ?
God Bless and happy holidays :)

Lance

posted December 14, 2008 at 8:29 am

I agree with the fact that we should not be bothered by others who ride on the coat tails of a holiday that is christian born. If this holiday so offends them then they should not take work off and not take a school holiday or break, they should not gather with their loved ones and should not buy gifts for each other they should not acknowledge that the season even exist. And on the other hand Christians should not purchase or supply hard earned monies in stores that reflect that there is no Christmas and as a whole Christians should not mingle or give to no ungodly charities and not help anyone but other Christians. We should only take care of our own and not help third world countries that decapitate us, and we should not support a government including our own if they have a problem with Christ.
What I don’t understand is that even tho Christmas has been in America from the beginning of our great country founded on the pursuit of religious freedom and we have given the others that right here and now we give them the right to bash and I foresee in the future outlaw Christianity all together.
The hate that I see in all of this is the hatred for Christ.
They want us to acknowledge Buddha,Mohammad,the holiday beagle and what ever else any nut job want to be given acknowledgment.
So in the years to come we can expect Child molesters day, Rapist week and the good old murderers day on the green concert. So yes we should fight back and give them a taste of the strengths that Christ gives us and love them with the tough love that the give to us.
But the whiners will say on both sides that not christian like and point fingers and whine that its not fair like some kindergarten kid that dropped his ice cream and now no one else should have one.
insane. And truly all about everything but what its supposed to be about.

posted December 14, 2008 at 8:41 am

What would Christ do? This is what we should do. The very name
christian means Christlike. Very few of us are like Christ.
Christmas, as a word means a mass for Christ.
On these same lines the commercial scene would like nothing more
than to be able to commercialize Easter also.

Esta

posted December 14, 2008 at 8:57 am

I think everyone should slow down and smell the roses. This HOLIDAY is for peace and love. That is all that is truly important here. God did not tell us to celebrate on December 25th. each year. So it is not a commandment taken from the scriptures. It is not the true birth of Christ on earth, but is celebrated by some as though it were. We don’t need to make it a religious war.
Times are hard and people need things to believe in. If they want to tell eachother “Happy Holidays” then so be it. I have no problem with hearing it and giving it back gladly. It is heartwarming to see people unite in friendship, even for just a little while.
My faith does not believe this to be the birth of Christ. But we do celebrate the national holiday of our country with gifts and foods and gatherings. We beleive that God is watching us and that Jesus does not want us to fight amongst ourselves. No pagan tree gods or easter bunnies for me, but I don’t insist my family members stop enjoying these holidays, as long as they explain it to the children for what it is. Jesus is the true meaning behind Christmas, even if it is not his birthday. Children need to know that they are loved and giving them gifts on this special day is still a wonderful way of showing them love and kindness. No Santa in the sky for us.

posted December 14, 2008 at 4:13 pm

I disagree with the writer of this article, and with some of those who seem to have some resentment, and a mind set of christian silence, with people like Bill O’Reilly and the likes for “whining” about Christmas. Why is he not calling us out to take the stand as Christians for our God Given “inalienable constitutional rights that allow us to express our religious freedom?” Lets remember that Bill OReilly is not a professed christian by the standard that many of us may claim to be posting comments on this site. What he says, honestly speaks for many Christians and none Christians alike, thats because it’s not about opinions – it’s about principles and what is right. Why are we so divided on moral and life issues, and yet dare to claim that the Bible is our sole rule of faith? I agree that Mr. OReilly may be a little over the top in the manner he presents his talking points, but see I dont buy he’s trying to make a name for himself -He’s #1. And every thing he sells on his site, he give to charity. He is simply standing up for what the church is not. That’s why Jesus said; For I say unto you, that God is able from these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. The “STONES ARE SPEAKING OUT” ladies and gentlemen. The church has been silent closed up within their expensive buildings, big programs, and high paid CEO leaders, while homosexuals, lesbians, abortion advocates, and the “ACLU” have bravely come out of their closets to defend their positions. Being a street, hospital, and ministry worker, I’ve seen our/my religious rights taken away through new laws that were not there before, while these groups I lovingly have ministered to can parade down large city streets may do it freely. Yes we will have no rights left if we continue to remain silent. If by the so called “whining” this message is in some way getting out , those who are really whining about the “whiners” should “WHINE” no more.

James Gilmore

posted December 14, 2008 at 6:52 pm

Who’s denying them? Seriously. Nobody is suggesting that you don’t have the right to express your religion. What we are saying is that you don’t have the right to use taxpayer money to privilege your religion over all others. The only way your “religious freedom” is affected is if your religion demands that public resources be used to propagate it.
You’re right. The Constitution sets forth two principles on the relationship between church and state: that the state should not prevent people from freely exercising their religion in the private realm, and that the state should not privilege one religion over another. Those are the principles of the relationship between church and state in America. If those principles are unsatisfactory for you, I recommend that you either (a) attempt to persuade your fellow-citizens to modify the Constitution through the amendment process, or (b) go somewhere a bit more theocratic. As it is, American law does not permit the privileging of one religion in the public square.
Because the Bible is a complicated document written 2000 years ago, that does not directly address the political and social issues of today, but rather provides a way of approaching the issues by which reasonable people can disagree? Just a thought.
What about his massive salary from Fox News? Does he donate all that to charity too? Bill O’Reilly is a charlatan, a demagogue interested in exploiting the fears and doubts of ordinary people in order to promote himself.
First, why is the ACLU in quotation marks? They actually exist.
Second, last time I checked, lesbians are homosexual too. Why separate them out?
Third, your hate list sounds eerily similar to the hate list Jerry Falwell rattled off when he blamed the above groups for 9/11.
Fourth, you presuppose that the church is necessarily opposed to all those groups. I’m pro-gay rights, pro-choice, and an ACLU donor, and a proud Christian. Those things are not mutually incompatible, and the church is not a monolithic entity.
Fifth, I agree with you that the suburban evangelical churches are too caught up in their programs, big buildings, and CEO pastors. Such things blind them to the very real effects of consumer capitalism when they should be speaking prophetically against it.
Which rights? Please name one. (Be sure to indicate exactly where in American law any such rights are recognized.)
Yes. How dare people who disagree with you be allowed to do so publicly? Conservative Christianity should be the only religion allowed to express itself in public.
Yes we will have no rights left if we continue to remain silent.
Again – please list one legally-acknowledged right you have lost.
I wouldn’t describe my opposition to the demagogues, charlatans, and theocrats of the “Christian” Right as “whining.” I would call it something more along the line of mockery, perhaps even pity.

Carolyn

posted December 15, 2008 at 4:36 am

You need to read your history books and the facts on where Christmas originated. The United States has been honoring and celebrating a pagan holiday. Christmas is not a Christian holiday. Read your history read your bible. If you think Christmas traditions originated in Holy Scripture, think again. Here is a link to just (1) place you can read it, and it is in history books. Even Santa himself is Pagan. What does that say about the U.S.? No one we have had things happening to us as we are displeasing what God really wants, we are defying him. Our children worship a fictitious character more than Jesus. Even the Christmas tree: Jeremiah 10:2-6: “Thus saith the Lord, LEARN NOT THE WAY OF THE HEATHEN…FOR THE CUSTOMS OF THE PEOPLE ARE VAIN: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.” United States better straighten up as we have been hosting the devil in our homes.

Snooze

posted December 15, 2008 at 1:06 pm

I agree – the whole mess does more to degrade and take away from the holiday than uplift it, and turns it into a time of paranoia instead of focusing on commemorating the birth of the Christian Messiah.
I got fired from my job a couple of years ago when all this started up, for saying “Happy Holidays” to a Jewish lady (assumed – she was buying something for her grandson’s bar mitzvah) who said it to me. I was told that this was Christmas, and no other holidays had a right to be acknowledged and only existed to turn attention from Christ. When I responded that, well, gee, Hanukkah was around for several centuries before Jesus was born, and he probably played with a dreidel as a kid, I was told that that was a lie, and God would judge me for it.
Who in their right minds objects to wishing that something be happy for someone?
Yesterday I had a total stranger (whom I wasn’t speaking with) vehemently correct me with an unpleasant face and warning tone because he overheard me say “Have a happy holiday” to someone who wished me the same. The relative of a friend chastised me for saying my birthday was on the winter solstice, and said I needed to say that it’s “close to Christmas” instead.
As a pagan witch who has no complaint with Christ (Dear Lord, Please Save Us From Your People), I have no problem wishing a Christian “Merry Christmas”. But I find it stupid that I can’t greet someone of another faith (or use the broader “happy holidays” if I don’t know them) without some overzealous watchdog feeling authorized to call me down for it. Especially when you consider that a large chunk of Christmas components were adapted from pagan holidays centuries ago, and the modern holiday is the current product of centuries of cultural evolution. Christ is probably up there somewhere smacking His forehead and going “Guys, come on! WWJD?”
Happy Birthday, Yeshua!
(goes off to dig out last year’s Yule log and await the return of the sun)

posted December 15, 2008 at 2:40 pm

I think this article is so true. People are forgetting what Christmas really means. Jesus was born on Christmas and that is why we celebrate it. And one thing the Lord loves us to do is give to others. Thus we give gifts to our loved ones and friends and also donate stuff to the poor or needy. And I am a firm believer in saying I hope you have a MERRY CHRISTMAS. You have to love others to care about our world and what is going on in it. I see no reason why it would be against anyone to have Merry Christmas put back in logos at stores. No more than it would be wrong to say what ever religion you are. Put a logo for all the religions up. Letting all know they are loved. And this is a FREE Country or suppose to be. So why is it wrong to advertise your religion? No one said you had to agree with it. But it is our Holiday. Our thanks to GOD. For giving his son for our sins. Even the ones against the Holiday. If you do not like how we celebrate ignore it. Why take away what means the most to Christians? And why we are on the subject. Why would they want to take IN GOD WE TRUST off our currency? Lets face it he is the only one you can trust. Have faith and enjoy CHRIST-Mas. Merry Christmas every one and I hope you have a BLESSED NEW YEAR.

GKNJ

posted December 15, 2008 at 3:11 pm

It is not possible for me to disagree more. The author seriously misses many points for those, such as myself, who are fighting the bias, bigotry and aggressiveness against Christmas. I do believe deeply that there is a war against Christmas in our nation and I do believe if it is not pushed back, there are serious consequences.
I, of course believe that our holiday of CHRISTmas has been hijacked and prostituted by commericialism, secularists etc. and it should have a much more spiritual and direct connection to Christ. But, by laying down and permitting a vast collection of ignorant, arrogant, bigoted and selfish goons take over CHRISTmas and what you can do, say, look at etc. for the holiday, we are permitting these same miserable human beings to take more steps to alienate and discriminate against us.
The blood boils when I hear or read ignorant fools say such things as CHRISTmas was never Christian and even Santa is pagan.
Complete, deep and maximum igorance on the part of these fools….as well as simply incorrect. CHRISTmas was established to celebrate the birth of CHRIST. Period. The date selected was of course to give the faithful a counter-holiday to all the true pagan ceremonies surrounding the Winter Solstice. The holiday of CHRISTmas is COMPLETELY NOT PAGAN. As with many many things in history, it has morphed into something different but the root of the day is simply marking the birth of Christ.
Atheists and those hostile to Christians or religion in general also attempt to convince people Santa is completely pagan. LOL. LOL. Fools. Santa may now be a commericlized marketing chracter but he actually is an early example in our country of attmepting to take a historical Christian figure, Saint Nicholas, and turn him into a secular chracter for non-religious purposes. Santa was created out of the stories of Saint Nicholas..who was devoted to Christ and served him in life by presiding as Bishop in Myra and doing many charitable things.
“Happy Holidays” and the stupidest term ever, “Season’s Greetings” are and should be offensive to Christians as should the war on Christmas. It must be understood atheists, agnostics, anti-Christian bigots and secularists have deeply embraced the campaign against the holiday. And, there more to come. Nativity’s in the public square, prayer in school, CHRISTmas carols in plays and even saying “Merry Christmas” are under attack. It is not a coincidence.
This is the U.S. It must be realized that “power” and “voice” in our land comes only with being a part of the public square and dialogue. By permitting the CHRISTmas holiday to become marginalized and any Christ-centric features of it eliminated, we have given up the most prominent time of year to spread the word of our Lord and display our love and pride of our Faith. Once we do that, whenever the Christian community attempts to speak and demonstrate we will be much more disrespected as CHRISTmas is being disrespected by a bunch of miserable human beings now. And before you know, our religious freedoms and faith itself will become threatened.
It needs to be understood that the war on CHRISTmas is real and needs to be taken seriously. It is frontline of a war against Faith and Religion itself in our nation and pay close attention to the fanatic demonstrations of those who are rallying against CHRISTmas. You will see that they, in reality, hold deep prejudice and hate toward the Faith, God and Religion in general and are using ridiculous arguments to sway people’s thoughts against the holiday, Christ himself and our Faith.

Blaine

posted December 15, 2008 at 3:31 pm

Simply put, this article speaks volumes on itself. Since when did someone’s faith in their OWN beliefs depend on the beliefs of others? For people that think that their faith is under attack and the only thing to do to restore it is to belittle others and whine about what other people believe, take some time to realize that they are YOUR beliefs, not their’s. If your faith is weak enough to break under the strain of others thought, then it’s not faith at all. I just happened to come acrossed this, so take it into account:
Psalm 41-
As for me, I said, “O LORD, be gracious to me;
heal me, for I have sinned against you.”
My enemies wonder in malice
when I will die, and my name perish.
And when they come to see me, they utter empty words,
while their hearts gather mischief;
when they go out, they tell it abroad.
All who hate me whisper together about me;
they imagine the worst for me.
They think that a deadly thing has fastened on me,
that I will not rise again from where I lie.
Even my bosom friend in whom I trusted,
who ate of my bread, has lifted the heel against me.
But you, O LORD, be gracious to me,
and raise me up, that I may repay them.
By this I know that you are pleased with me;
because my enemy has not triumphed over me.
But you have upheld me because of my integrity,
and set me in your presence forever.
Just because someone thinks a different way then you, don’t let it break your spirit. Honor your brothers and sisters in this little walk of life, enjoy the arguments, express your beliefs, and believe in your faith for it is YOUR’S and no one elses.
Jesus came to Earth to teach us about humility, sacrifice, love, and faith. Don’t make those lessons go down in vain because you can’t accept the fact that people aren’t as eager to believe as you are.
Moreover, just to show where I’m coming from, I believe in a one God by many names ideal. We all worship the same God, but from a different text, which by means of translation throughout history, can become different from book to book. Humanity is my family. I see everyone on Earth as my brothers and sisters. Throughout time, religious wars have come and gone because radicals interpret word for word without reading between the lines. Don’t let that discourage your faith, but let it be a lesson to accept the fact that the world is not centered on your specific beliefs, but on a plan by God. Question that plan, and you will undoubtedly lose yourself.
Lastly, if we are going to “celebrate” the birth of Jesus Christ and honor his name by waging a war against those that don’t believe, then you are not doing justice to the life and death of your savior. He didn’t teach paintence, love, and fellowship just to have so-called “believers” taint his image by whining that the day set forth to recognize his birth isn’t tailored specifically to that one person.
Also, if you don’t like the term “Happy Holidays”, don’t look at it. Paint “Merry Christmas on your eyelids and walk around blindly. If it hurts your faith that much that you would “war” against it, only shop at Christian stores. The economy isn’t tailored JUST to Christians.

James Gilmore

posted December 15, 2008 at 3:52 pm

Bias, bigotry, and aggressiveness? Those are some pretty strong words. Can you give strong examples, or just more Bill O’Reilly-esque molehill-into-mountain bloviation?
Serious consequences like… what, exactly?
Then it’s time for you and your fellow evangelicals to start cleaning house. Time for you to actually do something about it… like, say, not shop at Christmas, and stand up against the heresy of free-market consumer capitalism.
Alienate and discriminate against you? Please tell me exactly where and how that’s occurring. I want names, dates, places, and specifics.
uh… if you’re offended by someone wishing you a happy holidays or greeting you during the holiday season, I think you’re the one with the problem. I’m a Christian, and take absolutely no offense to someone wishing me well.
Oh no! Whatever will we do? We might have to respect all religious traditions and those of no religion instead of imposing our religious faith and our religious holidays on them. How awful.
Nativity’s in the public square…
Nativity scenes are allowed in the public square… as long as all religious traditions (and non-religious traditions) are given exactly the same opportunity to present their message. Do you have a problem with this?
…prayer in school…
…is still perfectly legal. What isn’t legal is institutionally-supported, school-led prayer in public schools, because the public schools are the property of the public – who are of all religious traditions.
…CHRISTmas carols in plays…
What plays are these, exactly? Public school plays – in the same public schools that are constitutionally prohibited from the establishment of religion? No problem here.
…and even saying “Merry Christmas” are under attack.
Under attack by whom? Companies, who are interested in selling to people of all faiths? Government, which is prohibited from establishing religion?
And how weak is your faith that you think you’re “under attack” unless someone specifically acknowledges your religious holiday when greeting you? Do you really think God is that immature and small?
And if there’s one thing Jesus Christ says you should seek, it’s power.
You have a pretty small view of the means of expression in this country if you think that public resources are required to spread your word.
Seriously, if your spreading the word of God relies on your use of resources that belong to the public, you probably should come up with a better plan. The earliest Christians not only didn’t enjoy a place of privilege in the state, they were actively opposed by it – and yet they managed to spread the Word just fine. Are you suggesting that God is weaker now than God was then?
Respect. That’s the other thing Christ told His followers to seek. Above all else, He said, you should always try to get and keep power and respect.
But if it’s respect you’re after, receiving respect from others requires respect toward others. Demanding that your religious beliefs be put on a pedestal and be given a privileged position above all other faiths is disrespectful – not only of those other faiths but of America itself, a nation whose founding document contains the principle that the state cannot establish religion.
uh… how exactly is this happening? Let’s see one instance in which actual religious freedoms – the right of individuals to practice their religion in a non-disruptive fashion using private resources – were threatened.
You keep claiming that, but you don’t demonstrate it.
Oh no! There are people who want to convince people not to have religious faith! Please tell me how this is any different from the proselytization of evangelicals. As long as the marketplace of ideas is open, all have access, and no religion (or irreligion) is given a place of privilege, why not allow people to decide for themselves?
I hold my faith in great regard. It is the major force in my life, and has guided me in more ways than I can count. Yet I do not believe that Christianity, or any other religion, should be given a place of privilege in the public square. I believe all religions should be treated equally – and given that the “Christian” Right is demanding that their religion be put on a pedestal, that means I will stand in opposition to them.
You seem to believe in a very weak God – a God whose Church cannot do anything unless they are able to place themselves in a place of privilege in the public square, a God who feels attacked whenever anyone doesn’t greet another person in the name of the specific Christian holiday, and a God who cannot work unless God’s followers are people with great power and great respect in culture. In short, you seem to have conflated God’s power with the State’s power. This is a rather incomplete and small view of God.

posted December 15, 2008 at 4:51 pm

That’s a lot of thought-provoking commentary. You’re all coming at it from a different angle but Love shines through. Merry Christmas all.

posted December 15, 2008 at 4:55 pm

WITH THE NAME OF THE ONE CREATOR ALMIGHTY
“PEACE TO ALL PEACE MAKERS AND SUPPORTERS OF TRUTH AND JUSTICE WITH LOVE FOR ALL TRIBES IN THE ONE HUMAN FAMILY…amen”
BELOVED PEOPLE
TRUTH IS,AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN THE ANSWER.
IN ANCIENT BEGINNING OF RELIGIOUS LANGUAGE,THE WORD MAN MEANT “MIND”
AND THE WORD WOMAN MEANT “WOMB OF MIND”, AS IDENTIFICATION OF HUMAN INTELLECT HAVING BEGINNING IN,DEPENDENCY ON,AND DEVEOLPING FROM THE INFLUENCE OF WOMB ENVIRONMENT. ADAM REPRESENTED RATIONAL THINKING AND EVE REPRESENTED EMOTIONAL NATURE IN THE NATURAL MAKEUP OF HUMAN CREATION.
FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS,HUMAN CULTURE HAS BEEN NATURALLY DEVELOPING,
WITH KNOWLEDGE EVOLVING AND UNDERSTANDING STRUGGLING TO KEEP UP.
TRUTH IS,CHRISTMAS HAS ALWAYS BEEN A PAGANIZED HOLIDAY BASED ON PAGAN PRACTICES THAT WERE(ARE)IDOLATROUS. HOW MANY CHRISTIANS KNOW THAT IT IS WRONG TO CELEBRATE DIVINE SUBSTANCE WITH PAGAN RITUALS,NO MATTER HOW WELL INTENDED.
PRAYERS MUST BE MADE FOR CHRISTIANS TO REJECT THIS PAGAN CHRISTMAS
FRONT. PLEASE,LET US PRAY – “DEAR LORD OF CREATION,IT IS IN COMPLETE SINCERETY AND HONESTY THAT WE COME TO YOU IN PRAYER,ASKING YOU TO HELP US CLEANUP OUR WORSHIP/SERVICE AS BELIEVERS IN THE PURITY OF FAITH,TRUST,AND DEVOTION TO YOU. THANK YOU FOR THIS MERCY …amen”

archer

posted December 15, 2008 at 6:47 pm

we’re making a lot of fuzz to non essentials. OUR FAITH IS NOT MEASURED ON WHETHER WE CELEBRATE THIS OR THAT HOLIDAY. Our faith is measured on what we do to make the light of Christ shine in us so that others who sees it will know Him and follow Him.
the beauty of faith is seen when we acknowledge that it is God who bring people to Him and that He only use our lives to bless others.
Jesus is the reason for the season, so be it. LET THE SEASON SHOW THE REAL REASON.. J E S U S.
JESUS birth is so simple, sans the pomp, of present day celebration. But as he made his sacrifice thousands of years ago, He did that on purpose so we will enjoy the benefits.
Whether one believes in His messages, it’s up to the individual. God is a God of mercy and grace, it is not for man to judge whether one gets saved or not, or one is christian or not , and in this case when one celebrates with pomp and commercialism the so called “birth of christ in December” or not.
Chriostian or non christian can stand together and be happy and promote world peace by celebrating what we can together. ISN’T THAT A WONDERFUL PICTURE?

Miles Batty

posted December 15, 2008 at 11:01 pm

Is there a war on Christmas? I thought it takes two sides to fight a war. Al I see here is one side – the Christian fundamentalists – doing all the yelling, banner-waving and name-calling. If there is a “War on Christmas”, where is the opposing force?
I feel that the only “war” here is Christians trying to assert their belief, by trying to disavow any other belief. So really, it’s not a war on Christmas, it’s a war on Anything-but-Christmas!
I do have a couple of questions for the Pro-Christmas militia…
Are you defending ALL aspects of Christmas, or just the ones you like best? Are you just defending the birth of Christ? Are you also defending Gold, Frankinscence and Myrrh? Are you defending Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner and Blitzen? Are you defending Christmas trees and mistletoe? Chestnuts roasting on an open fire? Decking the halls with boughs of holly? A fat guy in a red suit who lives at the North Pole with a bunch of elves? (What do all those various images have to do with the birth of the Holy Redeemer anyway?)
I do believe that the Birth of Christ should be celebrated and revered… but just as Christians are not the only people on this planet, so Christmas is not the only observance at this time of year. If you’re going to demand observance of Christmas, you should repay that demand by also honoring Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Yule, Sol Invictus, Saturnalia, Brumalia, Jul, Meán Geimhridh, Shabe Celle, ?eva Zistanê, Ziemassv?tki, and a host of others.
Fair is fair, people – you gotta show respect to earn respect.

posted December 16, 2008 at 7:26 am

We definitely have a powerful awesome GOD! Praise and worship are dedicated to our ulimate and loving Father!
Just my opinion, being a single mom, we DO NOT worship and praise Santa Clause, and the true meaning is revealed and we do celebrate the birth of Christ,along with gifts under the tree. I believe all should do what feels right from within their hearts. We have a loving understanding God who knows our hearts!
I also wondered about Halloween, are we promoting this demonic holiday……from this heart that does belong to our Father, I see as of this day and time in my life, no my family and I do not support the demonic force, we are just getting candy and bobbing for apples.
God Bless all…God Bless America…….So Merry Christmas to all, Happy Holidays……and yes, teach and tell all the word of Christ for it is written!!!!
One more penny for thought……you know of God,but do you know God?
Get your own personal relationship with our Father, enjoy this life and look forward to your inheritance awaiting you!

posted December 16, 2008 at 9:20 am

Merry Christmas America!
This Great and wonderful Young Country was founded by Real Men , Men that believed in Jesus, that prayed on there knees every morning to him! asking him to go with them to fight the battles of war. REMEMBER WITH OUT THIS WE WOULD HAVE NO AMERICA.
SO WITH THIS IN MIND, i ask you AMERICA do you not think we should keep doing things the same way? they gave us proof it worked , and God is listening to our words, and watching our honor to him all these years that has gone by, we have disappointed him so much, do you people not understand our money problems , our children problems our marriage problems come from our hard heads, to be politically correct.
Stand up! like a Soldier and have some Guts, you claim to be American
you better learn how to Fight for what you believe in! write emails, get on T.V.
Write Books go to Washington, support the belief , before you do not have a chance to support nothing, and someone eles makes all the calls in what you believe and how you believe, do you not think its time, America gives every other religion that comes to America, Grace , even makes Laws here to honor there beliefs, Please this is our Home!
Wake up America, God is good he does give grace and Mercy, but remember this he is a Jealous God, he does not enjoy our behavior, to even one moment of not honoring the birth of Christ, i work in Retail, and everyday i say to the people Merry Christmas, for 50 years this is all i know it to be! I will stand firm and hard about this and i will never be politically correct!I have every right to celebrate Jesus, and i am not afraid! I have been to an Islamic country, i have seen the walls outside the great America, believe one thing, as bad as it is , it is the Great America there is no place like our Country! Support Christmas you will never be sorry!

posted December 16, 2008 at 10:00 am

The battle is not just about Christmas. Christianity itself is under attack. Separation of church and state means only that the government cannot set up a religion–it does not give the government the right to tear down Christianity. Yes, this nation was formed on Christian principles. The history books are being changed so that we will forget that. American was stronger when it was a Christian nation. Now, our people will march in the streets to protect Islamic and other factions and turn their backs on our God. Everything is acceptable except Jesus. When you speak the name of Jesus, you are automatically discounted. Christians are having fewer and fewer liberties.

posted December 16, 2008 at 10:42 am

For the comments under “Your Name,” thank you, you’re the voice/s this page needed and God bless you.
“The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.” This Christmas why not be the good men God intended us to be and do something.
Merry Christmas

posted December 16, 2008 at 10:44 am

I have long sensed that Christains do not stand together enough on issues of government and the entertainment industry . If people don’t believe in Christmas they can go out into the barren land of this country and build their own society, and leave Christains alone. Even the Jews respect out belief in Christ. There are some Jews who do believen in Jesus.
Live like the Nudeist. Live their own life and let us live ours.

Claire

posted December 16, 2008 at 11:27 am

I’m a Christian. I love Jesus Christ and I am so grateful for him. Celebrating his birth and pondering his incarnation are part of the wonderful liturgical cycle of the year.
I could care less what Bill O’Reilly thinks–except, EXCEPT he, and other of his ilk, so distort orthodox Christian teaching that I fear that they drive some people away from Christianity. Odd their militant tone and war metaphor when the message of the Christian season is–
Peace and good will toward human being!

James Gilmore

posted December 16, 2008 at 11:32 am

I think I’ll address three comments at once here, just for fun.
You’ve been reading too much David Barton. Read some real history and see what the founders of this country actually believed about God. You’ll find that while they thought religion was good for the masses, as it would keep them in line, they themselves were aristocrats and free to think in a more Enlightened fashion about God. Many were Deists, Unitarians, or heretics of other stripes.
Your next few sentences are based on this erroneous assumption.
This is everyone’s home who calls him- or herself American – the Christian, the Jew, the Atheist, the Muslim, the Wiccan. There are no “other” religions, as if there was one normative religion. America is a pluralist nation, not a Christian nation – and if you’re going to claim otherwise, please come armed with evidence and reason rather than just a priori assumptions and platitudes.
I have every right to celebrate Jesus, and i am not afraid!
And you shouldn’t be. Your right to celebrate Jesus is respected and honored in America. What is not respected and honored are attempts to use public resources to privilege Christianity over other religions.
Christianity itself is under attack.
Oh? It is? Let’s see specific examples. Names, dates, places, and events.
No, but it does give the government a right to say that Christians can’t use government resources – which are the property of all the people, not just the Christians – to establish their religion. It is establishment of religion for a courthouse to put up a nativity scene but refuse a menorah or a plaque from the Atheists. It is an establishment of religion to compel children in public schools to pray. If you see those things as “tearing down Christianity,” you have a very strange understanding of the important things about Christianity.
Yes and no. Some of the principles this nation was founded on were Christian. Others were purely of the Enlightenment.
American was stronger when it was a Christian nation.
Yeah, it was all peaches and cream… unless you happened to be African-American, Asian, American Indian, Jewish, Atheist, Roman Catholic, LGBT, or female. Straight white Protestant men had a great time in “Christian” America. That’s why they’ve continually stood in resistance to opening the public sphere to all the groups I previously mentioned.
I’m not quite sure what you mean by this, but if you’re referring to antiwar marches, people are marching in the streets to protest the killing of innocent people.
Where? When? Let’s see specifics, not platitudes.
Christians are having fewer and fewer liberties.
Oh? Then do what none of your compatriots around here could do and name them. Name one liberty – an actual, acknowledged liberty, not some weak thing like “they won’t let us impose our prayer on kids in school” – that has been taken from Christians. One liberty. Just one. Let’s see it.
You’re right about that. We need to stand together in pressuring government to treat everyone fairly, to stop supporting an economy in which the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, to stop the violence they’re spreading across the world in the name of empire. We need to stand together in pressuring the entertainment industry to stop glorifying violence, hatred, individualism, and misogyny.
Last time I checked, this is their country too. Do you have so little of Christ’s love that you cannot even stand to be in the same society as people who have different beliefs from you? Is the God you believe in so weak that God cannot function unless God controls the entire spiritual landscape through the coercive powers of government and social control?
Live like the Nudeist.
Why should they leave? It seems to me that you’re the one with the problem. If you can’t live well with others, you should remove yourself from the equation rather than demanding that the others leave.
Live their own life and let us live ours.
They’re trying to do just that. It’s quite difficult, though, when Christians at every turn insist that everyone’s tax dollars go to supporting Christianity, and when Christians insist socially on everyone acknowledging their holiday.

Brian Griffith

posted December 16, 2008 at 11:38 am

Good post.
It reminds me of when I was in India, and the Hindus, Muslims and Christians in the village all observed each others’ festivals. It was a party. Kike at Shia Muharram, all these sorts of people danced all night. Everybody had a good time. Nobody was b*tching

posted December 16, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Thank you for speaking out on this subject. I know that taking God out of our every day lives is why all the destruction in this world is going on. I believe that we all have the right to practice our religion without feeling it is a crime. I say bring Prayer back into the schools and let us all live in harmony once again. This is the reason there is so much crime in this world today, there are no morals. God Bless each and everyone of us.MERRY CHRISTMAS!

debbie short

posted December 16, 2008 at 7:27 pm

thankyou,i love jesus birthday.I believe everyone should take that day in rememberance of our savior.christmas is so commercialised and it usually the people that are wealthy.i pray that every child has a home .loving home,something good to eat,a gift they wanted and told the real reason we celbrated christmas.this should be done every year with cheer and song go around the kitchen and tell why you are thankful,GODBLESS YOU HAVE A MERRYCHRISTMAS BLUEEYESAND TEDDYBEAR

non-metaphysical stephen

posted December 18, 2008 at 3:04 am

I have never understood why O’Reilly, Limbaugh, Coulter, et al. are so worried about Christianity — it’s not like any of them are practicing Christians, is it?????
I say let them say whatever they want, as long as they don’t claim it’s for the sake of Christianity….

posted December 28, 2008 at 12:14 am

This country was founded as, and was declared by the Supreme Court in 1892 to be A CHRISTIAN NATION. Modern liberal misrepresentations of the founding father’s intent for this great land, are being used as a form of contemporary cultural revisionism(PC multiculturalism). Simply because there are people of other religions living among us, does not change the historical nor contemporary Christian nature of America. Jews constitute 1.2% and Muslims constitute o.6% of our population. All the other religions combined including Jews and Muslims and others constitute 4% of our population. 86% of Americans self-identify as Christian. The liberal attempt to de-Christianize the public square is designed to keep our children from being exposed to enlightenments like this following quote:
“IT CANNOT BE EMPHASIZED TOO STRONGLY OR TOO OFTEN THAT THIS GREAT NATION WAS FOUNDED NOT BY RELIGIONISTS BUT BY CHRISTIANS, NOT ON RELIGION BUT ON THE GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST. WE SHALL NOT FIGHT ALONE. GOD PRESIDES OVER THE DESTINIES OF NATIONS.”
–PATRICK HENRY
Merry Christmas to everyone!

One Little Problem

posted December 30, 2008 at 3:02 pm

Except that Patrick Henry didn’t say that. Oops, maybe you can’t hear me over your own shouting. Allow me to speak up: PATRICK HENRY DIDN’T SAY THAT. That quote comes from a 1956 newspaper editorial *about* Henry, and therefore represents the opinions only of the author of the editorial, not those of Henry.
Anyway, the actual law of the land, as ratified by President John Adams in Article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli, states that “the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion [and] has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen [Muslims].”
Merry Christmas to everyone (including non-Christians who wish to celebrate our holiday – please, feel free to join our party!)

Ron

posted December 30, 2008 at 11:29 pm

One Little Problem,
Thank you. The treaty of Tripoli states exactly what you said. I am at a loss as to why some Christians feel so threatened. This whole “war on Christmas” isn’t something that all Christians worry about, complain about, it’s a select few, specifically the Evangel/Conservative/ RR who are doing all the yelling. I just wish others Christians would tell them to shut up, in a kind manner. As much as i love this time of year,
Yule, for me, it becomes very draining when listening to all the belly aching by a few groups. This is sad as i then look forward to the Holiday season being over for the year, so i don’t have to listen to all the whining.
Blessing to all and a Happy New Year.

Catherine

posted January 10, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Jesus is the Way, Truth, and the Life. If you are a believer, how do think Jesus feels having His Holy name associated with a bunch of paganism? I doubt that He approves. If we are supposed to be preaching Truth to the world, why do we carry on with the lies?
Thanks

muldrake

posted November 25, 2009 at 1:36 pm

All I want to say is, if you do not celebrate Christmas, you should sit down and shut up, because it has nothing to do with YOU!
You all have a Blessed Merry Christmas! I will pray for you!

Pingback: Is “Merry Christmas” a Tool of the Devil? - Text Messages

posted November 30, 2011 at 1:44 am

IM a Christian that loves her lord, therefore i WILL NOT and DO NOT celebrate Christmas.

For you Christians out there screaming and raging about Christmas learn what the bible SAYS about its. when i became christian I never did it just because i was raised by christian parents, or for my husband. i did it for me and i WILL NOT follow men like most hypercritical Christians do.

10:1 Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:

10:2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.

10:3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.

10:4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

10:5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.