Progressive Revival

Progressive Revival

Christian Gate Keepers Declare Obama Not Christian

posted by Paul Raushenbush

Crunchy Con’s Rod Dreher has joined with Joe Carter to declare that Obama is not a Christian. What do you think?  Do you have to believe everything in the Nicene Creed to be a Christian?  Is the Nicene Creed open to interpretation?  By heterdox Christology, does Dreher imply that there is only one way Christians have approached the divinity of Jesus? What do people gain by saying that another person is religiously illegitimate?  I wonder…

From Dreher:  In the last post, I highlighted Michael Brendan Dougherty’s contention that Americans are theologically illiterate. Well, here’s Exhibit A: a fascinating, and illuminating, controversy started byJoe Carter, who questioned whether or not Barack Obama is a Christian. As a statement of minimal Christian orthodoxy — that is, what it is necessary to believe to be a Christian — the Nicene Creed is as basic as it comes. And yet, in a 2004 interview with Cathleen Falsani, published in full the other day by Steve here on Bnet, Obama apparently professed a heterodox Christology:

FALSANI: Who’s Jesus to you?

(He laughs nervously)

OBAMA:
Right.

Jesus is an historical figure for me, and he’s also a bridge between God and man, in the Christian faith, and one that I think is powerful precisely because he serves as that means of us reaching something higher.

And he’s also a wonderful teacher. I think it’s important for all of us, of whatever faith, to have teachers in the flesh and also teachers in history.

LR

posted November 17, 2008 at 12:10 pm

Why did Exhibit A not ask Obama if he believed in salvation through the death and resurrection of Jesus the Christ?
Would that not be central to the faith and unity of all Chritianity despite any creed or dogma?
To say that Obama believes Jesus was a historical figure, a rabbi or teacher, a link between the Father and himself and the world (at least it wasn’t a bridge to nowhere) and a means of reaching for something higher than self–well, all of that would be in the belief of all or at least most Christians, I would think.
But, where is the central question to the Christian faith and why was it left out Joe? Joe, tell me it ain’t so! Guess we’ll never know now!
Best wishes!

Faith

posted November 17, 2008 at 12:24 pm

yeah…this strikes me as bogus. i was raised in a baptist church, and I was never asked about the Nicene Creed or the Apostle’s creed. I was asked (approxamately,) if I believed in God the Father, and that his son Jesus Christ died for my sins, and told that believing in my heart and confessing with my mouth that Jesus Christ was Lord was my path to salvation. I don’t think that what Obama said was wrong…it just wasn’t explained as well as a pastor might explain things. Whatever the case, this just doesn’t strike me as proof he is not a Christian. But it does sound like the beginning of a “Witch Hunt,” because I haven’t heard talk like this in all my 40 something years….Scary.

Drew Tatusko

posted November 17, 2008 at 12:24 pm

I must have missed the part where he denies the divinity of Christ. I believe in the divinity of Christ and I also believe that Jesus is a bridge between humankind and God (the image that conjures Plotinus, Augustine and others lest we also consider them heterodox). It is also not quite orthodox to suggest that Jesus was not an historical figure. I also recite the Apostles’ Creed every Sunday and mean it.
What a red herring from Dreher. It seems that he is among the theologically illiterate to whom he refers.

gmo2

posted November 17, 2008 at 12:27 pm

This whole is-Obama-a-Christian schtick is wearing more than a little thin. You’re taking one interview and trying to blow it up into something. RJohnson quotes Obama above at Rod’s site as saying: “I believe in the redemptive death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.” That pretty much does it for me. Obama was a member of the UCC, which accepts the Nicene Creed. So, while Obama did not, in this interview, specifically say he believed in it, since he was a member of that church, he probably does. Now, not everyone believes in all things their church believes in, but it leads more to the conclusion that he does than one single interview does. And so what if he doesn’t believe precisely what Rod believes. There is a lot of disagreement as to what it means, precisely, to be a Christian. Tell you what, have the Republican party research this, have everyone agree as to what it means to be a Christian and then send out a test to everyone in the country to have them take to see just who is and who is not a Christian. That ought to keep them busy and out of the way of solving the substantive issues that face us.

Patricia Iseli

posted November 17, 2008 at 12:50 pm

I agree with gmo2. This whole issue of what Obama believes in is getting a little tiring. Another issue I have is that if a Catholic voted for Obama, he is not a Catholic anymore. What nonsense!!!. If you are baptized and still a practicing Catholic, who has the right to say that you’re not a Catholic anymore. You don’t hear any other christian churches telling their congregations that their not Protestant, Lutheran, Episcopalian anymore just because they voted for Obama. I have nothing against John McCain, it was Sarah Palin’s personality that I didn’t feel comfortable with. If something would happen to John McCain, guess who would have been in charge? God help us if she was in charge. They said Obama was not ready to be president, but neither would she be.

Tom

posted November 17, 2008 at 12:56 pm

In Dreher’s defense, he is Cajun Orthodox (yes, that’s a joke!) Christians from Apostolic faiths tend to see things more definitively and adhere more strictly to ‘articles of faith’ required as pre-requesits in Catholic and Orthodox circles.
In this particular day in age, being ‘Christian’ can be anything one chooses it to mean, as there are over thirty-thousand denominations to choose from and counting. I do agree that Obama didn’t expressly deny the Divinity of Christ, nor did he even comment on it. Personally, it is Obama’s stance on particular social issues which leads me to question the genuineness of his claim of being Christian.

Blue Collar Todd

posted November 17, 2008 at 1:08 pm

I notice the quote does not deal with when Obama denies Jesus as the the one and only way in which we can be saved. He also defines sin in a self referentially incoherent way, as violating his personal values, not violating God’s Commandments.
This is concerning along with someone one the Left proclaiming Obama to be the first “Pastor in Chief”. If Obama can hold views so clearly counter to biblcial Christianity, then maybe Oprah can be considered a Christian even though she denies Jesus as the sole way of salvation. Who also follows the New Age teachings of Eckhard Tolle.

RJohnson

posted November 17, 2008 at 1:24 pm

“Personally, it is Obama’s stance on particular social issues which leads me to question the genuineness of his claim of being Christian.”
I trust that other politician’s stands on social issues would cause you similar concern. After all, killing of innocents can (and often does) extend to those who have been born as well as those unborn.

Charles Cosimano

posted November 17, 2008 at 1:29 pm

I can’t wait to see the fuss when we elect the first Jewish President!

RJohnson

posted November 17, 2008 at 1:51 pm

To those who question Obama’s faith based on this one interview, I pose this challenge: give us some proof that you are orthodox in your own Christian belief. We have a forum here, and you have all of Beliefnet at your disposal before you. Give us some proof that we all will accept that you are Christian.

Tom

posted November 17, 2008 at 1:53 pm

“After all, killing of innocents can (and often does) extend to those who have been born as well as those unborn.”
How very right you are!! Can’t even begin to imagine how wierd it would be standing in the pews next to Edi Amin!

believer

posted November 17, 2008 at 2:03 pm

It is interesting the questions that have been raised by people here. We are not put on this earth to pass judgment, that is not our duty. I think one issue discussed briefly here (the killing on innocents)is not as much as a political issue as people make it out to be. It is a spiritual issue that needs to be addressed in a spiritual manner. It is ok to stand up for what you believe that is what you should do. But address the issues where they need to be addressed. If you are not praying for it to end it will not happen.

hootie1fan

posted November 17, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Tell President (elect) Obama not to worry. As a Catholic, I have been told by numerous people that I am not a Christian either. I have some good company now.

Solarain

posted November 17, 2008 at 2:07 pm

You know, I don’t think it’s the right of anyone to judge someone else’s form of Christianity. Only our maker knows the truth. Human judgment is what gets us into trouble – calling someone else a non-Christian does not validate your own Christianity. Live and let live. “Love ye one another.”
There’s too much judgment and negativity in the world as it is. Peace out.

hootie1fan

posted November 17, 2008 at 2:09 pm

Isn’t it interesting that we are comparing someone who is pro-choice as nothing less than a baby murderer even though he himself has never performed or had an abortion, yet the current president whose pre-emptive war has resulted in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi men women and childre, the same man who has signed more death penalty warrants than anyone ib recent history gets a pass as not only a “Good” Christian, but a compassionate one as well?!?!?!!?

Your Name

posted November 17, 2008 at 2:20 pm

Man I’m fat. And I mean obese. Spiritually I mean. Phew-wee, that needle eye is looking waaaay small.

LutheranChik

posted November 17, 2008 at 3:02 pm

Excuse me, but did I miss the memo where American Presidents are required to pass a Christian orthodoxy test in order for their presidency to be valid?
BTW — d’ya think Nixon would have passed a similar orthodoxy exam?

James Gilmore

posted November 17, 2008 at 3:07 pm

No, you didn’t. In fact, the exact opposite is true:
The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States.

Art

posted November 17, 2008 at 3:12 pm

Since we’re supposed to emulate Jesus and they considered Jesus to be an apostate, we’re in good company.
I’d rather be out of the camp then in the camp with some who deem themselves keepers of the Christian faith.

james curtis

posted November 17, 2008 at 3:59 pm

Nowhere EVER has Obama denied the divinity of Christ. As a divine figure, part of the holy trinity, he is indeed a bridge to God the Father.
America is NOT a Theocracy. Presidents do not have to have degrees in Theology. Get over yourself. The writer here does not seem to know what the trinity means.
The meek shall inherit the Earth–I take that to mean that all radical Muslims, Radical Christians, and Radical other groups shall not. ’nuff said.

Ingrid

posted November 17, 2008 at 4:36 pm

It is the Christians that are ruining this country. It is the Christians who elected President George W Bush for President because everyone felt he is such a moral Christian and look what has happened to this country. There is a reason why our forefathers wanted church and state to be separate. Have we not learned from our mistakes? Must we be condemned to repeat history? When is this nation going to grow up?! The scary part about all of this is most radical neo conservative Christians… if you just listened to yourselves you are walking a very close path with the KKKs! Christ teaches to love your enemies. All you do is HATE anything that does not think like you. READ YOUR BIBLE! Best yet Read your Gospels! You sound no different than the Pharisees and Sadducee’s in Christ’s days.

Joe T

posted November 17, 2008 at 5:41 pm

Who is anyone to say that they’re not a christian? Im a christian but I hold it very personal. Maybe he doesnt fully have an understanding with who Jesus is. But maybe he has a personal relationship that he doesnt want to discuss. WHY, WHY, WHY. Maybe Im just fed up with all christians in general. Dont you people get it, you make christians sound like people who judge. Every Christ follower isnt the same.

Russell Baskett

posted November 17, 2008 at 7:38 pm

It is so difficult to confess that I am a christian because it seems necessary to pass a prescribed belief test, and I seem to fail some parts of that test. So, I explain to those who will listen that I am a Christian because I do my best to be a follower of Jesus. That does not require even knowing the content of the Nicene Creed. Of course Jesus knew nothing of the Nicene Creed.

Beruriah

posted November 17, 2008 at 9:50 pm

Charles Cosimano- your comment was amusing and sad, as that will never happen in this country. When Christians have trouble being “Christian enough” in order to get elected, none of the non-Christians in this nation will ever be acceptable to a majority of the electorate.

CAG

posted November 17, 2008 at 11:19 pm

Did Ms Falsani ask the same of Mr. McCain? Probably not, since I heard she was looking for him in area Phoenix and DC churches, but alas, could find little trace that Mr. McCain ever frequented any…
I wonder why that ol’ librul media never told us about why Mr. McCain didn’t regularly go to church until coincidently he started running for president again. Oh, never mind, he’s a rich white republican dude, I forgot, we’re just supposed to believe those guys are all next to Mother Teresa and Billy Graham in their piety

Your Name

posted November 17, 2008 at 11:44 pm

If you declare yourself to be a “christian” and yet support the right of an abortionist to murder a pre-born child then your declaration is false.
You may delude yourselves and others but you may not and cannot delude the Almighty.

NightLad

posted November 18, 2008 at 4:36 am

>>>”Unless Obama was being incredibly and uncharacteristically inarticulate, this is heterodox. You cannot be a Christian in any meaningful sense and deny the divinity of Jesus Christ. You just can’t.”
That’s funny, because the early Christian Church nearly ripped itself in half over that very argument. In fact, they even put it to a vote. The outcome was not nearly as wide as you might think.
Obama has said he is a Christian. Everything after that is between him and the Divine, by whatever definition you use.
It is both arrogant and (IMO) Un-Christian for anybody to contradict him, because to do so implies a depth of knowledge into the heart of another human being. That domain is Gods alone.

NightLad

posted November 18, 2008 at 4:42 am

Your Name:
>>>”If you declare yourself to be a “christian” and yet find it acceptable that two men penetrating each other with their penises are deserving of special rights and rewards then your declaration is false.”
Not “special”: EQUAL.
And stop obsessing about how some gay people have sex. Being gay isn’t all about sex.

marie

posted November 18, 2008 at 6:39 am

worry about yourself do not try and judge what is in other peoples hearts

Your Name

posted November 18, 2008 at 6:40 am

I strongly appreciated the comment that Your Name shared. I believe in it. Jesus and God is one. In case they don’t know, there are 3 persons in one God! THE FATHER, THE SON AND THE HOLY GHOST!

La Vernia Anita

posted November 18, 2008 at 8:40 am

This would be laughable if it was not so sad. Mr Obama is not a Christian. You cannot proclaim Christianity and back all the things Christ stood against. At this point all we can do is pray for this man, and hope that God will change his heart. What amazes me is the amount of Evangelical Christian’s that voted for this man. Personally I voted the Bible, or as close as I could get to it. I am very saddened by the people that choose a President that they believe would help their pocketbook rather than one that would help morality. As the Bible tells us the root of all evil is the love of money. That is what this election was all about. God Bless America, and God save us!

Alison

posted November 18, 2008 at 8:50 am

This is sad. Obama is a lot more of a Christian than a lot of Christians! I find it an incredible black eye on the body of Christ that we’re sitting around judging who is and who isn’t a Christian, when the only one Whose verdict counts is Christ’s (see Matthew 7:21-23).
Let’s be clear: I’m NOT implying by using that passage that Obama has a corner on God’s will, nor am I saying that he’s doing it 100%. What I AM saying, however, is that this judging him is ridiculous, and maybe those of us who call ourselves Christ-followers ought to spend even 10% of the time we spend judging him looking at ourselves. If we did, I daresay we’d not feel as smug judging Obama.

Your Name

posted November 18, 2008 at 9:09 am

IM SO AMAZED HOW SMALL CONVERSATIONS TURN INTO CONTROVERSAL ISSUES. ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK… WHAT HAPPENED TO JUDGE LEST YE BE JUDGED. IM SURE THAT IF WE TOOK YOU AND PUT YOU UNDER THE MICROSCOPE THAT YOU PUT OBAMA UNDER, THERE WOULD BE SOMETHING UNPLEASANT OR DISAGREEABLE IN YOU BEING AS WELL, BECAUSE WE ALL FALL SHORT OF THE MARK. BEING A CHRISTIAN IS AN UNGOING PROCESS. WHEN YOU BECOME PERFECT YOU LEAVE THIS LIFE. THIS WORLD IS NO PLACE FOR PERFECTION. KEEP LIVING AND STOP FINDING FAULT. LETS PRAY FOR HIM, AFTER ALL HE WILL HAVE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THESE STATES ON HIS HAND AND YOU ARE IN THESE STATES.

James Gilmore

posted November 18, 2008 at 9:38 am

You cannot proclaim Christianity and back all the things Christ stood against.
He did? Let’s see chapter and verse.
Personally I voted the Bible, or as close as I could get to it.
Personally I voted the Constitution, since the Bible isn’t the law of the land, nor should it be in a secular state.
Please show me where you find “help morality” in the enumerated powers of the Executive Branch in the Constitution. I can show you where in the Constitution the President is given responsibility for overseeing things like the federal treasury, and where in the Constitution Congress is given the authority to engage in economic measures (which the President would then sign and execute).
As the Bible tells us the root of all evil is the love of money.
The Bible also tells us that we – both as individuals and as a society – will be judged by how we treated “the least of these,” those who are suffering from lack of money. If you want to characterize wanting a dependable job that pays enough to raise a family on, wanting access to affordable healthcare, and wanting to save money for retirement as greed, then go ahead – but I think most Americans have a much more restrictive definition.
God Bless America, and God save us!
I agree. God save us from people who believe it’s their right to push their moral views on everyone else. God save us from Christians whose attitude is “I’ve got mine, sucks to be you.” God save Christianity from our selfishness, our self-righteousness, and our pride, and make us into the humble servants of the poor, the oppressed, and the downtrodden.

Veda

posted November 18, 2008 at 9:56 am

The Bible also said to beware of wolves in sheeps clothing and also you can tell what kind of tree it is by the fruit it bares…nuf said

Randy

posted November 18, 2008 at 10:07 am

As upset as I am by an Obama presidency and the fact that so many CHRISTIANS voted for him, no one but GOD has the right to discern whether or not Obama is a Christian. There are some, since I do not adhere to their tenets, would declare that I am not a Christian and if adhering to their tenets (including the new position of Episcopalians to accept Gay clergy)I would prefer NOT to be a Christian. I’m just saying that for a group of “people” to declare someone “not a Christian,” is one of the least Christ-like moves I can think of.

Mike BRR

posted November 18, 2008 at 10:50 am

If Obama is not a Christian, then either was Thomas Jefferson who has a mixed history on his acceptance of Jesus’ divinity.
If Christians whose mouths are full of sour grapes feel better declaring Obama is not a Christian, let them be happy for a day or two.

A. Cross

posted November 18, 2008 at 10:52 am

My, Obama hasn’t taken office yet and some folks are experts on whether or not he’s Christian. Wonder if the sitting president is considered Christian after having led the U.S. military into Baghdad with the Bible in one hand and a weapon in the other(not to mention the acts of genocide and other atrocities committed the American people may never be privileged to know)? I suppose a great many of those who happen to be experts on who is and is not Christian might have agreed tha Atlantic Slave Trade was truly a “Necessary Evil” in an effort for America to be what she is today.

Your Name

posted November 18, 2008 at 11:55 am

I don’t see how anyone has the right to make accusations on whether or not anyone is a christian or not. People have no right to judge others on any level. This is the job of God himself nad who are you to stand in his place. Like the bible says: “All men will be judged”. Take off your jackets, take down your nooses and wait it out. Your responsibility as a person/christian/whatever is to make the right decisions for YOURSELF and pray and have hope for others. This arrogant judgmental attitude today is sickening. Yeah, maybe somone isn’t a christian who claims it. So what! It’s not your business, so stay out of it! In conclusion, worry out bout you, not others.

sandi

posted November 18, 2008 at 12:09 pm

If we are True Christians, Then we must be very careful, remember God is in controle, can we all remember the verses in the Bible..Judge Not, & People in glass houses should not throw stones, none are with out sin. The fact of the matter is that we are entering the time of Christ’s return, infact all of what is happening in our world today has been pre-ordained, so rather than complaining about something that is totally out of our controle, I say be glad & rejoice because our Lord is about to return.

Melanie

posted November 18, 2008 at 12:36 pm

I agree…only God knows a person’s heart. It is nobody else’s place to “judge” anyone. I was not happy that Obama won the election and I did not vote for him for many reasons (several pertain to moral issues), but the office of President of the United States deserves respect and he will be holding that office for the next four years. I do not know this man personally and would not presume to make a call as to whether or not he is a Christian; however, as a Christian, I AM able to discern whether or not the comments that he makes about the Christian faith are in line with God’s word. We all need to pray for this man and for our country.

nancy sechler

posted November 18, 2008 at 1:23 pm

I feel sorry for anyone that does not believe in JESUS.He is our one and only SAVIOR. God please let us all pray for Obama, if he is not a Christin he and his family really need all the prayers. We also need for him to be a Bible beliving christin.

Just a concerned reader

posted November 18, 2008 at 1:43 pm

Wow, Can I ask then what is our current president? I see that he has killed innocent people, told lie after lie. Is anyone or was anyone questioning his belief when he took office? Obama is here because the time is right for him to be where he is. If that is not of God then I don’t know what is. He is here to help the people of this world without looking at the color of the skin, or the what religion they are. He is God-Sent to show us that Jesus loved all and he helped all.

Elijah Alexander, Jr.

posted November 18, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Acts 12:26 defines Christina as “one in th elikeness of Yeshua ha’meshiach (Jesus the christ) because they wondered, taught and healed anywhere as he had. If the American people want a Christian president they should find someone meeting Isaiah 52:13-53:12 who is supposed to be on earch since 1948 (Isaiah 11:1-12). More than likely this man is prepared to lead this country into a state of peace (Isaiah 2:1-4) not known in any known history. If a president is elected who only perpetuate more of what has been going on for antiquity, how will it bnefit man-in-mass? If Christians want a president elected whose mind is enmity (Romns 8:6-8) to “the status quo” they need to find that one, lift him up in the media and require the United States to follow Amendment 12 and elect him. No other person would be Christian enough to bring the government into a state of peace.______Elijah, aka, NatureBoy

Your Name

posted November 18, 2008 at 2:16 pm

The Bible tells me, judge ye not, so who are we to judge somebody esle to say whether not if they are a Christian or not. By what you are doing don’t make you Christ like yourself. Everybody have a different opinion about who GOD the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit is to them, it don’t make them not to be a Christian. Exam yourself before you start to point finger at other people answers.

renee

posted November 18, 2008 at 2:26 pm

As for Obama I personally will never call him President he has not earned the title to me but the Bible also tells us to BEWARE of wolves in sheep clothing! Pray Pray Pray is all I can say.

rhonda wilkins

posted November 18, 2008 at 3:05 pm

AS A PEOPLE WE JUDGE. WE ARE ALL WAYS PUTTING OUR MOUTHS ON OTHERS.AS A BELIVER OF THE TRINTY [FATHER,SON,HOLY SPIRIT]WE SHOULD STOP JUDGEING EACH OTHER..TRY PRAYER!! IT WORKS
GOD BLESS ALL!!

Marie

posted November 18, 2008 at 3:08 pm

Who is to say who has earned the right to president or anything? I am sure we have all done something that makes us unworthy. Romans 3:23, we all have sinned. Our trust should be in God not man, No matter who the president is or color, true christain dont need to worry about it ecspecially if you are prayed up. So who is to sat what areal Christain. We all are trying to get to one place and we have one will and its Gods will. If you feel someone is not what you think then pray for them it is not our job to judge anyone. Remember to be Christ like and pray for the lost and the misunderstood. Remember when you point one finger you have more pointing back at you from the same hand you use to point out someone elses faults.

Eric

posted November 18, 2008 at 3:26 pm

It never ceases to amaze me how people can turn molehills into mountains with little effort, especially if there is a hidden agenda. I happened to be in St. Louis, MO when President-Elect Obama spoke to our (Christian) denomination’s quadrennial conference, and he talked about the specific time in his life when he accepted Christ as his Savior. That’s good enough for me, as it should be for the rest of Christendom…leave the man alone.

Your Name

posted November 18, 2008 at 6:35 pm

We voted for a president not a pastor. It is not the mans job to raise up biblical principals in which this country was founded on. It is the churches job, it is us the Christians, the evangelist and those that believe and or are in ministry. It’s the parents job to raise straight kids that won’t go and turn to the same sex, or commit abortions. The man is human and his job is to be Chief Commander not high priest. Pray for him don’t judge him. He’s only human just like we all are.

Terri Brewer

posted November 18, 2008 at 6:50 pm

WE MUST return to the Lord! We must become His People…seeking to please Him. From the small things we do and say….to the large things. All….impact others. I pray for Mr. Obama. He has
the weight of the US on his shoulders….equipped or not. He must
carry His position. Fruit and Voting records show who Mr. Obama is.
It is my prayer that He meets Jesus Christ in that Oval Office. It is my prayer that He is touched by the Masters hand. If so…..
He will have real CHANGE……the one that really MATTERS.
First….I think we need to look at ourselves. The state of our US didn’t happen over night. It’s time for believers in the Lord…and
believers in the true word of God….to become CHRISTIANS in action.
Loving and speaking up for what the Lord calls right ( and wrong).
More importantly….we need to learn to love and sacrafice to lift up and edify others. Our world is becoming cold …heartless…self seeking….and LONELY. GOD FORBID…that we dont’ WAKE UP CHURCH!
Terri

Terri Brewer

posted November 18, 2008 at 6:55 pm

Sorry to tell you………
WE are called ( all of us who believe in Christ Jesus) to
the Priest Hood of all believers. All of our lives are on display….and the fruit of whom we serve will show to others.
Don’t be talking to me about this seperation of PRESIDENT…and
any other normal beliver in Christ. WE are displaying our belief
everyday….in the very way we live. My President…..
is displaying whom he serves everyday……and there are many
fruit inspectors…..WATCHING…..PRAYING….AND LONGING TO SEE
JESUS’ LIKENESS IN THIS MAN. If not…..we have the right
as believers to question…………!!!
We all are called to die to self…and allow Christ to move in and through our lives.
Don’t be throwing up that “job”……”position”….and
the belief in God as being a SEPERATE THING. I am a follower of Christ every day….every second….are you?

Your Name

posted November 18, 2008 at 9:32 pm

Jesus also said, “Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.” Who are we or anyone to question what is in a man’s heart? Who are we to judge anyone? Jesus came for the unbelievers as well as the believers. He came to gather people of different backgrounds and positions in life, not divide people. Why is it that the so called righteous are the first to point a finger or question someone elses faith. Thank goodness that Jesus didn’t come touting his self-rightousness. He came to save the world and teach people how to love and treat each other. We must bring this country together to live in peace and to do what is right for all the people, not just for the righteous, or for only those that feel their religion is the only right one. Jesus never spoke about his particular religion. He spoke of love not condemnation.

shirley doll

posted November 18, 2008 at 10:01 pm

who are you to question Mr Obama christian belief,never in presidential history have any one questioned president elect ,so why now.for all i know you may be satan yourself. so judge not,for you will be judged.

Your Name

posted November 18, 2008 at 11:51 pm

__”Mr Obama is not a Christian. You cannot proclaim Christianity and back all the things Christ stood against.”____Like the present administration.____”Personally I voted the Bible, or as close as I could get to it.”____Sooooo…. I take it you didn’t vote republican…____”I am very saddened by the people that choose a President that they believe would help their pocketbook rather than one that would help morality.”____Pray tell, which one would help morality, the one that divorced his first wife after cheating on her with the billionaire beer heiress and hardly ever darkened the door of a church prior to his last campaign?____”As the Bible tells us the root of all evil is the love of money. That is what this election was all about.” ____How ironic that a right wing republican christian throws this one out! The agnostic Rove, Rushyboy, Newt, and all of their corporate oil, big pharma, and banking boys thank you for your support (while laughing at how easy it is to fool you, all the way to the bank)!____”God Bless America, and God save us!”__Amen__

J Scheidel

posted November 19, 2008 at 11:56 am

According to some, to infer that a person of habitually unchristian locution is overwhelmingly most probably unchristian is a sin. Yet, be it known as understood, Christianity entails the necessary belief that the substance of the Son is the same as that of the Father, and that those, who habitually sound as if they don’t believe it, most probably do not believe it, and are therefore unchristian, …unless further soundings of the depth of said un-Christian should refute this diagnosis. According to some, to determine that a person is this way or that, on the basis of demeanor of word and/or of action, is an erroneous endeavor against the person so judged. Certainly, therefore, Torquemada’s executive or executionary henchmen must have been Christian at heart, and Reverend Wright, his locutionary venom notwithstanding, is merely a garter or garden snake, a man of Christian love after Christ.

cheryl

posted November 19, 2008 at 11:59 am

Judge not least ye be judged. Does anyone out there remember what Jesus taught? It certainly wasn’t go around and tell everyone what a better Christian you are compared to the next person. Only Jesus Christ and God knows what is in Mr Obama heart. How do you know? Obama may be a better Christian than you? I think we all should look in our own hearts and pray that “we” are living the way Christ wanted us to live and pray for the ones who are lost.

Mike BRR

posted November 19, 2008 at 12:24 pm

There is some question as to whether Christ would be a member of some Christian organizations who are almost totally devoted to judging others while aggrandizing themselves as the holder of the one true way.

RED

posted November 19, 2008 at 2:36 pm

Isn’t “Jesus is the bridge between God and man” a Campus Crusade example?
While I would acknowlege that his answer isn’t theologically sophisticated, it’s probably mainstream American Christianity. Which perhaps supports the point that Americans are not theologically highly literate, but does nothing to show that the speaker either is or is not a Christian.
How many of us would answer a question asking who Jesus is “to you” with a theology essay?

Stephanie

posted November 19, 2008 at 3:39 pm

I have to agree with Red we can not say that Mr.Oboma is Christian or not. I depends on the interpritation of the individual to see Mr. Obamas reasoning. Personaly I voted for him because i felt that he will help america out not because he is or is not Christian. I pray that we will see the whole picture not just one or two persons belifes

Maplewood

posted November 19, 2008 at 4:19 pm

Obama’s statement, brief as it is, is classic Unitarianism, to my ear; an old and respected American Christian church.
Frankly, in light of Crunchy’s own recent spiritual trials and tribulations (evangelical to Catholic to Orthodox), one would expect him to be a bit more generous and less judgemental.
Didn’t Jesus say something like “judge not, least ye be judged by your own measure”?
The entire condemnation thing going on among the neocon’s is the very stuff we rejected in the election. It is the language of the past. It is the mindset of the past. Let’s lay it aside once and for all.

Val

posted November 19, 2008 at 7:15 pm

I AM SOOOO TIRED OF PEOPLE IN AMERICA WHO FEEL THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO JUDGE WHO IS A CHRISTIAN AND WHO ISN’T. Judge not lest ye be judged. God is the only one qualified to judge who is a true believer. President-Elect Obama’s life story could put some so called “Christians” to shame. Some of us go to church every Sunday and still practice racial discrimination. Jesus instructed us to love one another and to take care of the poor among us. Obama’s mother and grandparents took issue with (and challenged) the hypocrites who went to church and behaved abusive towards people who are different. Our duty on this earth is to follow God’s commandments so we can give an account for how we spent our time here on the day of reckoning. Pray for the success of our next president (if he fails we will all suffer) instead of judging his faith.

Your Name

posted November 20, 2008 at 12:44 am

It is funny that some the same people who want to decide if Obama is Christian or not decided that it is okay to dress up like witches and ghost and goblins and feel that there is nothing wrong with this resemblance of evil. One thing for sure Christian or not he is the 44th president of the United States and as we have done in the past like them or not, voted for them or not we support them for the nation has spoken and he, my sisters and brothers is the leader of this country. The Bible states that God is the holder of the kings hearts be they heathen or Christian.

Tammy

posted November 20, 2008 at 11:18 am

Anyone can clearly see that Obama is a christian. Although he doesn’t speak in biblical terms. We all know where he is coming from. He has to be politically correct first, because he represents all races, creeds, colors & religions when he represents the U.S. I’m sure that if he had it his way he would sing & shout like any other christian! But he is the President, so he has to remain Cool at all times! Let’s support our President, not beat up on him. Remember, God doesn’t make mistakes! This is the appointed time & season for Obama!!!

Your Name

posted November 21, 2008 at 1:54 pm

What makes someone a Christian is simply whether he or she has been baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. There has never been any other test, at least not with historic orthodoxy. People who condemn the orthodoxy of another might take a look at the log in their own eye.
The Nicene Creed has never been used by the church as a personal creed, it’s always been a corporate creed, by which churches as groups judge themselves as orthodox. The personal creed is the Apostles Creed. That’s the one that you would look for if you were really concerned about the historic Christian faith.
But the church, in its practice, has always said that a person is accountable for his or her faith to his or her own congregation. If the board of elders at Trinity UCC considers Mr. Obama a Christian, their judgment has to hold for the rest of us, and their judgment must continue to hold until such time as he joins some other church. Any pundit who pretends to be concerned about orthodoxy ought to have a high enough view of the church to understand that such judgments on a person are restricted to the church, and not given to the pundit.
God save us from unchurchly orthodoxy.

pagansister

posted November 22, 2008 at 10:11 pm

What difference does it make WHAT his religion is? He could be an Atheist for all I care, just so he does his best as the next president of this the USA! As to trying to “judge” where he ranks on some artificial rules as to what makes “a Christian?” I don’t even think anyone should be judging that. It is Obama’s business…not the people of this country. Religion is a personal matter.

RedHawk88

posted November 23, 2008 at 6:38 pm

I don’t know about 2004 and this Falsani interview, but during this year’s primary season, I saw a video where President-Elect Obama stated categorically that he believed that Jesus Christ was his lord and savior. Sounds like a Christian to me…though it doesn’t really matter to me personally, one way or the other, if he is or isn’t.

femailman

posted February 5, 2009 at 6:29 pm

Doesn’t the Bible say “judge and ye shall be judged”? So who are you to judge anyone? Besides whatever happened to separation of church and state? Isn’t that why our forefathers escaped England and its religious and other persecutions? Give him a chance after all look what we put up with for the last 8 years. By now we should be able to tolerate anything. We have only to go up…..

guenstiges hotel niederlande

posted May 5, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Round Spend,have comment desire future door common language brain here emerge flower of contact reading standard observe next decision follow nose performance range credit wash actual hair survey southern how atmosphere public start hit assessment pocket function hard he terrible create occasion domestic new look or desire deny move car hell during assess spring dog society open appeal successful upon opposition upper standard town sit accompany someone what understanding financial lose personal much welcome exchange secretary index role take poor radio teacher unless head performance always this district fruit sufficient bottle notice fall some