Progressive Revival

Progressive Revival

Join Us in Responding to Dobson 2012 Letter

posted by Mara Vanderslice

Respond to Focus on the Family Action “Letter from 2012 in Obama’s America”

James Dobson is promoting a Letter from 2012 purporting to offer a vision after four years of an Obama
administration. This letter, filled with doomsday projections, is
fearmongering of the worst kind – a sensationalist fiction with almost
no basis in reality.

How does it
reflect on our Christian witness in the world to see self-described
Christian leaders engage in such blatant fearmongering in order to
influence a political race?  When Americans read Dobson’s letter, do you
think they’ll come away thinking better of Christianity – or worse?

James
Dobson should hear from those in the faith community that find this
tactic appalling. Please tell James Dobson and Focus on the Family how
you feel.

As Christians we have been
choosing hope over fear for 2000 years. Our public witness should
reflect our deepest hopes, not provoke unfounded fears.

We’ve
set up a form that will allow you to send an email message to Focus on the
Family’s Citizen Link email address.  Send in your response today!

Sherry

posted October 27, 2008 at 12:00 pm

I am glad to send a message to FOTF decrying this horrible stunt. And I will do it.
My husband and I have attempted to contact them over the years with various questions and concerns.
Is it true that they are known for not responding to those they consider detractors?
And not only not responding but actually referring to us as “of the enemy” and not “truly Christian.”
My God have mercy on us all.

Judi Hughes

posted October 27, 2008 at 3:05 pm

WOW! I have NEVER, NEVER read something SO SKEWED!! Talk about a worse case scenario. Nothing like taking the worst case scenario and running with it. I was under the impression that the American Government operates under a system of checks and balances, and that no matter which party holds the majority in Congress, the President has not been able to “steamroll” his agenda in each and every area. I think this is one of the worse cases of enciting panic I have ever read. I am sorely disappointed in Dr. Dobson, and while I strongly believe in the power of free speech, I think this is an extreme measure. Many people who are not that well informed will just follow along with Dr. Dobson’s panic-mongering.
Perhaps Dr. Dobson should stick to what he does best – help parents to raise well-behaved children, and keep his opinions about politics to himself.

Becky Day

posted October 27, 2008 at 3:56 pm

I have a time with some of the comments made here against James Dobson. Why should he not be allowed to express his opinions? I must agree with Dobson. It states very clearly what is written in the Book Of Revelations what is to come.
I have a strong feeling each of you are Pro Obama, which is fine, but those of us who are believers of everything in the Bible, can understand what Dobson has written. I firmly believe that the year 2012 will prove just how evil Obama is.

James Gilmore

posted October 27, 2008 at 4:54 pm

Ms. Day:
Please point me to a single post on this site that suggests that Dobson does not enjoy the right to express his opinions. Criticizing his opinions – which are based on either (a) what can only be described as delusional paranoia or (b) an astoundingly cynical and charlatan-esque attitude in attempting to scare voters away from Sen. Obama – is in no way similar to suggesting that he does not have the right to air them. In fact, it is a celebration of his right – the overcoming of ridiculous, false, sensationalistic, fearmongering speech not with censorship or coercion, but with positive, edifying, hopeful, and truthful speech.
I’m also quite familiar with the Bible, yet I don’t recall a single passage in Revelation that “very clearly” (your words) foretells the disbanding of the Boy Scouts; could you please find it for me?

Aimie Gillett

posted October 27, 2008 at 6:35 pm

Dobson is a judgmental, self righteous religious, embarrassment to our beliefs of love and restoration in Christ. For all we know he hates gays so much because he has gone the way of Ted Haggard and is in an affair right now. haha. Idiot.
I say we stop worrying about the election, and trust that whoever wins ultimately was put there by our Lord.

Julie

posted October 27, 2008 at 7:17 pm

I pray for Dobson’s sad soul. The entire letter is Republican Talking Points that contain false information.
Where is his outrage over an unjust war that was against the teachings of Christ? A war based on lies. Dobson wants more war.
There were no words from Jesus about homosexuality. I have read several Christian scholars that interpret the few passages in the Bible that have been interpreted to be about homosexuality. The scholars discussed the issue in relationship to the period when the Bible was written.
Jesus taught us by example to love your neighbor as yourself.
If God is all powerful, why are people born with body parts of both sexes? There is too much scientific evidence that for most homosexuals it is not a choice.
I believe on judgment day, Dobson will be asked why he was extremely hateful toward homosexuals that are also God’s children.
I was shocked by Dobson’s statement about Taxes and the Poor. Where is his concern for God’s struggling working class. He distorts the fact that the people pay social security and medicare. The small extra in taxes could make the difference in staying in their home or going to the dentist.
I have yet to see anything from Dobson or McCain/Palin about “the least of these.”
Very sad.

Jeremiah Wright

posted October 27, 2008 at 11:10 pm

So Dobson can’t even have an opinion about a hypothetical future?
Good grief. It’s bad enough that The One is shredding free speech rights before he’s even elected (i.e., jamming radio stations hosting Obama critics; threatening arrest for Obama critics in St. Louis; stealing votes via ACORN).
I would have THOUGHT that Belief Net wouldn’t want to post something so clearly against free speech rights.
What a shameful post.

TOMMY MORALES

posted October 28, 2008 at 10:14 am

IM A BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN AND IM PERPLEXED HOW CHRISTIAN LEADERS LIKE DR. DOBSON COULD WRITE LETTERS ON CERTAIN POLTICAL LEADERS BECAUSE OF THEIR BELIEFS JESUS SEPERATED CHURCH FROM GOV. READ YOUR SCRIPTURES YOU SHOULD KNOW THEM BETTER THAN ME IM VERY UPSET AT THESE CHRISTIAN LEADERS GETTING INVOLVED IN POLITICS ITS DISGUSTING LOOK AT THE SHAPE OF OUR COUNTRY NOW ARE YOU TELLING ME ITS GREAT UNDER REP. PLEASE DONT INSULT THE INTELLIGENCE OF THE PEOPLE WE ALREADY LIVED WITH THE FEAR THE REP. PARTY WITH BUSH HAVE PUT ON THE PEOPLE CONCERNING TERROISM LOOK HOW THE WORLD SEES US AS WAR MONGERS WHAT DID JESUS SAY BLESSED ARE THE PEACE MAKERS FOR THEY SHALL BE CALLED SONS OF GOD ALL IVE SEEN IS CHRISTIAN BASHING OBAMA LIKE ALL REP. ARE PERFECT PLEASE FOR ALL HAVE SIN AND FALL SHORT OF THE KINGDOM OF GOD AND I WILL VOTE FOR OBAMA ALL THESE MEN HAVE DIRT ON THEM IM AN EX MARINE AND A VIETNAM VET. ALSO DECORATED I LOVE MY COUNTRY PLEASE CHRISTIAN LEADERS DONT GET INVOLVED ITS MAKING US LOOK BAD DR. DOBSON I LOVE GOD ABOVE ALL IWOULD LIKE FOR YOU TO ANS. THIS E MAIL PERSONALLY BUT I KNOW YOU WONT DONT LET ME LOSE RESPECT FOR YOU LOVE TOMMY

Jean

posted October 28, 2008 at 12:13 pm

I am shocked and saddened that Belief.net would stoop to political debates. I do not need anyone on this site to help me decide how to vote. I have already made my decision. Please don’t ruin the site with this suff!!

Paul, seeking wisdom

posted October 28, 2008 at 12:48 pm

While Dr. Dobson is entitled to his biased opinion, I am entitled to mine. Dr. Dobson is trying to win the election for the Evangelical Right Wing Republicans with the same fear tactics of Chas. Rove.
It would be the same as if I wrote on my web site that McCain would suspend the constitution to declare war on Iran, turn over the energy policies to the Oil Industry and ship all manufacturing jobs to India, China and Mexico. As well as outlaw homosexuality. It makes about as much sense. Of course nothing I just wrote will happen, McCain is not that type of person. Dr. Dobson has become what McCain once called other Evangelical Leaders, an agent of intolerance.

Betty

posted October 28, 2008 at 2:07 pm

AS I READ THESE COMMENTS IT SADDENS MY SOUL. THE DIVISION BETWEEN CHRISTIANS HAS ALREADY STARTED. NO ONE CAN STOP HISTORY FROM REPEATING ITSELF. REMEMBER ROME, IT FELL FROM WITHIN.THE UNITED STATES IS NOT IN FUTURE END TIME PROPHECY. IT WILL BE A DIVIDED COUNTRY. POSSIBLY SEVERAL COUNTRIES. RUN BY FOREIGN LEADERS. AS FOR REV. DOBSON, HE HAS AS MUCH RIGHT TO EXPRESS HIS OPINION OF THE UPCOMING ELECTION JUST AS THE LEFT-WING HAS THE SAME RIGHT. IF BELIEFNET TAKES A STAND FOR JUST ONE CANDIDATE, THEN IT IS ABUSING FREE SPEECH OF THE OTHER SIDE. I BELIEVE NETWORKS,NEWS PAPERS AND OTHER MEDIAS SHOULD PRESENT FAIRLY BOTH SIDES OF THE OPINIONS. THEN LET THE PUBLIC VOTE THEIR CONSCIOUS. MR. AND MRS.JOHN-Q AMERICAN IS NOT AS DUMB AS THE PRIVATE OWED NETWORKS SEEM TO THINK THEY ARE. OOPS! I MEAN JACK-Q AMERICAN, I DON’T WANT OFFEND ANYONE.

Trisha

posted October 28, 2008 at 3:18 pm

We Christians would like all laws to dictate Christian values. However, when you begin to legislate Christian morality on all fronts, it soon becomes a slippery slope because it opens the door to other religions wanting laws passed to legislate their moral ideologies, too, as part of a country that was founded on freedom of religion. Playing this out, would we then dictate that peoples of all other religions leave this country if they won’t follow the moral laws of Christianity? God gave mankind free will to make their own choices, even if those choices are not God’s choices. To try to change that through legislated morality would be to play God. Personally, I wouldn’t want to face God’s wrath on that one.

Tim

posted October 28, 2008 at 4:14 pm

I want to commend Dr. Dobson for that letter. What a wakeup call. Would that we all pray about the possibilities of an Obama presidency and ask God to spare us from the “groaning” we would get under his leadership. I say BRAVO Dr. Dobson and keep up the good work!

skye graves

posted October 28, 2008 at 9:04 pm

this is hateful ignorance. what happened to not bearing false witness against your neighbor. this was the most extreme, slanderous and contradictory “article” (as if it was based on facts) that i have ever read. it doesn’t matter which candidate your pulling for here, this letter is plain hatred and is unacceptable in the christian community. i pray that our country can honor whoever is in the white house and honor each other by not imposing our opinions and becoming crusaders.
also, i would like to know where dobson gets the idea that all non christians have “bad” morals. why are the only issues discussed, gay marriage and abortion, what about murder? what about compassion and grace, equality and social justice, what about global warming and being good stewards of what god has given us? our world will not fall apart in 4 years, its impossible for all of those changes to occur in that amount of time.
jesus talked about compassion and grace. he gave us a “not a spirit of fear, but of power and love and of a sound mind” lets not taint our country with any more fear than we already have, lets start loving the “unlovable” lets start rubbing elbows with those we esteem least. lets do what jesus taught, and leave evil (hatred) out of our minds. whatever is noble and beautiful and pure, those things we should ponder. lets bring focus back on christ.
lord have mercy, christ have mercy, lord have mercy.

skye graves

posted October 28, 2008 at 9:14 pm

and by the way, im voting for obama.

Jennie

posted October 28, 2008 at 9:39 pm

Well, the last two weeks of every national election seems to bring out the wingnuttery from the losing party. It’s just sad that this time around, Mr. Dobson has decided to be apart of that group. If Obama even thought about doing a fraction of all that, he would be voted out in 2012. I think he knows this too.
I’m a follower of Christ and I’m over 40, so I don’t think I fit into the category of the “younger evangelical” Dobson was talking about. But I voted early for Obama because of his positions on the war, immigration, poverty, global warming, and alternative energy.

James Gilmore

posted October 28, 2008 at 11:27 pm

As I asked the poster above – please point out exactly where anyone suggests that Dobson does not have the right to speak about the election, or should face legal sanction for his speech.
Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from criticism. The fact that we call Dr. Dobson’s letter fearmongering, hateful, delusional, cynical, and rather ridiculous does not in any way indicate that we do not believe he has the right to publish it.
On the contrary, we celebrate his right to publish his hate and bigotry – because the same laws that protect his right to speak protect ours as well. We are exercising our right to free speech by calling out his charlatanism for what it is.

Jon

posted October 28, 2008 at 11:45 pm

I don’t believe that letter consisted of “fearmongering” at all. I posted it on my own site. Ideas have real consequences and Barack Obama’s ideas will have consequences that are not at all good. He seems to be a “nice guy” and talks about “spreading the wealth around;” but allowing lawlessness on the Supreme Court and in the federal courts by appointing judges who think the constitution means what they want it to mean (as opposed to what it actually means), stifling free speech (“fairness doctrine” “hate speech laws”), promoting a bigger federal government, and allowing the continued butchery of innocent unborn children are unacceptable in a President. I cannot and will not vote for him.

Roger Williams

posted October 29, 2008 at 12:41 pm

This is my focus – no matter which imperfect candidate is president, he will make errors that the history books will note. My focus is thankfulness that only God is really in control and his ways are perfect.
Top 10 Predictions No Matter Who Wins the Election
1. The Bible will still have all the answers.
2. Prayer will still work.
3. The Holy Spirit will still move.
4. God will still inhabit the praises of His people.
5. There will still be God-anointed teaching and preaching.
6. There will still be singing of praise to God.
7. God will still pour out blessings upon His people.
8. There will still be room at the Cross.
9. Jesus will still love you.
10. Jesus will still save the lost when they come to Him..
God has approved this message!
ISN’T IT GREAT TO KNOW WHO IS REALLY IN CHARGE…?

Roger Williams

posted October 29, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Top 10 Predictions No Matter Who Wins the Election
1. The Bible will still have all the answers.
2. Prayer will still work.
3. The Holy Spirit will still move.
4. God will still inhabit the praises of His people.
5. There will still be God-anointed teaching and preaching.
6. There will still be singing of praise to God.
7. God will still pour out blessings upon His people.
8. There will still be room at the Cross.
9. Jesus will still love you.
10. Jesus will still save the lost when they come to Him..
God has approved this message!
ISN’T IT GREAT TO KNOW WHO IS REALLY IN CHARGE…?

Corinne

posted October 29, 2008 at 2:23 pm

Anyone stopped to consider what it’ll be like if McCain is in office? It can’t be all glitter and glam with him…. just saying, if you’re gonna talk hypotheticals, then anything is possible… and actually, much more likely that McCain bites the dust and Palin becomes prez… which honestly, scares me more.

Norma Monroe

posted October 30, 2008 at 11:08 am

I would first like to say that I agree with Roger Williams. It seems to me that James Dobson has left God out of his equation. God still controls everything that goes on on the earth. Nothing takes him by surprise and his agenda supersedes everyone elses. While I don’t agree with all of Obama’s policies, I don’t think he is the indicator of doom. I don’t think it would matter to God who is the next president if his intent is to usher in the apacolypse. Furthermore, God has left Christians as change agents in the world. He said, “If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray, seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, THEN, will I hear from heaven and forgive their sins and heal their land.”

Jewel Mathias

posted October 30, 2008 at 11:56 am

This proves to me that Dobson is not a Christian. McCain,Palin have lied about and smeared Obama so much that now, if they made a true but negative charge against him, no one would believe it.

A Message In A Name

posted October 30, 2008 at 4:08 pm

Did you know that all names have hidden messages in them. The message depends on the person interacting with the name. Focus On The Family
Cross out a letter that corresponds with a word for example in the word Family cross out the y and the word yesterday in the message.
Their message.
Yesterday, Satan’s invisible organization used fear, lies, negativism on Americans to help energize McCain’s failing campaign.

Gayle Wilson

posted November 7, 2008 at 7:46 pm

In all the countries over all the centuries, God has only been able to really work in America when a republican is in power? The hubris of many Americans and especially the Christian right is stunning. The schadenfreude in this letter is beyond the pale. Dobson single-handedly hurt parachurch efforts in China in the 90s. He wouldn’t even ‘grant an audience’ to the Ted Engstroms of the world who were attempting to give him a different perspective. This man is in millstone territory in my opinion. Check out Proverbs 21:1: The king’s heart is in the hand of the LORD; he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases.