Progressive Revival

Progressive Revival

“2012” Letter incites backlash against Focus on the Family

posted by Mara Vanderslice

The Letter from 2012 in “Obama’s America” issued by Focus on the Family Action, describing a dystopian world under an Obama Presidency, has begun to incite a backlash against Focus on the Family.

Check out the reactions from readers at Christianity Today.  Some of the responses from fellow Christians to the 2012 letter include:

“Focus on the Family —All we have to offer is fear itself!!! Very Christlike of them. What utter insanity.”

“This kind of propaganda is ridiculous. No one thinks that any of this
is going to happen, let alone all of it. I just can’t understand how
any Christian can think that this type of false witness is acceptable.”

“Disgusting and appalling. The whole thing reeks of desperation and
perpetrates fear. Nowhere does it contain any Christian witness or any
evidence of any fruits of the spirit.”

“I am so disappointed and bewildered that FOTF could consider this a
Christ-like way to express their political opinions. Doesn’t the Bible
say ‘perfect love casts out all fear’ and ‘fear not, for I have
overcome the world!’ I’ve supported FOTF for decades but this is the
second shot of fear tactics and spreading of lies and gossip by their
Action arm of the organization and I can’t in good conscience give any
of my money or time to them again.”

This Open Letter to Focus on the Family Action was sent to us at Matthew 25 from a Christian evangelical
who works at a non-profit organization with the request that we post it for him anonymously.

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,

For a generation, you have courageously stood on the front lines in
support of Christian family values.  I have long admired your work to
provide common-sense education and encouragement for families.  Dr.
Dobson’s influential books, such as “The Strong-Willed Child,” have given
hope and solace to millions of parents facing the challenges of raising
children.

In John’s first epistle, he exhorts Christ followers to love as Christ
first loved us.  This love offers hope in the midst of any circumstance.
“There is no fear in love.  Perfect love casts out fear.”

My brothers and sisters, this is no time for fear.  Barack Obama is not
the bogeyman you’ve made him out to be.  To the contrary, Senator Obama is
a thoroughly Christian man who has a personal relationship with Jesus
Christ.  He is less interested in reducing abortion through fiat than
reducing abortion through smart interventions that provide education,
support, and hope for expectant mothers.

We have spent hundreds of millions of dollars fighting the same old
zero-sum game – a game that pits Christians against the same Constitution
that guarantees their civil rights and religious liberties.  Let me be
clear: overturning Roe v. Wade would decrease freedom and liberty for all
Americans, including Christians.  The same justices who supported
overturning Roe have also supported allowing torture, and have turned a
blind eye to abuses of power by state and local governments.  These same
justices also support the use of capital punishment – taking the lives of
men and women like Karla Faye Tucker – and in this way they are obviously
opposed to a culture that holds the right to life as sacred.

Being pro-life means respecting all life, not just the unborn.

Being committed to liberty means liberty for all Americans, not just those
with whom we agree.

The issues of gay marriage and abortion are issues that cannot be resolved
through political action.  They have not been resolved and they have not
gone away, in spite of a generation of Christian leaders who have
politicized these issues and played on the fears and prejudices of their
fellow believers.

Perfect love casts out fear.

Let us seek to perfect our love for Barack Obama and for all our fellow
Americans.  We have real and serious disagreements.  But fearmongering and
doomsday projections are not the way to resolve these disagreements.

God’s grace and peace be with you.

I am so relieved to see Christians reject this kind of fear-mongering out of hand.  This is a hopeful sign, not only for the political conversation in the United States, but also for the witness of the church.

Asinus Gravis

posted October 26, 2008 at 9:58 pm

It has been clear for some considerable time now that there is little of the teachings of Jesus, or the spirit of Jesus in the operations of Focus on The Family Action (the political arm of Focus on the Family). It is not a Christian organization in any coherent sense of the word. It is an extreme right-wing Republican organization.
As the commentators from “Christianity Today” clearly indicate this political ploy is one of desperation calculated to generate groundless fear in those who are still paying attention to FOFA. Now if only the leadership of FOFA has any sense of shame.

ds0490

posted October 26, 2008 at 11:11 pm

Christians like these having a sense of shame? LOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOL Take a look at your own Michele McGinty. She jumped all over the story about the McCain supporter who was supposedly attacked and had a “B” carved in her cheek. She was ready, willing and able to blame Obama supporters for this.
blog.beliefnet.com/reformedchicksblabbing/2008/10/obama-supporter-carves-a-b-on.html

fran

posted October 26, 2008 at 11:17 pm

I can’t believe this political “Christian” slosh,junk, fear mongering,hateful trash that comes from a Dr. Dobson group. Count me out of this particular ” Christian” community.
From,
A christian who professes the gospel of love and the “audacity of hope.”

Gray

posted October 27, 2008 at 1:05 am

I’m not a Christian, and so read this more out of curiosity, and I thank those who have written to say that they violently disagree with Dobson and his ilk.
As a queer person (who also raises children), what occurs to me is that what Dobson predicts is, oddly enough, what he and his ilk have sought to do to those of us who are gay. (Gays seem to be the object of his fury.) Indeed, much of what Dobson “Predicts” – censorship, attempting to prevent people from teaching their views to their own children, people not able to find jobs because of who they are – are things that actually have been done to the LGBTQ community.
Anyway, thanks for putting some sanity back –

Rafael Vazquez

posted October 27, 2008 at 2:36 am

There has to be something wrong with a person that calls him/herself a Christian, whose choice to elect a candidate, is to help them save a few bucks at the pump over, the life of the unborn. The killing of innocent life, for any reason, is against the Biblical teachings from Jesus himself. He knows this business very well, He was sought by Herod for death also. So the idea of these so called christians to quote scripture, speak of love, and to defend the “witness of the church” but condenms (FOTF) for defending those who cann’t defend themselves, is grossly hipocritical. “What Witness” are we talking about? Because of this divide in the body over “Whats in it for me” The church has lost its witness before the eyes of the world and has become just like they are. Any Christian who choses Senator Obama’s policy of “Death” over Jesus’ policy of life “I have come to give you life and life more abundantly” is an attempt to “SPIN JESUS POLITICALLY” as to say “You have no say so in our human affairs”. No Can Do! Jeremiah. 17:9 (That’s the prophet) said; The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? Who are really the desperate ones here? When the wicked rule the people suffer, and if America choses poorly, then the land I love deserves to reap what it sows He that is unjust, let him be unjust still: and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still: and he that is righteous, let him be righteous still: and he that is holy, let him be holy still. Rev. 22:11 We are either one or the other but we cannot be both.

Stephen

posted October 27, 2008 at 7:03 am

I have a few questions for you and they are based on this one fact, you read the Bible for yourself and follow God’s word not man:
How long will our Religious leaders continue to allow racisim to divide their churches? Why don’t our Religious leaders with the large churches and congreations take their followers to the streets to fight the many injustices that face those in our Nation? Could it be because it is easier to act like the Pharisees would than as Jesus would act? How long will some of our Religious leaders like Dr. Jame Dobson continue to respond like the Pharisees? And how long will you continue to support his teachings and his words that do not align with the word of God? Please continue to pray for our Religious Leaders, many of them look and sound to much like the Pharisees.

rick hitchcock

posted October 27, 2008 at 9:50 am

Redistribution of wealth is at the heart of parttime senator’s ideologe.
I have owned and managed a small company for thirty-five years and I have found it’s hard enough to make payroll ,pay vendors and treat my neighbors as I myself would like to be treated with out some one taking what little the government leaves me to do as they see fit.
If you would like to see a country that is the most generous in the world change into the rest of the worlds model of, me first go ahead and vote for this redistribution of wealth. There is a reason Mr. Redistribution of wealth that the courts of our United States have not become involved in the redistribution, always before they have at least tried to hold up to the Constitution.It doesn’t mention this idea at all ,but it also never even gives the vagues hint that the document id open to interpetation?
I also can not help any one who believes in State sanctioned murder to an elected office. Only God has the right to decide who lives and dies. If one see’s it differently and in any way helps with the slaughter of the defenseless, well why it only infuriates me, God will deal with those in his time.I realize that God Laws can seem cruel when you are on the wrong side ,he didn’t give any one of us the right to interpet is laws either.

maryfg

posted October 27, 2008 at 10:22 am

I am a pro-life supporter, but I do not agree with the tactics of FOTF to instill fear. Jesus in many of his teachings stated “Love thy neighbor as thyself”, and “that which you want man to do to you, do also to them.” Give non-judgemental love and understanding, and you shall receive that which is given.
May God Bless each and everyone of you, regardless of what you believe or who you vote for.

ExFeminist

posted October 27, 2008 at 11:37 am

The church should be anti-abortion and anti-racism. We are to stand for God’s truth in love. It means standing against the sexual revolution, which has destroyed the moral fabric of society. It means risking our lives to help the poor and the needy no matter what the cost. It means personal and societal holiness. This society is already morally gone and the church needs to stand up like it has during the times of Nero or Hitler or Stalin – and I think we are going to face tremendous persecution. It takes tremendous strength and faith to stand up to people who hate everything you stand for. Besides standing for life, I think we should forget our possessions and stand for the poor. Our hope is not here, but in a better place…

Julie

posted October 27, 2008 at 10:20 pm

How many more years are voters going to be fooled by the Republican promises to end abortion?
Reagan and George W Bush flip-flopped from their pro-choice governor stance to campaign for President promising a Constitutional Amendment. Once elected neither made any effort to keep their promise.
McCain also flip-flopped on Roe v. Wade after losing the primary to Bush. Now he is pandering to Evangelicals. McCain’s selection of Palin was a major pandering to Evangelicals. Apparently Dobson has not been listening to the double talk from McCain & Palin about making abortion a state decision. Why not a federal law if he is serious?
Dobson’s letter contained the same McCain campaign talking points smear that McCain’s surrogates have been pushing for months.
I could not believe Dobson’s statement about Obama’s tax plan for the lowest earners being welfare. He repeated the McCain false statement that the lowest 40% already pay no taxes.
All “supposed” Christians will face judgment for discriminating against homosexuals, who are also God’s children. There is too much scientific evidence that homosexuality is not a choice for most homosexuals. Jesus taught loving your neighbor.
Dobson’s wants more unjust wars that are against the teachings of Christ. Bush’s church told him starting a war in Iraq was unjust and against the of Christ. The told him United Methodist do not torture. Where was Dobson?
Please pray for Dobson

Scruffy

posted October 28, 2008 at 1:11 pm

I am a retired mailman who lives on a $24,000 a year pension and pay 100% of my Medical Insurance. John McCain want to tax that insurance. Even if I earned 10 times the amount of my pension, I would not have to pay a tax increase under Obama, if fact I would not pay any tax under his plan.
If I had not been a beneficiary of an inheritance, I would not have been able to pay off my house loan and I would have had to work another ten years. I was lucky, but what of all those people who worked for twenty years on the same job and lost it because John McCain thinks that the free trade market place is good for America.
I am pro life, I agree with the ideals of a nation that does not have abortion on demand. But that is not enough. We need a nation that will protect the living as well as the unborn. Romans tell us to, “Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good. Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.” (Romans 12:9-10) Dr. Dobson should practice what he professes to believe. Then he will once again serve the Lord and not the GOP.

recovering ex-Pentecostal

posted October 28, 2008 at 1:25 pm

I, for one, hope Mr.Dobson continues his ludicrous, hate-filled rants. It drives thinking people away from the ‘right’ and into the light. Certainly I see nothing Christ’s message in most of what Mr. Dobson says.

Tori

posted October 29, 2008 at 10:36 am

I’m sorry to say that it is rants like this one that have pushed me towards the Democratic party over the years and away from the GOP. I don’t believe that Jesus would ever choose to operate from a place of fear and speculation. Indeed, He operated outside the realm of the political, often eluding authorities and choosing to heal and work other miracles against the wishes of the powers that be. I’m not saying we shouldn’t take an interest in politics, but I am saying that our hope does not lie in the White House. Our hope lies in Jesus. If we pin our hopes for change on a worldly leader, he will fail us. But Jesus never fails and His kingdom is eternal. Change doesn’t come from politics or bills or press releases, change comes from the Holy Spirit working in our hearts. Let’s stop hate-mongering and start loving like Jesus taught us. We should be focusing on health care, social services and issues that affect the disenfranchised among us. The divisiveness must stop. What are we afraid of? Are we so insecure in our own beliefs that we can’t love those who believe differently than we do? Jesus did. Most people He came into contact with had no idea what He really believed or thought. They were drawn to His light. Let’s light up our world.

Jon Trott from Chicago, Illinois

posted October 29, 2008 at 12:35 pm

This started off as me reading about Dobson’s take on Barack Obama. But it ended with me angry over his treatment of gays. I am trying hard to live in a biblical space regarding homosexuality. I believe Scripture does place homosexual acts (as opposed to temptation / orientation) outside the pale of right Christian behavior. Yet at the same time, I am commanded to love my neighbor.
What I think Dobson has done, is doing with this letter, and apparently will continue to do is to abuse self-identified gay people. And he has done so using the exact approach once used against women militating for the vote and blacks working for their civil rights. He has identified the “other” as the enemy.
Not least in this shrill bit of rightist propaganda is the conflation of two totally different sexual issues: homosexuality vs. pederasty. Homosexuals are no more likely to molest children than are their heterosexual counterparts. The entirety of the “Boy Scout” bit in this “pretend prophecy” is vile, cruel, and unloving in the most strictly Scriptural sense. There is so much else to loath about that letter, but for this one point alone I personally have moved from upset with Dobson to an anti-Focus on the Family activist. We cannot allow these cruel individuals and ministries to continue representing us to a watching world, much less our non-believing neighbors… some of who are gay!
We are required to bear witness to biblical ideals regarding sexuality, whether addressing homosexuality or America’s norms re heterosexuality. But doing so, with great care and meekness and humility while admitting we too struggle with sexuality, is far different than Dr. Dobson’s shrill, illogical, and immoral (yes indeed!) attack on our neighbors. I personally repudiate Dr. Dobson or Focus on the Family as representing the Christian Faith I believe in.

beth

posted October 30, 2008 at 1:44 pm

It astounds me that so many Christians continue to blindly support the Republican party out of concern for the unborn. For the first 6 years of the Bush presidency, the Republicans controlled both houses of Congress. Yet there was no attempt to curtail abortion. They have no intention of doing anything about abortion. They are just using this issue so Christians will continue to vote Republican in the fond hope that some day a Republican will follow through on a promise. There is nothing “pro-life” about these neo-cons. Whatever the “war du jour” is, they will always be in favor of it. Health care for the working poor? Forget it. Save the fetus, but let the baby die because his parents can’t afford health care.
And what about the ridiculous “Christian” claim that gay people are a “threat to traditional marriage”? Adultery and divorce are threats to heterosexual marriages. I don’t care one whit what the gay couple down the block is doing. It doesn’t threaten my marriage at all… Jesus spoke at length against adultery and divorce, but never once mentioned homosexuality.

A Message In A Name

posted October 30, 2008 at 8:30 pm

A Message In A Name
Focus On The Family
Yesterday, Satan’s invisible organization used fear, lies, negativism on Americans to help energize McCain’s failing Campaign.
Cross out a letter of the name for example cross out the y in family and the word yesterday in the message. Keep doing this until all letters and words are crossed out and see the result.

Jacob Arminius

posted October 31, 2008 at 5:32 pm

It amazes me that people bash the “2012” letter but no one is addressing it line by line. Why not address the concerns of the letter that millions of Americans agree with instead of bashing and name calling? Hypocrites – address the issues in the letter. Use it as a means of discussion – cowards

A Message In A Name

posted November 1, 2008 at 1:02 pm

Based on the Letter from 2012 it is clear that an invisible demonic force is in play with Focus on the family. Maybe you should read the scriptures below that apply directly to Letter from 2012!!
Ephesians 4:17 “This, therefore, I say and bear witness to in the Lord, that you no longer go on walking just as the nations also walk in the unprofitableness of their minds, while they are in darkness mentally, and alienated from the life that belongs to God, because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the insensibility of their hearts” Revelation 18:4 And I heard another voice out of heaven say “Get out of her, my people if you do not want to share with her in her sins, and if you do not want to receive part of her plagues. For her sins have massed together clear up to heaven and God has called her acts of injustice to mind.”

Meghan

posted November 5, 2008 at 12:45 am

The 2012 letter is right on target. The reason ‘Christians” are saying it’s “fear mongering” is because they themselves are deceived. Y’all just wait and see what happens now that Obama is going to be president. You will get change, that’s for sure! It just won’t be the change you expected. In 2012, look back at that letter. It may not all have taken place, but you will definitely see huge steps taken in that direction! Wake up people. We will soon be called the United States of Europe because that’s exactly how Europe is today, and we are headed that way! The Lord will be back soon for His TRUE followers. Not the “kumbaya” crowd who only stands for ‘peace’ for “all religions” etc… The Bible is clear that homosexuality is wrong, it’s a shame that “Christians” today actually think gay people get to heaven. Anyway, just another sign of the times!

Kate

posted November 6, 2008 at 9:52 am

Beth, I couldn’t agree more. It’s amazing how they cannot see this.
Fear or love. Every thing is driven by one of these two emotions…more fear than love. This letter is ridiculous. Let the issues stand for themselves. Let people decide for themselves based on the facts…not emotion.

Lisa Hyman

posted November 6, 2008 at 11:38 pm

It’s comments like Meghan’s that truly make me question my Christianity. Meghan, I will assume you don’t know any gay people. I have identical twin gay cousins who knew they were different by the time they were 8-which I’m sure you will agree, is entirely too young to “choose”. One of them cried to me about 20 years ago, “Why would anyone choose to be gay? There is nothing easy about this lifestyle. I had to break my mother’s heart, etc.” For you to take on the role of God and actually say that gay people won’t make it into heaven makes me wonder what kind of Christ-follower you are. Jesus taught tolerance, he taught peace, and he forgave people who committed horrible crimes. It is not up to us to judge ANYONE. And everyone, according to God, is worthy of forgiveness. Statements such as the one you made are born out of fear and ignorance, because it really shouldn’t matter to you what anyone does behind closed doors–it’s between them and God alone. Hmmm…who said this quote? “Love each other as I have loved you.” I think you may have forgotten that one.

Heather

posted November 8, 2008 at 11:07 am

To Meghan: It is also a shame that many “Christians” are deceived to think that homosexuality is a worse sin than their own sins like covetousness (the 10th commandment) for example. Or what about the works of the flesh that Galatians 5 lists as the things that will keep people from inheriting the Kingdom (not heaven – but that’s a whole other story)? How many “Christians” have spoken evil of our president-elect — when your Bible clearly tells you that is wrong???
Ezekiel 16:49 says, “Look, this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: She and her daughter had pride, fullness of food, and abundance of idleness; neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.” Sodom and Gomorrah weren’t destroyed because of homosexuals. How many “Christians” does this verse apply to? How many obese Christians are there? How many American Christians take more pride in being America than anything? How many “Christians” are just as idle as the rest of the world by watching movies, sports, etc. and only help the poor out of their abundance and could do far more?
Please stop shaming Jesus’ name by picking on gay people when there could be a log in your own eye.

Karl

posted November 11, 2008 at 3:20 am

anonymous source = no credibility = no time or consideration from me.

Joann

posted January 12, 2009 at 8:56 pm

Fear-mongering among Christians has got to stop. It accomplishes nothing except greed for power and control and the alienation of those we are trying to reach out to. Just because Barack Obama is a Pro-Choice Liberal Democrat, it doesn’t mean he will be bad for our country. In my opinion, Mr. Obama is a better choice for the Oval Office than Bush, McCain, or any other Republican I know, mostly because of his common-sense approach to government and his willingness and desire to be both honest and straightforward concerning the issues we face today. And anyway, I kind of like the idea of calling myself Anti-Choice or Pro-Fetus rather than Pro-Life, since most conservative Republicans support the death penalty, which, in fact, does seem to contradict the entire meaning of “Pro-Life.”

Your Name

posted January 16, 2009 at 11:22 am

OK… So I am trying to think WWJD here. I am a 20 yr old African -American preachers kid that is adopted, and a lesbian. I love my family and my faith and I know that God loves me too. Megan… It hurts my heart, quite literally, to read you spew such hatred on homosexuals. Yes I love a women. Yes one day I would love to give some hurt or wounded child, who needs a home the same chance my parents gave me. And yes, me and God talk at least once a day. I think sometimes, people forget that gay people are just that,… PEOPLE. We bleed, laugh, cry, love, hurt, fight, read, smell flowers, pray, read books, write poetry, and everyday we feel the opinions of others, at the very least, in our lives everyday. And I am more then astonished to find out FOTF wrote this… I grew up watching their movies and reading their books! It’s like mister Rogers just gave me a swift kick in the gut… It’s a shame that something that used to comfort you as a child can publish such… cruel and completely evil literature(if you can call it that). I am saddened and frankly… I will pray for everyone that agrees with this… “LETTER FROM THE FUTURE” I truly thank all of you that fought on people like me’s behalf. God Bless you.

melonie

posted June 24, 2009 at 8:00 am

A nation that forgets GOD turns into hell. THis is taken from Psalms. How many times did Israel take into it’s country the abominations against the LORD. and what was the result. Listen folks, I read that letter and to me it is a wake up call. As the church we need to take a stand on issues that hurt GOD’s heart, like abortion, same sex marriage (no I don’t hate gay people, but I do not tolerate their lifestyle it is not GOD’s natural intention it is a choice and if you were young and felt different remember the sins of the father are pasted down the generations so if it runs in the family ..this is a spiritual principal)and all of the other things going on here. Is GOD not a righteous judge, a loving GOD , yes HE is but HE has set laws and prinicipals and HE can not go against them. Meaning for example , if a parent makes rules and constantly and inconsistently follows them what happens to the child? Any and everything …But if rules are enforced and the child is disciplined then according to the Bible their days will be long. Now I know we are not under the law and under grace , but that does not give excuse to sin folks. WE AS THE CHURCH need to stand up and speak up over all of those issues in that letter, or just sign over the title deed to this nation to the devil and let him run the country and see how we like living under Pharoah, cause that is what will happen if we don’t wake up. Read Kings and Judges and compare to what is happening now if we don’t repent and turn and fast and cry out , what happens to this nation will be on our shoulders.

DrDee

posted November 18, 2010 at 5:44 pm

anonymous source = no credibility = no time or consideration from me.
Part of the problem
Read more: http://blog.beliefnet.com/progressiverevival/2008/10/2012-letter-incites-backlash-a.html#ixzz15g12aPeI