Progressive Revival

Progressive Revival

More high jinks from those jokesters on the Religious Right…

posted by David Gibson

This time the hilarity is from Stuart Shepard, correspondent for the Focus on the Family network (that’s run by that guy, whatsiname, who said he’d never ever endorse McCain–ecxept he might), who muses on bothering God about prayers for some biblical rains to wash away Obama’s convention speech in Denver this month. After all, he says, what’s a little rain when the institution of marriage and millions of unborn lives are at stake? It’s a laugh a minute. Check it out!

(Via the RNS blog.)

Mel

posted August 4, 2008 at 6:30 pm

David Gibson: “It’s a laugh a minute. Check it out.”
You’re right! It is pretty funny. I was laughing through the whole thing.
However, don’t worry about Stuart Shepard’s influence. Who needs him to encourage Christians to pray for rain at Obama’s preposterous and pretentious — and, dare I say it, “messianic” — attempt to give his acceptance speech in the outdoors?
Folks like me have been praying for rain that night ever since we heard about it. It would serve Obama right for thinking that the rules of nature don’t apply to him. Honestly, who does he think he is?

ds0490

posted August 4, 2008 at 7:10 pm

The religious reich had best be careful what they pray for. When they prayed for something in the political realm, it was for God to intervene and change the Supreme Court. God promptly called home conservative Chief Justice Rehnquist. They they prayed for God to intervene and remove the false teachers from churches. God promptly took home Jerry Falwell and D. James Kennedy.
I wonder if they will get the clue that God really isn’t on their side?

Mel

posted August 4, 2008 at 8:30 pm

ds0490:
What makes you think only conservatives will be wishing for a little “rain on Barack’s parade” ? I think all Americans — left and right — find this man and his pretensions legitimate material for ridicule.
Just ask the folks at Saturday Night Live … or Jon Stewart at Comedy Central. Nobody can accuse them of being religious or conservative, and they think Obama is a joke.

pagansister

posted August 4, 2008 at 8:53 pm

That whole thing was a waste of time and space. If I believed in “prayer” and the whole asking a god for stuff, I certainly would “pray” for this guy. I’d pray he and FOTF believers don’t get anything they want. We’ve had a conservative, born-again dude in the White House for way to long…and this counry has been paying for it…with the soldiers killed and wounded (for life) in Iraq, a war that was started by that born-again fellow for no reason, plus financial cost to this nation of that war, messing with reproductive rights of women and I could go on and on.
The only thing I “pray” for is that there isn’t another “W” in the “W” White House.

ds0490

posted August 5, 2008 at 12:39 am

Pretentious…do you mean like this?
wonkette.com/401576/uppity-john-mccain-calls-himself-president
I think we know were that pretentious argument is coming from, Mel. You and your ilk just don’t have the guts to use the word you really want to use: uppity.
And yes, the late night folks are having a field day with Obama jokes.
politicalhumor.about.com/library/bldailyfeed3.htm
“And as you know, the McCain campaign is running that commercial where they’re comparing Barack Obama to various Hollywood celebrities. And as you know, if there’s one thing the Republicans will not stand for, it’s electing some Hollywood celebrity to public office. Except for Ronald Reagan, Fred Thompson, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Clint Eastwood — you know, except for those.” –Jay Leno
“And I guess the McCain campaign has a new theme song, it’s by Ludacris. Did you hear this? Well, I guess the new song by rapper Ludacris is causing some controversy for Barack Obama, everybody’s trying to help and it doesn’t help, because it attacks Hillary and Bush and John McCain in a very distasteful way. Yeah. In fact when John McCain heard that Obama had Ludacris on his iPod, he was stunned, he said ‘What’s an iPod’?” –Jay Leno
“Demeaning Obama is not why this is a dick move by McCain. It’s a dick move by McCain because one of the fine young ladies featured in this ad (on screen: photo of Paris Hilton)…her parents, the Hiltons, contributed $4,600, the maximum you can contribute, to the campaign of none other than John McCain. John McCain is saying to the Hiltons, ‘I thank you kindly for your support. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go take a nationally televised dump on your daughter.’” –Jon Stewart, on McCain’s attack ad comparing Obama to Paris Hilton and Britney Spears
And last week was all about Barack Obama, and his unbelievable trip overseas, traveling two continents, dazzling millions of people who come November, can in no way vote for him. But — John McCain had his own exotic adventure [on screen: McCain saying, 'I had the opportunity of having lunch at Schmidt's Sausage House']. And everyone knows, as goes Schmidt’s Sausage House, so goes the Hassenpfeffer Schnitzel Hut.” –Jon Stewart
Yes, Mel…they are having a field day with Obama on late night TV.

clasqm

posted August 5, 2008 at 9:58 am

So it rains. He’s still the nominee, right? Or does nominee-hood depend on an acceptance speech?

sports.mike

posted August 5, 2008 at 10:49 am

Funny.
But what an idiot.
Typical Dodson stuff.

pam

posted August 5, 2008 at 12:13 pm

This guys an idiot.

James

posted August 5, 2008 at 12:18 pm

The only thing that is a joke is your mentality. Obama is our hope for change, and if you don’t want change at this point, you are obviously living in a bubble.
As far as the video….isn’t gluttony one of the 7 deadly sins? I’ve never said I was black, but sometimes I wish I could say I wasn’t white, and this guy in the video is the reason.
Fat, rich and white. I wonder if this guy has ever had to worry about being fired, or even killed for what he looks like or who he loves?
You ignorance exudes!
Hate is caused by fear, fear is from the unknown, the unknown is a product of ignorance and ignorance is bliss. Please educate yourself!

Rob

posted August 5, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Whaddaya say we all get together and pray an asteroid hits Colorado Springs and sends Dobson and his ilk to see their Lord? Heaven’s supposed to be a wonderful place, so we’d only be asking God to bless them. And the dust might keep Obama indoors, too.

recovering ex-Pentecostal

posted August 5, 2008 at 4:58 pm

Why is it that Let’s Focus on SOME (hint, hint) People’s ‘Families’ think that smarm = charm?
As for that hoped for, prayed for torrential rain, what a fantastic scheme – if they do get weather disasters, they can then blame it on gays. Worked for Falsewell and Robertson.

recovering ex-Pentecostal

posted August 5, 2008 at 5:01 pm

I wonder if they’re gonna ‘focus’ on McCain’s nasty divorce, adultery and re-marriage? Some “fambly values” folks. Not. Selective, at best.

Bob

posted August 11, 2008 at 11:50 pm

How unfortunate for the immature followers of Christ to be misinformed by the partisan sentiment behind the “boyish humor”. I believe in the power of answered prayer. It is why I am continuosly praying that God will not only remove (by whatever means HE deems appropriate) those who are morally corrupted and corrupting, not only from the highest positions of government but especially from church leadership. Do Christians really believe spiritual wickedness in high places refers only to the secular world? Hypocrisy is the most cherished sin within the church and the most effective tool for driving people from seeking God. Don’t forget about the lesson behind “a wolf in sheep’s clothing” as well as “wheat and tares”!

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Progressive Revival. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Faith, Media and Culture Prayer, Plain and Simple Happy Blogging!!!

posted 2:50:10pm Aug. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Why Jews Around the World are Praying for the Victory of the Egyptian Uprising
Originally appeared on Tikkun Daily BlogEver since the victory over the dictator of Tunisia and the subsequent uprising in Egypt, my email has been flooded with messages from Jews around the world hoping and praying for the victory of the Egyptian people over their cruel Mubarak regime.&nb

posted 1:48:39pm Feb. 01, 2011 | read full post »

When Generosity, Love, and Kindness are Public Policy, the Violence We Saw in Arizona will Dramatically Diminish
The attempted assassination of Congresswoman Giffords and the murder of so many others in Arizona has elicited a number of policy suggestions, from gun control to private protection for elected officials, to banning incitement to violence on websites either directly or more subtly (e.g., Sarah Palin

posted 2:44:04pm Jan. 19, 2011 | read full post »

The Spiritual Messages of Chanukah and Christmas -- and Their Downsides
Christmas and Chanukah share a spiritual message: that it is possible to bring light and hope in a world of darkness, oppression and despair. But whereas Christmas focuses on the birth of a single individual whose life and mission was itself supposed to bring liberation, Chanukah is about a national

posted 12:59:53pm Dec. 02, 2010 | read full post »

Obama (and Biden) Have No Clue About What's Bothering Their Political Base
Shortly before the California Democratic primary in 2008, the San Fransisco Chronicle invited me to write a short article explaining why I, chair of the interfaithNetwork of Spiritual Progressives, was supporting Barack Obama. Like most other progressive activists, I understood that a pres

posted 1:44:11pm Sep. 30, 2010 | read full post »