Psalm 72 outlines a beautiful prayer for a political leader. Let’s pray for the President of the United States today…and everyday. Sadly, I know of Christians who find it difficult to pray for leaders outside of their political party.
Pardon us, Lord. You are not partisan. You have asked us to pray for our political leaders, and we will simply obey.
Over the next few days we will outline the prayer objectives in Psalm 72 to raise up a praying army for our political leaders. Please read the whole Psalm; we have listed some prayer points from the chapter written by Solomon. Pray these out-loud today for our leader, President Barak Obama.
DAY ONE OF PRAYER.
- May he be an advocate for justice (verse 1)
- May he exhibit right judgement in his decisions and in the legislation he puts forward. (verse 1)
- May he treat the poor with fairness (verse 2)
- And promote prosperity for ALL, not just the elite in society (verse 3)
- Ask that our land would be fruitful under his leadership (vs. 3)
Here’s an amendment to this prayer if you’ve been neglectful in your prayers for this man:
My Father, forgive me for not praying your word over our President. I have been slack and my motives have been selfish. I haven’t wanted him to succeed because I didn’t vote for him. This is wrong, and I repent. I commit myself to pray for him daily and to bless him as your Word instructs “all day long.” Amen.