I am the grandmother of a blended family, which is defined in the Oxford dictionary as “a family consisting of a couple and their children from previous relationships.” A blended family is a complex institution. I know from 22 years of experience. I contend that the matriarch of the family can successfully blend through her wisdom and values.
I play many roles in this blended family of mine. I am the mother, the stepmother, the wife of a man with his children and grandchildren, a mother-in-law and stepmother-in-law.
My easiest role (aside from being a wife) is grandmother to my 15 amazing grandchildren, blended or not. In my heart of hearts I love each of them and I know they love me. This is my recipe for success:
- Continuous contact. Texting, email, and telephone. Conversations end with, “I am only a text or call away.”
- I am their grandmother, not their parent. I am hugs and kisses and praise.
- I remember how I felt at their age. This is very important.
- Grandchildren receive the same gift on their birthdays and all other important occasions.
- I am a very good listener.
- I teach seeing the positive side of everything.
It is not easy to be the matriarch of the family, let alone the blended family. My best advice: BE A ROLE MODEL – A PERSON THAT YOUR GRANDCHILDREN DREAM TO BECOME ONE DAY.
Do Something GOOD Today: Make a conscious effort to be the kind of gramma you want to be for your grandchildren.