Practical Spirituality

Practical Spirituality

The Commitment to Wake Up: A Morning Exercise

posted by Jonathan Ellerby

butterfly_watching.jpg

I have a simple practice that has changed my life. Years ago
a made a commitment that I would never get out of bed in the morning without
being sure that when my feet hit the floor my attitude and intentions were
aligned for the day.

Yes, I still often wake up and think “oh it is too early” or
“I wish I had the day off” or maybe even some worry is cropping up. But that is
not the last thought I have before I get out of bed – instead, I consciously,
intentionally, stop myself and shift my focus to what I am grateful for. I say
a little prayer. If you don’t like to pray you could do a little deep breathing
or select an affirmation.

Imagine that the thoughts you hold when your feet hit the
ground will set the tone for your day. It will change your morning and
eventually your life.

cassie

posted June 16, 2010 at 11:54 am

This is what I need to think about today. And every other day. Too often I let the negative hit me before I even make it out of bed, and it darkens the whole day.

Ute Lawrence

posted June 16, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Wonderful article Jonathan! Cheers, Ute

Jonathan Ellerby

posted June 17, 2010 at 10:14 pm

It is amazing what a small shift in attitude can do for your day–for your life. Just imagine what could happen if everyone started their day in the right frame of mind!

Jonathan Ellerby

posted June 17, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Thank you, Ute!

chozen

posted June 20, 2010 at 9:35 am

i have started a similar practice not too long ago and it has definitely made a positive impact as my day unfolds. what a wonderful reminder from you that we should all adopt an attitude of gratitute and we’ll soon learn that a single affirmation can make all the difference~

organic shampoo

posted August 17, 2010 at 8:44 am

Well I definitely agree that it does sometimes take conscience effort to have the “right” attitude or mindset when you get up in the morning. Some mornings this will be easier to do than others however.

Doug

posted June 24, 2011 at 12:17 pm

What if you wake up and you really have to go the bathroom and you can’t think of anything else?

addy

posted September 14, 2011 at 1:39 am

ya absolutely true….its the first thought in d mrnin thay makes d platform for the whole day….loved it….

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Practical Spirituality. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy:  Inspiration Report Happy Reading!!!

posted 5:00:24pm Jul. 05, 2012 | read full post »

Gaga For My Guru
Ok, so to begin, I am not a big fan of TV or pop culture in general, and while I think everything has its place in the world, I wasn’t overly interested in Lady Gaga a week ago. I certainly knew who she was and of course lots of her songs are catchy – but a “meat suit” – really??? It just

posted 9:35:42am Apr. 19, 2011 | read full post »

Does God Have a Name?
We were on the road to Malinalco, Mexico, when we came upon clusters of people of all ages walking along the highway. It was surprising and mysterious to me. As we passed families, groups, and individuals, I felt as if I were looking through the car window into a world I couldn't begin to comprehend

posted 10:57:08pm Dec. 30, 2010 | read full post »

Go Beyond Fear
Approach the world of spiritual practice with trust and an open heart. Don't be afraid of spiritual experiences. Strange sensations of energy, a feeling of deep love, vulnerability, connectedness, and a loss of ego and control are all aspects of spiritual experience that test and try people's limits

posted 2:32:37pm Dec. 22, 2010 | read full post »

A Thanksgiving Gift
For the American reader, Thanksgiving is fast approaching. Regardless of the cloudy history of this celebration, it has come to mean a time of family, food and discount shopping - not always in that order. Naturally, it's all to be sprinkled with a dose of gratitude and reflection. Before&

posted 9:19:10am Nov. 24, 2010 | read full post »