The Pop Culture Road Trip

The Pop Culture Road Trip

Thanks, Rolling Stone magazine – for nothing

posted by Chris Epting

After skimming the year-end Rolling Stone wrap up issue, I have to say I was taken aback with the exclusion of Avenged Sevenfold’s “Nightmare” on the “best of” album list. I knew the magazine stopped being relevant a long time ago, still, here was a chance for a little redemption. But no – after this band overcomes the brutal loss of their brother in arms, Jimmy “The Rev” Sullivan, to produce a brutal, majestic, open-wound classic – you totally ignore both the album and the single. Nice.

(And the album bumped Eminem from the top slot – you may not get the music – but how about the impact?)
But you really topped yourself by not even including Sullivan on your list of who the music world lost in the last year – how do you justify that? What sort of message does that send? Are you that out of touch? Are you even aware this band exists and that Sullivan died in the last year?
Here’s hoping the entire A7X family collectively decides that you’re not worth their time, either.
Magazine, meet bird cage.
Wait.
I *like* our bird.
charlie and matt.jpg

Elin

posted December 9, 2010 at 6:50 pm

I agree 100% They never included Avenged when the album came out, I don’t think in the short time I was getting the magazine that they even mentioned anything about Avenged. But I certainly have no intention of ever getting it again. They failed big time with excluding Avenged from everything!

Jason Grandbois

posted December 9, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Damn straight! Rolling Stone is worthless…and this is a perfect example why.

Kelly

posted December 9, 2010 at 7:01 pm

I agree Rolling Stone sucks, but so does Avenged Sevenfold.

Your Name

posted December 9, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Yet they didn’t hesitate to be the first to bring us the results of the coroner’s report. While we all know it was an accident, the slant on the article made it sound like he was just another rock star that OD’d. This is not the case, and w all know that. I certainly will never give RS the time of day, just as I haven’t for several years.

Gabby7x

posted December 9, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Kelly, that’s not a very considerate thing to say considering Chris Epting is a huge fan of A7X.

Your NameMandy

posted December 9, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Unbelievable! I’m so so glad I stopped reading this “magazine” a long long time ago.
To not include someone who has had a major impact on so many people and so many lives is
a certified insult to everything music. I will never read or buy Rolling Stone again.
We still think about him. We still love him. And we sure as hell miss him.
R.I.P. Rev. You took a little piece of us with you!

Tashia

posted December 9, 2010 at 7:20 pm

dudes take a chill pill, if the guys thought that was an insult we might have heard something about it. since they haven’t said anything, yet, it means that either they dont care. or the fact that RS doesnt mean that much to them, as long as their fans and families know what is right than who cares what insignificant people report or dont report, all that is is publicity that isn’t needed. Avenged Sevenfold gets all the publicity they need, so dont disregard the fact that if you bring up something they havent than it doesnt matter. *Rest In Peace Jimmy*

Henry

posted December 9, 2010 at 7:33 pm

Tashia, you’re missing the point of this article and what it stands for completely.

chris epting

posted December 9, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Tashia – on the music, they’re entitled to leave out whatever they want – and like I said, when it comes to their judgement, many of us “older” (I’m 48) readers stopped respecting the rag a long time ago- whatever.
But on the point of leaving Jimmy’s name off of the “deceased” list, that’s not a matter of opinion – that’s a matter of fact- he died – include it

Your Name

posted December 9, 2010 at 8:36 pm

chris epting

posted December 9, 2010 at 8:51 pm

“He died in December 2009, I’m guessing that’s why he wasn’t included in the 2010 list.
–but he died at the very end of the year – he could not have been in last year’s year end issue (because it comes out now, early in the month of December) – typically, what they do is just carry that person over to the next year – besides – the funeral was in January – there’s no excuse

Tommy

posted December 9, 2010 at 9:49 pm

You couldn’t be more right! Rolling Stone is such an irrelevant piece of trash magazine. I stopped my subscription years ago. This is proof why. If any, there are few artists out there making music as touching, creative, and technically amazing as Avenged. They were also submitted to 7 Grammy categories, but nominated in 0. I’m sure Katy Perry has been nominated (and will win) a few times though… The music industry is absolute garbage nowadays. And to exclude any mention of Jimmy’s passing? Insulting. Someone up in Rolling Stone must know who Jimmy was… they DID have an article on his death… Love reading your stuff, and your never-ending support of the A7X family!

TrevorSevenfold

posted December 9, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Thanks for everything you do for us! After this I will NEVER buy another RS magazine…PERIOD! No respect to them anymore! But hey who needs some magazine when we got a family that will tell the whole world who the greatest drummer and band are! Love you deathbat brothers and sisters foREVer!

naomi

posted December 10, 2010 at 12:21 am

Congratulations Rolling Stone..FOR NOTHING. If you guys at the mag cant see that Jimmy was an amazing talent that his sorely missed in the music world and that a7x are an amazing band and group of guys to come through the tragic and untimely death of their amazing brother then you have obviously dont know anything about music. Rolling Stone is outdated and backward in its thinking. We love you Jimmy! you will live on foREVer we will never forget you and we will make sure the rest of the world doesnt either.

Marissa

posted December 10, 2010 at 1:36 am

Well, based on how they covered Jimmy’s death, focusing solely on the cause of his death rather than what we lost, did you really expect any better?
After the way they handled it, I stopped buying their magazine. Their publication is one of the biggest out there. They could have easily gathered tons of musicians to speak with about Jimmy, but they chose not to.
I wouldn’t bother with them anymore. Rolling Stone is quickly turning into the National Enquirer of the music industry.

Brian

posted December 10, 2010 at 3:06 am

Im not against ant metal or rock band out there but i took notice also that rolling stone jumps right on my chemical romance coming out with a Sub-Par album with nothing behind it and its considered top notch album of the year and nightmare doesn’t even get mentioned, it is sickening. i bet you there will be a huge article for system of a down touring don’t you worry. Ohh wait Lil Wayne picked up a guitar, lets put him on 3 covers and call it a revolution. F rolling stone. They obviously have something against avenged. let them suck off their mainstream successes.

Brian

posted December 10, 2010 at 3:17 am

Christen

posted December 10, 2010 at 8:40 am

I’ve written Rolling Stone corresepondence several times over the years using both electronic and traditional mail in regards to Avenged Sevenfold, and I’ve never head boo. Its like if someone is a musician you aren’t relative to Rolling Stone unless some beverage company or something like that would want to use your music in a commercial. I have long since moved away from Rolling Stone choosing other magazines such as Revolver and Metal Hammer to get information about the groups I listen to. But it is disheartening how this band can hit #1 on Billboard, have a successful and sold-out WORLD tour, and go and play Thanksgiving holiday shows for American troops in Kuawit & Iraq, but they can’t get a line in Rolling Stone magazine. If Rolling Stone doesn’t get with the times and start listening to/reading the correspondence they get I have a feeling they are going to see the magazine diminish, more so than it already has.

Bianca

posted December 10, 2010 at 1:23 pm

When was the last time this magazine actually reported something relevant? 1993? If ya ask me, they dont deserve their name. not.one.bit. but maybe it takes a very special and highly intelligent person to understand the awesomeness of Avenged ^^

sdgdsh

posted December 14, 2010 at 7:58 pm

welcome to :====== http://www.findsoso.com====
Open the wardrobe is not yet found love after another the
right clothes? So, also waiting for? Immediate action bar!
Welcome to sure you will find
what you need. Moreover, the company has a good reputation,
product quality standards, at reasonable prices. Over the
years, has been well received by overseas friends for their
support. Therefore, please rest assured purchase.
welcome to :====== http://www.findsoso.com ====

Jessi

posted December 15, 2010 at 12:13 am

I am a huge Avenged Sevenfold fan, and even if I were not I would still find what Rolling Stone has done disrespectful.
I was an avid reader of this treacherous magazine for 7 consecutive years and it is clear to me why I am no longer.
Disregarding an accomplishment such as debuting at number 1 on the Billboards is one thing but to completely disrespect Jimmy’s memory is a travesty.
Jimmy was like family to a lot of his fans and he had more talent than anyone I know.
Here is to you Rolling Stone magazine… may you only continue to dig yourself deeper…

Rolling Stone India

posted December 15, 2010 at 2:11 am

Rolling Stone is a U.S.-based monthly magazine devoted to music, politics, and popular culture. Published monthly, Rolling Stone magazine combines relentless mainstream entertainment coverage and unapologetic political views in each issue.

Shann D

posted December 15, 2010 at 10:57 am

I agree with this article completely.
Even if Rolling Stone wasn’t a fan of the band, there’s no denying the impact The Rev made before his passing. To not even note him speaks volumes for the audience they are going for…in my opinion, hipster-cardigan rock that is trying so hard to be ironic and relevant that they neglect to create good music and leave instead a wake of lame band names and even lamer “singles” if you want to call them that.
Keep doing what you do, man!