Pontifications

Pontifications

Moving on, and many, many thanks…

posted by David Gibson

So…my recent vacation and related absences also coincided with an offer from PoliticsDaily.com to cover religion for them, as editor Melinda Henneberger announces here in her roundup on the site’s very successful first 100 days.

That means, in short, that I’ll have to sign off from blogging here at Beliefnet after nearly a year and a half of a very rewarding time. This was my first opportunity as a blogger, something that was new for me and challenging–in terms of the commitment, the style of writing, and, yes, keeping up with the feedback and trying to digest it all.
But the traffic grew steadily from a standing start to a very healthy level, and I regret having to leave off. But there are so many fine options at Beliefnet, including Amy Welborn’s Via Media, which has been going like gangbusters for the past few months.
And of course I’ll welcome any and all of your comments at PoliticsDaily. Not all of you will be in agreement (or even charitable–or is that an understatement?!). But I have honestly appreciated the feedback, and, yes, learned from it. And I hope it has been a reciprocal experience at some points.
So thanks to the faithful, friends and foes. Arrivederci a tutti

Meredith Gould

posted August 2, 2009 at 11:01 pm

Dear David,
I’ll miss you important observations and voice here at beliefnet. I am a big fan of your writing, appreciate your perspective, and have admired your fortitude in the face of the downright nasty comments left by some readers. May God continue to bless you with the gifts of vision, knowledge, and clarity.
Meredith Gould

JAB

posted August 3, 2009 at 8:28 am

I’m sorry to see you leave this site.

J. Peter Nixon

posted August 3, 2009 at 11:14 am

David:
Good luck to you in your new assignment. Facing a new writing challenge is always exciting!
God bless,
Peter

Mere Catholic

posted August 3, 2009 at 3:29 pm

Congratulations and thank you for your sharing your thoughts with your readers. I may not have always agreed with you, but always enjoyed your writing. I hope that, despite the nastiness of some in the comboxes, you found many more friends than foes here. May God bless your new endeavors!

Cindy

posted August 3, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Congratulations on your new gig, David!
I’ll follow you over there, and look forward to more lively commentary from your perspective.
You’ve been greatly missed here. Hope your vacation was grand!
Cindy

Gerard Nadal

posted August 4, 2009 at 9:12 am

God Bless and the best of luck David

Charles Cosimano

posted August 4, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Oh damn, just when I was getting used to you. Well, best of luck in another market.
(Sorry, I just couldn’t resist it.)

pagansister

posted August 4, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Good Luck and Congrats, David. May your new challenge turn out to be everything you hoped for. You will be missed here.

Iris Alantiel

posted August 5, 2009 at 10:28 am

Nooooooooooo, don’t leave us!!!!!
Okay, I understand. The time comes for everyone. But I sure will miss your pontificating.
Good luck in your newest incarnation!

Jonathan Carpenter

posted August 5, 2009 at 4:13 pm

I am glad you got the opportunity and I hope you do well. I wish Beliefnet would have more Catholic bloggers. Now than Amy Welborn is on a break, the only one they have is the former-Catholic Rod Dreher. A shame!

Fr. Ian

posted August 6, 2009 at 10:01 am

Thank you for all your inspiring thoughts and comments, they have given me much to ponder. I am sure you will continue to speak into the hearts and minds of your readers.

ann

posted August 9, 2009 at 10:06 am

David,
Congratulations! Now I can say what I really think at Politicsdaily!

Gospel Catholic

posted August 17, 2009 at 9:10 pm

You’re leaving us with nothing but Amy Welborn? Great, now there will be no moderate/progressive Catholic voice on this site. Can’t you suggest some good folks to Beliefnet who might replace you? Please don’t leave us with just the “my way or highway” folks…

Tom Heneghan

posted August 26, 2009 at 4:28 am

David, I’ve just seen this after my own vacation and related absences. Switching my RSS feeds right now. All the best at PoliticsDaily.com!
Tom

how to play mkv

posted November 10, 2011 at 6:19 am

Wow, I’ve heared of this.

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Pontifications. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Faith, Media and Culture Prayer, Plain and Simple Happy Blogging!!!

posted 2:38:01pm Aug. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Calvin at 500, Calvinism 2.0
If you thought you knew John Calvin--who turned 500 last week--you probably don't know enough. For example, that he was French, born Jean Cauvin. And if he was in fact scandalized by dancing, he was also a lot more complex than that. I explored the new look Calvin in an essay at PoliticsDaily, "Patr

posted 11:53:35am Jul. 16, 2009 | read full post »

Apologia pro vita sua...Kinda
 In my defense, I've had computer outages and family reunions and a few days of single-parenthood, which is always a bracing reminder of what many parents go through all the time. And this weekend it's off for a week's vacation. Anyway, hence the long absence. Apologies to those who have chec

posted 10:51:36am Jul. 16, 2009 | read full post »

When Benny met Barry: "I'll pray for you!"
The first word via Vatican Radio and first image (that I saw) via Rocco: Speaking to Vatican Radio, Press Office Director Fr. Federico Lombardi said "moral values in international politics, immigration and the Catholic Church's contribution in developing countries" were key topics of discussio

posted 12:54:28pm Jul. 10, 2009 | read full post »

Signs of the times: Obama's eye
Yes, this photo of Obama ostensibly eyeing a young woman (apparently a 17-year-old delegate from Brazil--where are her parents?!) at the G-8 Summit is the hottest Google search item. And of course the question of what Obama was thinking is a leading Fox News story. So it goes, even as the

posted 12:26:05pm Jul. 10, 2009 | read full post »