Pontifications

Pontifications

Signs of the times: Obama’s eye

posted by David Gibson

Obama's eyes.jpgYes, this photo of Obama ostensibly eyeing a young woman (apparently a 17-year-old delegate from Brazil–where are her parents?!) at the G-8 Summit is the hottest Google search item. And of course the question of what Obama was thinking is a leading Fox News story.

So it goes, even as the leaders try to address such minor topics as climate change and world hunger.

God knows Sarkozy, that ol’ chien, seems to be leering–quelle surprise, eh? Obama could plausibly be looking elsewhere. Still not quite to the level of, say, Mark Sanford or John Ensign, I think. I confess I’d have looked, if only for the definite “wow” factor the young woman was likely going for.

I was also struck by an odd coincidences, in that as this story popped over the transom I was lifting bits out of Bruce Gordon’s grand new bio of John Calvin for a piece on Calvin’s 500th birthday, which is today. Gordon tries to dispel some of the myths of Calvin as “an unyielding, moralistic and stone-faced tyrant who rejected all the pleasures of life.” And he writes that in his correspondence Calvin “could let drop a line that indicated an eye for beautiful buildings and a well-dressed woman.”

Well, Jean Cauvin was French, you know.

Anyway, maybe a shot of Barack with Benedict–should be coming soon–will displace the Girl from Impanema. But don’t bet on it.

robert barnett

posted July 10, 2009 at 1:16 pm

it is so important that we pray for are prez. in this time of confusion and fear, we must trust that GOD is still in control and although the journey through this valley of dust is difficult we must remember that persecution is the way of true christianity and that although the world is against us, we must remember that we our not apart of this world, which goes by with a puff. so let the worldly enjoy the creation, as our only HOPE is that we will be with the creator. thank GOD for purgatory, and pray that the prez finds a healthy fear of the true Almighty.

Charles Cosimano

posted July 10, 2009 at 1:25 pm

It is good to have a President who is not a professional eunuch.
As Clement of Alexandria said when tasked with spending too much time with the women of the church, “The Lord was not ashamed to make them and I am not ashamed to look at them.”

jestrfyl

posted July 10, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Leave it to FOX to find the gutter, wallow in it, and drag anyone else nearby to join them. Their sense of news is laughable, not laudable.

Mere Catholic

posted July 10, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Fox News is hardly alone in disseminating pseudo-news, though particularly skilled at it. This was the same story that greeted me as I foolishly watched part of Good Morning America today. A male anchor, ostensibly a journalist, explained the image with fascinating analysis, while his female counterparts giggled with girlish delight.

John Otis Emerson

posted July 10, 2009 at 4:40 pm

Face it. The “man” is a stinking pig. Presidential? He barely qualifies a ghetto material. Enough already. If I caugh him looking at my daughter like that he would get a punch in the nose.

Jason

posted July 10, 2009 at 6:02 pm

I love the continued bias that not only the bloggers here on B-net display, but also that of those reading these blogs and leaving ridiculous comments. Are people so uneducated that they willingly take a blogger or even a news agency at their word without fact checking?
Yes, when you take a video such as the one with President Obama and freeze frame it right where you want it to be, you can give the world a false perception. I would love to know how many of these people who are falsely accusing Obama have watched the full video clip to see, what in actuality and reality, was Obama being a gentleman and helping the woman behind him down the stairs. The idiocy of of it all! Do any of the bloggers on B-Net actually adhere to the values of their religious beliefs? Do you not value truth and honesty? Do you not value other human beings reputations, regardless of their political views? What a shame.

Frank Clyburn

posted July 10, 2009 at 7:42 pm

I don’t like our new President’s policies at all, but as a male I know and recognize beauty when I see it myself. Can I downgrade any man for recognizing it also?

ann

posted July 10, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Jason, to answer your question, yes we do, I think, mostly. :)
The assumption that the man doesn’t have enough going on that he even NOTICES a female besides his wife is laughable. I check and double check everything that I have to suffer to hear from FOX news…which is purposely rare!

Flee

posted July 10, 2009 at 10:17 pm

You did watch the video? I watched it and it was not what fox was reporting.

Scadenhead

posted July 11, 2009 at 12:12 am

I’m new here. Is beliefnet just a brand? What connection if any do you have to religion? I thought the picture was funny at first, but now i see that it’s not meant as a joke to you folks.

Tim

posted July 11, 2009 at 4:11 pm

I encourage David Gibson to do fact check on this photo and story. When you look at the actual video of the event you will see that Obama was not oogling the 17 year old but trying to negotiate steps with another person who is cropped from this photo. As far as Fox, trust them as much as you trust the original Fox in Luke 13:32.

Bill Lenner

posted July 11, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Also cropped from your photo is that the step below the one shown is twice as steep as the one shown. Obama apparently was taken by surprise by the depth of the second step (which almost reaches up to the young lady’s knee, so he is looking at the treacherous step and then turns to help a middle aged woman (his aide I assume)to negotiate it. Look at where Sarkozy is looking. Obama’s face is not turned that far back. His eyes would have had to have been skewed wildly to the right. And too bad someone chose to crop that last step. Along with the lies printed in the right wing hate media, the doctored photo was enough to fool the weak minded folks that follow them or who just believe everything that comes down the pike. A more complete photo and the video is available at http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/10/one-more-take-on-that-photo/

Tim

posted July 12, 2009 at 9:28 pm

I ask for a follow up post from the original blogger. Is this the discourse we can expect from Catholic commentators? We post misleading photos. People go nuts putting in their two cents.
Meanwhile, our economic system is unsustainable and causing damage to planetary carrying capacity, and prophets are needed to say so.
Our security system is a threat with weapons on the loose that could destroy millions while altering the ecological balance.
Our equity system is such that there are few winners and many losers in the fight for daily bread, and we need disciples to teach what they’ve been taught to pray and live, “Give us this day our daily bread. Give to all of us. Make sure the hungry are fed. And give to the stuffed a hunger for justice.”
Our faith systems are concerned with determining ticket destinations for the deceased- smoking or non-smoking- a clear diversion from Christ’s focus of praying that God’s Kingdom and will be done right down here, on earth, as in heaven.
So we get a ridiculous post on a distorted photo instead of inviting national, global and faith leaders to deal with our common crisis points of prosperity, security, equity, and genuine meaning of faith.
I ask David to repent with me on moving away from silly stuff to serious stuff. The planet is in the balance.

Gerard Nadal

posted July 13, 2009 at 2:11 pm

David,
It’s no secret that I’m no fan of Obama. That said, clean up your act buddy. Your posts have begun to slide below the level of reporting in the National Enquirer. So many have become so poor that I’ve not dignified them with participation. A guy with your intelligence and literary skills can, and should, do much better. This post was a new low.

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Pontifications. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Faith, Media and Culture Prayer, Plain and Simple Happy Blogging!!!

posted 2:38:01pm Aug. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Moving on, and many, many thanks...
So...my recent vacation and related absences also coincided with an offer from PoliticsDaily.com to cover religion for them, as editor Melinda Henneberger announces here in her roundup on the site's very successful first 100 days. That means, in short, that I'll have to sign off from blogging h

posted 8:29:24pm Aug. 02, 2009 | read full post »

Calvin at 500, Calvinism 2.0
If you thought you knew John Calvin--who turned 500 last week--you probably don't know enough. For example, that he was French, born Jean Cauvin. And if he was in fact scandalized by dancing, he was also a lot more complex than that. I explored the new look Calvin in an essay at PoliticsDaily, "Patr

posted 11:53:35am Jul. 16, 2009 | read full post »

Apologia pro vita sua...Kinda
 In my defense, I've had computer outages and family reunions and a few days of single-parenthood, which is always a bracing reminder of what many parents go through all the time. And this weekend it's off for a week's vacation. Anyway, hence the long absence. Apologies to those who have chec

posted 10:51:36am Jul. 16, 2009 | read full post »

When Benny met Barry: "I'll pray for you!"
The first word via Vatican Radio and first image (that I saw) via Rocco: Speaking to Vatican Radio, Press Office Director Fr. Federico Lombardi said "moral values in international politics, immigration and the Catholic Church's contribution in developing countries" were key topics of discussio

posted 12:54:28pm Jul. 10, 2009 | read full post »