Pontifications

Pontifications

Farrah’s funeral mass

posted by David Gibson

Farrah funeral program.jpgIt took place at Our Lady of the Angels Cathedral in Los Angeles on Tuesday, and seemed to represent everything about Farrah Fawcett, and the Catholic imagination–if you can imagine that combo. I can, or I would like to.

For one thing, there was the funeral program–at right–with a cover I’d like to have for my sendoff: it’d draw a lot more people.

On the inside cover was a poem by James Joyce, “At That Hour”, which concludes:

“Play on, invisible harps, unto Love,
Whose way in heaven is aglow
At that hour when soft lights come and go,
Soft sweet music in the air above
And in the earth below.”

A bagpiper in a kilt played “Amazing Grace” and the stars turned out: Joan Collins, Tatum O’Neal, Marla Maples, and Charlie’s Angels costar Kate Jackson turned out, according to PEOPLE magazine. The LATimes also spotted Jaclyn Smith and Cheryl Ladd (who replaced Fawcett on 70s show), and Fawcett’s ex Lee Majors, of “The Six-Million Dollar Man” fame) with whom she reconnected with recently after two decades.

Her elderly father was there. Her longtime partner, Ryan O’Neal was a pallbearer and their 24-year-old son, Redmond, was allowed out of jail (he has a drug problem) to bear the casket as well.

He apparently “sat in the cathedral flanked by two sheriff’s deputies.” And he did the first reading, Lamentations 3:17-26:

My soul is deprived of peace, I have forgotten what happiness is;

I tell myself my future is lost, all that I hoped for from the LORD.

The thought of my homeless poverty is wormwood and gall;

Remembering it over and over leaves my soul downcast within me.

But I will call this to mind, as my reason to have hope:

The favors of the LORD are not exhausted, his mercies are not spent;

They are renewed each morning, so great is his faithfulness.

My portion is the LORD, says my soul; therefore will I hope in him.

Good is the LORD to one who waits for him, to the soul that seeks him;

It is good to hope in silence for the saving help of the LORD.

Ryan O’Neal read Wisdom 3:1-9:

But the souls of the just are in the hand of God, and no torment shall touch them. They seemed, in the view of the foolish, to be dead; and their passing away was thought an affliction and their going forth from us, utter destruction. But they are in peace.

For if before men, indeed, they be punished, yet is their hope full of immortality;

Chastised a little, they shall be greatly blessed, because God tried them and found them worthy of himself.

As gold in the furnace, he proved them, and as sacrificial offerings he took them to himself.

In the time of their visitation they shall shine, and shall dart about as sparks through stubble;

They shall judge nations and rule over peoples, and the LORD shall be their King forever.

Those who trust in him shall understand truth, and the faithful shall abide with him in love: Because grace and mercy are with his holy ones, and his care is with the elect.

A bit Calvinist at the end, but after the mass, the guests went to a reception where a band played Fawcett’s favorite songs, including those by Van Morrison.

No mention of the celebrant or his homily–but I guess that’s Hollywood.

pagansister

posted July 1, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Too bad Farrah wasn’t there for the send off.

pagansister

posted July 1, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Oh wait, she was there…but probably wasn’t in a position to enjoy it. Seriously, where ever she might be, she is no longer in pain.

Steve T

posted July 1, 2009 at 3:09 pm

That sounds like a wonderful, loving, and tasteful sendoff for a lady of many talents, not just good looks. Requiem aeternam Farrah.

ken feller

posted July 1, 2009 at 3:50 pm

may god be with her and please everyone pray for her son farrah we will all miss you

Your Name

posted July 2, 2009 at 8:51 am

I think that Farrah touched the lives of many when she allowed the filming of her treatments for cancer. What is normally very private and very personal became very public as her battle with cancer was aired on TV. Here was a well known and strong personality in her weakest moments. How humbling for us to be permitted to observe those last days, to see the struggle and to see the hope. This is the sort of courage that generates hope in the lives of others. Thank you Farrah. God is with you.

Your Name

posted July 2, 2009 at 9:40 am

I only saw some of the documentary, but from what I saw she was much smarter than I ever realized and she expresses herself so intelligently and sweetly. I was really amazed at her bravery and
strength. I feel so bad for her Dad and hope he is being cared for through all of this. I did not realize he lost another daughter to cancer, Farrah’s sister, some years back. I think I would just like to hear a bit more about Lee Majors having been an abusive husband and Ryan O’Neal, an abusive significant other, so that woman can know that Farrah also suffered emotional, mental and spiritual pain from these relationships and yet had a forgiving spirit, a heart of reconciliation and mainly a determination to persevere. I hope she went ‘gentle into that good night’. I pray for her son (and others who suffer addictions) and for Redmond’s recovery from his addiction/s, so that Farrah may smile from above.

Your Name

posted July 2, 2009 at 11:42 am

Farrah Fawcett was a woman as many mothers who had to fight many battles in life. When you have a child that you cannot reach it hurts. Her pain and suffering was agonizing to watch. I admired her bravery and willingness to share her story for the benefit of others. The Bible says” to be absent from thre body is to be present with the Lord.” I know that she has now found peace. I hope that her son will honor her memory by being the person she always prayed that he become.Rest Farrah you are missed and loved.

Your Name

posted July 2, 2009 at 11:52 am

Farrah Fawcett was an icon within her own right. She touched the lives of all that knew her in whatever capacity. I am hurt that she had to leave this world before her son could pull his life together. The ones you love can hurt you the most. I admired her bravery and cherish her story that she shared with so many to leave her mark on humanity as a legacy to try and reach others for the greater good even after her passing. I love you farrah Mitchell Congress

D. Trueblood

posted July 3, 2009 at 1:21 am

It is not fair, she wanted to live, and whats worse is that the day she passed so did michael jackson yes that was said to. But it seems like it took away from her and the fans that is just terrible, she was still beautiful, funny and down to earth, and m. Jackson we haven’t heard nothing for awhile, and the last time we heard it was all bad so dont get me wrong it is all said but please give all us time to morne our prayers are with the family may god keep her out of pain and in peace. Thank you

How sad

posted July 15, 2009 at 6:59 pm

To the poster who wrote: “I think I would just like to hear a bit more about Lee Majors having been an abusive husband and Ryan O’Neal, an abusive significant other, so that woman can know that Farrah also suffered emotional, mental and spiritual pain from these relationships and yet had a forgiving spirit, a heart of reconciliation and mainly a determination to persevere.”
There has never been anything said or written about Lee Majors being abusive to her, even by Farrah and therefore your comments are unfair as well as inaccurate. Posted to a Catholic site I found it really disappointing that you did not bother to check the facts but instead chose to label Mr Majors without any evidence to back your statement up.

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Pontifications. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Faith, Media and Culture Prayer, Plain and Simple Happy Blogging!!!

posted 2:38:01pm Aug. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Moving on, and many, many thanks...
So...my recent vacation and related absences also coincided with an offer from PoliticsDaily.com to cover religion for them, as editor Melinda Henneberger announces here in her roundup on the site's very successful first 100 days. That means, in short, that I'll have to sign off from blogging h

posted 8:29:24pm Aug. 02, 2009 | read full post »

Calvin at 500, Calvinism 2.0
If you thought you knew John Calvin--who turned 500 last week--you probably don't know enough. For example, that he was French, born Jean Cauvin. And if he was in fact scandalized by dancing, he was also a lot more complex than that. I explored the new look Calvin in an essay at PoliticsDaily, "Patr

posted 11:53:35am Jul. 16, 2009 | read full post »

Apologia pro vita sua...Kinda
 In my defense, I've had computer outages and family reunions and a few days of single-parenthood, which is always a bracing reminder of what many parents go through all the time. And this weekend it's off for a week's vacation. Anyway, hence the long absence. Apologies to those who have chec

posted 10:51:36am Jul. 16, 2009 | read full post »

When Benny met Barry: "I'll pray for you!"
The first word via Vatican Radio and first image (that I saw) via Rocco: Speaking to Vatican Radio, Press Office Director Fr. Federico Lombardi said "moral values in international politics, immigration and the Catholic Church's contribution in developing countries" were key topics of discussio

posted 12:54:28pm Jul. 10, 2009 | read full post »