Pontifications

Pontifications

Carrie Prejean, Miss California slacker?

posted by David Gibson

Carrie Prejean.jpgDonald Trump has fired her
for not fulfilling her duties. How tough is a beauty queen’s job?

“This was a decision based solely on contract violations,” Keith Lewis, the executive director of Miss California USA said in a statement, citing Ms. Prejean’s truancy at required public appearances. “It has become abundantly clear that Carrie is unwilling to fulfill her obligations.”

The move to remove came a month after Mr. Trump, the co-owner of the Miss Universe Organization, which produces the Miss USA pageant, had stood alongside a teary Ms. Prejean and said she would keep her tiara…Though she lost the big prize to Kristen Dalton of North Carolina, Ms. Prejean soon became a media lightning rod, with her comments being denounced by some and celebrated by groups that oppose same-sex marriage. The frenzy only intensified when photos of a barely clad — and more brunette than blond — Ms. Prejean surfaced, something she attributed to disreputable photographers…

…Charles S. LiMandri, Ms. Prejean’s lawyer, told CNN that news of the firing was “a big shock,” and denied that she had not been cooperating with pageant requirements.

And how does this fit into her Queen Esther, biblical heroine role?

pagansister

posted June 11, 2009 at 11:46 am

Does anyone really care about this? We have a lot more problems in this world than to worry about who Miss USA is!

hootie1fan

posted June 11, 2009 at 12:31 pm

I think when all of this “scandal” started to go down, Trump new he was sitting on a goldmine of publicity that he was willing to milk as long as Ms Prejean was will to play ball. Since she wasn’t willing to follow her contract, was rather flagrant about it AND her 15 minutes was just about up, The Donald decided she wasn’t worth the trouble and fired her.

Your Name

posted June 11, 2009 at 12:56 pm

pagansister
****************
And she’s not even Miss USA. This should have been a California issue and would have been that way if not for Fox News and Alabama district 74 Rep Jay Love (R).

kenneth

posted June 11, 2009 at 5:44 pm

Just another white trash opportunist who got elevated to “celebrity” status by our reality show culture for having accomplished absolutely nothing.

pagansister

posted June 11, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Thanks for the “correction” YN. :o)

Panthera

posted June 12, 2009 at 7:33 am

Let’s see.
We have the conservative Christians killing two people this last week, another one driving his truck into a church trying to kill people and dear old crunchycon is calling doctors who perform abortions “butchers” (with the usual comments on how those of us who accept that only the woman affected can make the decision are “monsters”).
Guess this is far more interesting, you’re right.
So, let’s see.
Hmm.
Trying to care. Trying really hard to find something interesting to say.
Nope, sorry – my “give a damn” is still broken.
I guess I must have stayed over long at the interior decorating seminar on “red and green should ne’er be seen” when the gay passion for tabloid topics was being handed out. Just can’t find this one any more interesting than the whole Adam and Kris discussion.
Well, Kris was kind of interesting, as long as he kept his mouth shut. And I think the same applies to Miss Prejean.

Your Name

posted June 12, 2009 at 8:45 am

It appears far too coincidental that Miss California was fired for not fulfilling her contract. This makes her all the more a heroine.

Panthera

posted June 12, 2009 at 9:24 am

Father Ian,
I suspect – just as with Kris-the-hunk-who-can’t-carry-a-tune-in-a-bucket-but-is-cute-and-oh-so-Christian, the point of the exercise was to create a tempest in a tea-pot.
I am minded of the eminem/Bruno incident at the M-TV awards – same basic nonsense.
Remind me again why American culture is so superior to my country’s? OH, right – we have women’s rights and gay marriage, the US has American Idol, M-TV and Miss Silicon Boobs. No wonder America is God’s own personal favorite.
How ever could I have forgotten.

pagansister

posted June 12, 2009 at 11:48 am

Panthera, where do you live? (if you don’t mind saying, of course).

Panthera

posted June 12, 2009 at 12:47 pm

pagan sister,
Forgive me – after the attacks on my husband and me, I have an on-line personality which is not really me.
Unfortunately, there are folks around here who truly are dangerous.
I am in Europe, in a country with legally recognized gay marriage. My parents are in the US, where they moved from Europe when I was a boy. his explains English not being my native tongue. I was less than pleased with the Deep South and didn’t fully move to the ‘States with me folks until in my teens.
My husband grew up in Ireland and is my third cousin, something I think several folks here figured out years ago – having called some fool here a twpsyn. Stuff slips through, so I have just accepted that I must be careful.
Forgive me? The last thing I want is to have some christianist from here hurt my parents or my love.

Leight

posted June 13, 2009 at 12:02 am

….. it is fascinating when someone speaks an obvious truth and is cursed for it… and it is amazing that truth even has to be spoken… but such is the case when sin is sanctioned…
Who would have thought we would live to see such a day as this, when evil is good, and good is evil, and bitter is sweet and sweet is bitter… and all quite openly… an Apostate Nation…

Panthera

posted June 13, 2009 at 1:15 am

Leight,
Do you truly believe discriminating against two people who are willing to commit to each other for their entire lives is apostasy?
Goodness.
I would call it being responsible.

Jim McCrea

posted June 13, 2009 at 7:55 pm

Panthera:
You obviously haven’t lurked in these good pools of Christian brotherly love for very long!
“My mind is made up (praze jaysus!!!)don’t confuse me with facts or logic” folk love to prattle on with their canned trite statements and pavlovian responses to anything that doesn’t fit into their narrow little stairway to hevvin fer cryinoutloud!
Welcome to the love-in!

Your Name

posted June 13, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Dear Panthera,
No forgiveness necessary…I understand your being unable to answer my question. It is much more important that you protect your husband and your family. Wish it wasn’t necessary in this world to have to do that….and perhaps someday it won’t be.
Will be content to enjoy your posts on these sometimes crazy threads!
Oh, I spent much of my life in the Deep South of the USA…so I know where you are coming from with your “less than pleased” statement!

pagansister

posted June 13, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Good Grief! The above …9:08 PM, 13 June, is mine…pagansister.
Had to “refresh”!

Panthera

posted June 14, 2009 at 3:03 am

Hi pagansister and Jim McCrea,
Yeah – it is ridiculous, but I’ve learned my lesson. The hard way.
I hear you Jim – been around here for quite a while, in fact, just don’t post on this wonderful blog too often.
It seems to me that the more the conservative Christians lose on the scientific, medical and moral fronts (murdering your opponents doesn’t win you points with the moderates) the further they’ve drifted into serious wing-nut territory. Scary and more than a bit worrying.
Here in Western Europe, we just don’t understand how a country which did so much to advance human rights for so long can now be so hateful and closed.
Not to get back on topic or anything, still – it is frightening to see how discrimination and oppression can be so banal as this whole confrontation over Miss Prejean. I didn’t realize how seriously people took this pseudo culture for the real thing until one of my students wrote her term paper on the subject.
Goodness!

pagansister

posted June 14, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Yes,Panthera, some folks take pseudo culture really seriously! (as apparently your student did on her term paper).
I hope that the real reason that she was booted wasn’t because of her opinion on gay marriage (One which I totally don’t agree with), but that she wasn’t doing what her “job” as Miss California required, as stated in a contract(?) which I assume she had to sign just to enter the contest. As much as I disagree with her statement, she did have the right to state it.
“Here in Western Europe, we still don’t understand how a country which did so much to advance human rights for so long can now be so hateful and closed”. Panthera
I live here and wonder the same thing!!

Panthera

posted June 14, 2009 at 6:48 pm

I think we have started down a very dark path and it will be a miracle if the US can find its way back to sanity after the last eight years.
So much of the unthinkable has become routine and even sacrosanct.
What bothers me the most about the postings and comments I read is the utter disregard for experience outside of the US. Erin Manning and Rod Dreher (when not engaged in ecstasies of delight over their racist fanboys) actually pretend the US is the only country on earth to ever consider gay marriage. That no other military has openly homosexual soldiers. That gay adoption can’t possibly be tolerated because there is no evidence on the outcomes…
Scary. Worse, this false witness is lapped up by the conservative Christians without reflection.
Fifty years from now, we will look back at the culture wars and shake our heads. Right now, I find this all very distressing.

pagansister

posted June 14, 2009 at 8:55 pm

I sincerely hope that President Obama will help get us out of some of this mess, created by “W” and his buddies, religious and otherwise! (not just the Iraq mistake). It will take time…and patience. The conservative Christians, who feel they should run the country, are slowly losing power, IMO. I hope I’m right. Then you and those you care about could be yourselves. That is what is right and proper!

mary davies

posted June 15, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Today’s MarriageNewsNow dot com alert says that Prejean now officially has gay marriage aggressors on the run. The gay lesbian community is calling on gay attack dogs to back off fast.

Panthera

posted June 17, 2009 at 1:54 pm

mary, mary.
Now we know that Ms. Prejean is just a fine, upstanding young lady who would never dream of using artificial aids to enhance her God-given body.
Or pose naked to inflame lust in the hearts of heterosexual men.
Or commit false witness.
Whatever could you have been thinking of?
I guess we should mention that some of the pictures on this site are not necessarily safe for work. Wow! That soldier sure does were his beret well.

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Pontifications. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Faith, Media and Culture Prayer, Plain and Simple Happy Blogging!!!

posted 2:38:01pm Aug. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Moving on, and many, many thanks...
So...my recent vacation and related absences also coincided with an offer from PoliticsDaily.com to cover religion for them, as editor Melinda Henneberger announces here in her roundup on the site's very successful first 100 days. That means, in short, that I'll have to sign off from blogging h

posted 8:29:24pm Aug. 02, 2009 | read full post »

Calvin at 500, Calvinism 2.0
If you thought you knew John Calvin--who turned 500 last week--you probably don't know enough. For example, that he was French, born Jean Cauvin. And if he was in fact scandalized by dancing, he was also a lot more complex than that. I explored the new look Calvin in an essay at PoliticsDaily, "Patr

posted 11:53:35am Jul. 16, 2009 | read full post »

Apologia pro vita sua...Kinda
 In my defense, I've had computer outages and family reunions and a few days of single-parenthood, which is always a bracing reminder of what many parents go through all the time. And this weekend it's off for a week's vacation. Anyway, hence the long absence. Apologies to those who have chec

posted 10:51:36am Jul. 16, 2009 | read full post »

When Benny met Barry: "I'll pray for you!"
The first word via Vatican Radio and first image (that I saw) via Rocco: Speaking to Vatican Radio, Press Office Director Fr. Federico Lombardi said "moral values in international politics, immigration and the Catholic Church's contribution in developing countries" were key topics of discussio

posted 12:54:28pm Jul. 10, 2009 | read full post »