Pontifications

Pontifications

The new “Terminator” as a “sci-fi Nativity story”

posted by David Gibson

Terminator Salvation.jpgThat’s the take from CT movie blogger Peter Chattaway on Terminator Salvation, which opens today:

Regarding Terminator Salvation, director McG told mtv News that he and writer Jonathan Nolan were influenced by the stories of Luke Skywalker, Neo from The Matrix trilogy, and Jesus. Said McG, “Here’s a guy who’s saying, ‘Listen to me, I know what’s going on.’ Some people listen; some people don’t believe a word he’s saying.”

He has an interesting take on the series. Then again, is this (at right) what Jesus would do?

With luck, I’ll be catching up to Star Trek this weekend, so exegesis on the newest Terminator welcome from those who brave the opening weekend crowds.

cx

posted May 23, 2009 at 8:03 am

Well, of course Republican Jesus would gleefully kill evil-doers, wouldn’t he?

rick

posted May 23, 2009 at 9:05 am

OOH! Have it your way! In Gods world survival of the fittest, self preservation, or self defense, seems to be a normal reaction. The Darwinian theory in which a lot of liberals seem to prescribe to,is suffient in describing one’s reaction to evil. As for gleefully ,I can’t say, but that seems to be your reacion for the opportunity to murder.Helped slaughter any babies lately, or do you just sit by and gleefully count the chance for more stem cell research?

Florence

posted May 23, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Rick! No one could say it better than you just did. I feel gleeful that you did. God bless!

cx

posted May 24, 2009 at 8:06 am

Rick, I really don’t know what Jesus would do in that alternate reality. But it sounds like you have a good idea of what your projection of Jesus would do. Even though He didn’t ultimately practice self-preservation from all I’ve read.
It sounds like you enjoy projecting. The only babies I’ve killed recently, or ever for that matter, have been non-human. Besides, it’s Republicans that enjoy killing, not I.
In any case, non-serious questions like this don’t deserve serious answers.

Your Name

posted May 24, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Any society that can not or will not protect it’s unborn is indeed a society doomed to failure. I believe that most terrorist refer to these type of targets as soft targets. The current government seems to take the possible mistreatment of war criminals after 9/11 alot more seriously than the murder of it’s future citizens.
I have not and will not resign myself that any court, legislative body or any president has the right to decide that the murder of any of it’s citizen born or unborn can is just, while the treatment of war criminals demands that they be given the same unalienable rights as it’s citizens. Our tolerance and acceptance of these atrocities only goes to show our lack of respect and belief in the Lord our God.If the murder of a pregnate woman and the death of the child held inside of the womb can be prosecuted as a double homicide, there is a realization that that the unborn are people to. As for being a republican I guess I’d have to think myself as more of a libritarian. I have’t seen any republicans lately gaurding the republic.
Upon my induction into the U.S. military in the early 70′s I took an oath to defend the consitution against all foriegn and domestic enemies. Looks to me like the latter is as much or more prevalant than the first. Looking at the U.S. constitution I still haven’t found the article or amendment that says it is or ever should be open to interpetation. I would really expect to see it in writting if that would have been our founding fathers intentions. Kinda like the Ten commandnets say Thou shal not kill… execpt for unborn babies and any one else except terrorist and ,wait any one else that the courts say is okay. OOH ! by the way Jesus did practice self preservation, by honoring his father and allowing for his own death on the cross he allowed us the possibility of life after this one. Providing that we believe!

cx

posted May 25, 2009 at 8:58 am

Sure didn’t take long to go from a sci-fi/fantasy series & Jesus to baby-killers, did it? Oh, well, I guess life in that fairy-tale world is pretty exciting?
OOH ! I don’t think that your re-definition of “self-preservation” would be accepted by normal humans. Maybe you could try using normal-world English definitions next time.

rick

posted May 25, 2009 at 9:51 am

In the end you will see that the Bible and Gods word isn’t a fairy tale.I hope I don’t see you there. Remember your the one who bestowed the gleeful murdering aspect to the conversation!I simply pointed out that a rose by any other name still smells as sweet.

Your Name

posted May 25, 2009 at 10:55 am

Self preservation may only make since to Christians, Love thy neighbor as thy self,there is no greater love than to give one’s life for a friend. Humainty is self centered enough, Christ only wants us to realize that even in the death of our earthly bodies we still have the opportunity for salvation, if only we look to the preservation of others as we do our selves. To believe is not a fairy tale, to think that you can go through this short time on earth with out consequences is.

Your Name

posted May 25, 2009 at 4:49 pm

You have to watch this if you want to conflate the Terminator and Jesus narratives:

Your Name

posted June 1, 2009 at 8:49 am

It’s hardly suprising that the Terminator, Matrix, Star wars and Dune movies have biblical overtones and saviour figures. All these films and more, remind us that the world wants/needs a saviour. What this reminds me of is that the fields are ripe for harvest. Jesus told us that 2000 years ago. It remains just as true today.

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Pontifications. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Faith, Media and Culture Prayer, Plain and Simple Happy Blogging!!!

posted 2:38:01pm Aug. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Moving on, and many, many thanks...
So...my recent vacation and related absences also coincided with an offer from PoliticsDaily.com to cover religion for them, as editor Melinda Henneberger announces here in her roundup on the site's very successful first 100 days. That means, in short, that I'll have to sign off from blogging h

posted 8:29:24pm Aug. 02, 2009 | read full post »

Calvin at 500, Calvinism 2.0
If you thought you knew John Calvin--who turned 500 last week--you probably don't know enough. For example, that he was French, born Jean Cauvin. And if he was in fact scandalized by dancing, he was also a lot more complex than that. I explored the new look Calvin in an essay at PoliticsDaily, "Patr

posted 11:53:35am Jul. 16, 2009 | read full post »

Apologia pro vita sua...Kinda
 In my defense, I've had computer outages and family reunions and a few days of single-parenthood, which is always a bracing reminder of what many parents go through all the time. And this weekend it's off for a week's vacation. Anyway, hence the long absence. Apologies to those who have chec

posted 10:51:36am Jul. 16, 2009 | read full post »

When Benny met Barry: "I'll pray for you!"
The first word via Vatican Radio and first image (that I saw) via Rocco: Speaking to Vatican Radio, Press Office Director Fr. Federico Lombardi said "moral values in international politics, immigration and the Catholic Church's contribution in developing countries" were key topics of discussio

posted 12:54:28pm Jul. 10, 2009 | read full post »