Pontifications

Pontifications

ND reax: “Is it possible for us then to join hands in common effort?”

posted by David Gibson

That’s the challenge President Obama laid down. What is the answer? Powerful speech of genuine substance and gracious delivery that put hecklers to shame. Who will take up his challenge? Will any bishops step forward? Or who? Thoughts?

What struck me was the unifing theme: Faith and Reason. Faith and Reason. The mantra of the day. And another Big Catholic’s favorite slogan. That would be the Pope.

Other motif: The Fishermen. The civil rights commission–a precedent on abortion policy?

ed gleason

posted May 17, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Score: ND 60- 60 bishops 0,
“reduce abortions”, “we need a conscience clause”
‘Best’ after speech review was Fox News interviewing a Mike Gallagher, anaylist, who said the ‘whole thing was a disgrace.. ND was a scandal honoring Obama.. Gallagher kept saying he was raised Catholic as his bene fides.. … three or more times.. ‘ND abandoned the Catholic faith’etc.. at the very end he said he was now a Methodist!!Fox news people looked shocked or laughed.. I howled in laughter

jane

posted May 17, 2009 at 6:15 pm

He (Obama) is a most convincing speaker…BUT…how can have abortion and not have abortion at the same time? It is almost like being a little bit pregnant!! I did not vote for Obama, but I do admire his persoality and style..I do not admire many of his “policies” and personnel picks. I am of the thought that abortion is murder…We must find a way to save every mother’s child and then find ways to help her and her child to live a good life. Obama’s Mother did it!

Gregory

posted May 17, 2009 at 6:21 pm

How can you have the right to abortion and not have abortion at the same time? Simple. Choose to carry the child to term. That’s how. When Catholic numbskulls finally understand this, progress will be possible. Of course, it is much easier to complain about the possibility a woman you don’t even know might abort her child than it is to help a woman in need you do know. I am utterly disgusted with the hypocrisy of the protestors and the hypocrisy of the “pro”-life movement.

Cindy

posted May 17, 2009 at 6:35 pm

There are books on shelves that I don’t buy.
There are movies on the screen that I don’t watch.
There are television shows that I ignore.
There are celebrity scandals in which I choose not to participate.
There are foods I do not eat.
There are drinks I do not drink.
There are laws allowing behaviors I do not practice.
There are freedoms I will defend:
…such as the right of someone to say something with which I disagree.
…such as the right of someone to believe something other than what I believe.
…such as the right of someone to practice a religion of their choosing.
…such as the right to bear arms even though I’m an avowed pacifist and cannot stand guns.
As long as there is, within the laws of this land, a law giving someone the right to have that gun or do other things with which I disagree then I will support their rights to those behaviors.
This is my responsibility as an American.
As a Catholic I agree with the Church teachings on abortion, on life issues, on birth control, on the Eucharist and other elements of Sacramental life.
I look to the Pope and the Bishops and my own pastor for guidance. I recognize that vocal, volatile, vitriolic people write in blogs and think they can forcefully tell me I am not a Catholic. I know they are wrong.
But they can speak on, as long as we have a President and a Government that supports our Constitution and the freedoms of our citizens.
So I hope we can lay this one to rest and move on to some other issues now. God bless Notre Dame, but there really are other issues.

Randy

posted May 17, 2009 at 7:33 pm

ND 60 Bishops 0
That says it all. Claiming to be Catholic but could not be further from the bishops of the Catholic church.

adriano

posted May 17, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Its clear,President obama believes that the church is only a simple non governamental organization like greenpeace or something like it.
He will save the god’s creation from earth warming,but who will save the children from him.
All the time,he is talking how the church must be to work with him…

Mere Catholic

posted May 17, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Catholic numbskulls? The common ground is already on shaky ground.
Abortion reduction seems to have been one theme from the speech. In that spirit, has the President given public support to the Democrat-written and Democrat-introduced bill– The Pregnant Woman’s Support Act? One would think that this would be one way to “join hands in common effort”. Is the President up to his own challenge?

tmac

posted May 17, 2009 at 8:14 pm

All I have to say is that Father Jenkins and Notre Dame brought honor and glory back to the U.S. Catholic Church today. I am not usually an emotionally person, but I couldn’t help but cry after listening to Fr. Jenkins and President Obama’s speech.
As for the Catholic Bishops, it was a missed opportunity.

Meredith Gould

posted May 17, 2009 at 8:27 pm

I’m in full agreement w/tmac, although I am usually an emotive person. This was an extraordinary speech delivered with dignity and grace. We would do well, as Catholics, to return the consideration.

ann

posted May 17, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Would it be that abortion were the only issue in the world that Catholics have to be concerned with. In reality, accross the board Obama speaks as a man of Peace. There are too many people that focus only on the beginning of life and generally you will hear the same people disinterested in the dignity of the whole person and the whole life. Great, please, lets work together to lessen the cases of abortion, we all want that. But he sees the bigger picture that so many don’t want to and that is “but then what?” The baby has a right to the basic needs in life and yet we complain about the “system” taking care of them. It is time to figure out that we can’t have it both ways…we have to be “all in”. It is time to accept that life is about shades of gray. What he is suggesting is the same as what the Gospels tell us, don’t harden your hearts. Listen to the voice of God. Be present to the person in need. That way we will lessen the occurance. This is not ambivilance about life, this is a sober look at what we say and what the follow thru will entail.

Robert R.

posted May 17, 2009 at 8:59 pm

ann, it’s great to read such a sensible comment. May God bless your efforts.

Gerry

posted May 17, 2009 at 11:28 pm

Hell no.

James

posted May 18, 2009 at 8:33 am

“Common effort.” In other words, let’s concentrate on issues we can all agree on. Thus, Obama was trying to lessen the abortion issue by telling people to focus on other things.
From his point of view, he wouldn’t want people talking about abortion because it’s currently legal and he doesn’t want that to change. It’s the pro-life movement that has to talk, has to engage. Obama just said that he wants to focus on other things i.e. he wants no part in the abortion issue – it’s case closed for him.
The pro-life movement would do well to read between the lines here. Now, more than ever, we need a strong movement for life!

alforo

posted May 18, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Ann, it is not the beginning of life that the anti abortionists concentrate on. It is exactly the opposite. It is on the ending of life that we are concerned about.
Notwistanding the President’s message for peace and unity, the fact remains that it was inappopriate to honor this man at a Catholic Institutiion.

Little Bear

posted May 18, 2009 at 10:26 pm

“alforo”, I
I believe the word “Catholic” means “universal” and it is universal in that we should be able to welcome all—regardless of faith, culture, politics, or race. It was MOST appropriate for a Catholic University, to move beyond the narrow rhetoric that some extremist bishops preach and to lay aside the very parochial ideas that some anti-abortionists blather about. It was appropriate to honor the President—to honor someone willing to talk without using threats as a goad.
NO Church is going to force the entire nation to reverse Roe vs Wade. The sooner the church authorities get this into their brains, the better. What church leaders must do is find the common ground to working to reduce abortions. That is what the President said—and those arch/bishops who were listening to his speech—were probably nodding their heads in the affirmative. And more than that—the President displayed the fact that he doesn’t run from divergent ideas—different, but just as committed as his beliefs. But the Bishops? They are afraid of discussion, they are the ones who cannot handle questions, who believe that there is only one way of arriving at the truth—-theirs.

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Pontifications. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Faith, Media and Culture Prayer, Plain and Simple Happy Blogging!!!

posted 2:38:01pm Aug. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Moving on, and many, many thanks...
So...my recent vacation and related absences also coincided with an offer from PoliticsDaily.com to cover religion for them, as editor Melinda Henneberger announces here in her roundup on the site's very successful first 100 days. That means, in short, that I'll have to sign off from blogging h

posted 8:29:24pm Aug. 02, 2009 | read full post »

Calvin at 500, Calvinism 2.0
If you thought you knew John Calvin--who turned 500 last week--you probably don't know enough. For example, that he was French, born Jean Cauvin. And if he was in fact scandalized by dancing, he was also a lot more complex than that. I explored the new look Calvin in an essay at PoliticsDaily, "Patr

posted 11:53:35am Jul. 16, 2009 | read full post »

Apologia pro vita sua...Kinda
 In my defense, I've had computer outages and family reunions and a few days of single-parenthood, which is always a bracing reminder of what many parents go through all the time. And this weekend it's off for a week's vacation. Anyway, hence the long absence. Apologies to those who have chec

posted 10:51:36am Jul. 16, 2009 | read full post »

When Benny met Barry: "I'll pray for you!"
The first word via Vatican Radio and first image (that I saw) via Rocco: Speaking to Vatican Radio, Press Office Director Fr. Federico Lombardi said "moral values in international politics, immigration and the Catholic Church's contribution in developing countries" were key topics of discussio

posted 12:54:28pm Jul. 10, 2009 | read full post »