Pontifications

Pontifications

Catholics FOR Notre Dame! Better late than never…

posted by David Gibson

It is more than six weeks since Notre Dame extended an invitation to President Obama to deliver the commencement address, sparking outrage from conservatives. And that address is now just five days away. BUT…Notre Dame supporters are just now officially out of the gate with an organization and website to muster support!

(Explain again how liberals won the White House?)

Anyway, the website Catholics for Notre Dame is a project of CatholicDemocrats.org. This is their mission statement:

We believe:
  • That Notre Dame reflects the legacy of Catholic educational excellence which engages students to bring both faith and reason – through critical thinking – to bear on the moral issues of our time.
  • Catholic voters have a broad range of concerns, including but not limited to, the important goal of working to decrease the incidence of abortion.
  • On many issues of concern to  Catholics, President Obama has delivered – whether it’s moving the nation past the deep wounds of racial prejudice, working to end poverty, protecting our environment,  ending torture, or protecting workers’ rights, the President is working for social justice and protecting the least among us.

And here is their petition. Nice. But I think the crowd on Sunday will speak louder than anything at this point.

James

posted May 12, 2009 at 9:26 pm

No surprise that the pro-abortion Democratric party is coming to the rescue of Notre Dame adn Jenkins. They must be proud of such support.

pagansister

posted May 12, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Nice that the more liberal Catholics finally spoke out! Still haven’t understood what the fuss was about. President Obama IS the president of the U. S.A. Just because he has one or two beliefs that are not agreeable to the RCC, he can’t speak to a Catholic university? The graduates are probably more interested in getting that piece of paper… and really don’t care what President Obama’s stance is on abortion. It’s a graduation speech…not Mass.

Tom

posted May 12, 2009 at 10:28 pm

Many grads are going to Mass instead and attending a prayer vigil:
They’ll probably receive their diplomas in the mail anyway but I believe it to be a powerful witness.

The Feds

posted May 12, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Now I’m wondering why I ever subscribed to this blog, certainly not because it represents my beliefs. Too bad!

Clifton Carl

posted May 13, 2009 at 2:07 am

“Still haven’t understood what the fuss was about.”
pagansister,
Go ahead and blame this whole mess on the Catholic bishops. It was their lack of consistency, force and spine in their teaching over many decades which led us here. Regular Catholics are now divided on a fundamental question. One which Notre Dame, wittingly or not, decided to take sides on. This mess is not about Obama or Notre Dame, per se. This is an internecine struggle.

David Gibson

posted May 13, 2009 at 8:28 am

Dear “The Feds”: I’m glad you subscribed, and if you leave, go in peace. But I am interested that you might leave because the blog doesn’t “represent” your beliefs. Is that what you look for in a blog? I actually like to read all manner of stuff-from the inspiring to the infuriating. Sometimes I find both in the same place. Sometimes it edifies me when I don’t expect it. I mistrust myself if I go around looking for simple confirmation of what I think.

rick

posted May 13, 2009 at 9:09 am

I find it very hard believe that any one who professes to be a Catholic can equate them selves as liberal, or conserative. Either you believe in the church and it’s teaching or you don’t. There is no great resolve to slow the number of abortions, it’s murder pure and simple and must be stopped. God isn’t a politician nor is he political, he didn’t say this is what I think I mean, or that his word is open to interpetation. Either you believe and try your best to live in his word,or you think that you can find your way better than the one he has choosen.Nothing difficult here to understand. Thank God! Whether it’s abortion or the bestowing of honors on some one whom represents evil, we really don’t have a choice ,Gods already decided for us.If I were Irish I’d be complaining to the University, please rmove the Fighting and replace it with used to fight, fghting s not P/C.

ron chandonia

posted May 13, 2009 at 9:33 am

But I think the crowd on Sunday will speak louder than anything at this point.
Let me get this straight: Catholics who are upset that Notre Dame is defying our bishops on the abortion issue–including the redoubtable Mary Ann Glendon–are partisan stooges of the torture-loving GOP. But these Catholic Democrats who want ND to go ahead and defy the bishops are faithful advocates of social justice? And the proof of this is the anticipated roar of the crowd at ND’s commencement? I’m hoping you didn’t post this mess on Commonweal too, but I’ll bet you did.

rick

posted May 13, 2009 at 9:58 am

Gee, so much for simplicity. It’s not left,or right,it’s whats right or what whats wrong! Bishops or no Bishops murder is against Gods law,it is still one of the 10 commandments that are posted above the Supreme Court of the United States of America.

David Gibson

posted May 13, 2009 at 10:17 am

Ron Chandonia: Apologies for “this mess.” But exactly where did I say any of the things you attribute to me? You have a vivid, or perhaps livid, imagination. Or maybe just messy.

Your Name

posted May 13, 2009 at 11:37 am

ND vs 50 bishops .. game day Sunday 5-17… ND favored by 14 points.. ” no points given on bets; but 5 to 1 [ND favored] will be given… Monday morning crying about ACORN stuffing the crowd …. expected but this will not influence pay-off.

ds0490

posted May 13, 2009 at 2:55 pm

“It was their lack of consistency, force and spine in their teaching over many decades which led us here.”
Yes, it was, and is their lack of consistency, force and spine that has brought them to this point. And rather than do what is necessary to restore that spine (remove the cancerous pedophiles and their enablers from their midst) they are seeking to turn attention to other things.
But of course, there’s no political power to be gained by dealing with the monsters within.

Elizabeth

posted May 13, 2009 at 8:52 pm

At last! Calmer and cooler voices from Catholics on this issue, instead of the drone coming from the far right.
This upcoming day is for the students and their families, with their beaming faces and cameras ready….I truly hope that the right wing ‘activists’ remember this and not ruin the day for them, instead of selfishly turning this into their agenda!

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Pontifications. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Faith, Media and Culture Prayer, Plain and Simple Happy Blogging!!!

posted 2:38:01pm Aug. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Moving on, and many, many thanks...
So...my recent vacation and related absences also coincided with an offer from PoliticsDaily.com to cover religion for them, as editor Melinda Henneberger announces here in her roundup on the site's very successful first 100 days. That means, in short, that I'll have to sign off from blogging h

posted 8:29:24pm Aug. 02, 2009 | read full post »

Calvin at 500, Calvinism 2.0
If you thought you knew John Calvin--who turned 500 last week--you probably don't know enough. For example, that he was French, born Jean Cauvin. And if he was in fact scandalized by dancing, he was also a lot more complex than that. I explored the new look Calvin in an essay at PoliticsDaily, "Patr

posted 11:53:35am Jul. 16, 2009 | read full post »

Apologia pro vita sua...Kinda
 In my defense, I've had computer outages and family reunions and a few days of single-parenthood, which is always a bracing reminder of what many parents go through all the time. And this weekend it's off for a week's vacation. Anyway, hence the long absence. Apologies to those who have chec

posted 10:51:36am Jul. 16, 2009 | read full post »

When Benny met Barry: "I'll pray for you!"
The first word via Vatican Radio and first image (that I saw) via Rocco: Speaking to Vatican Radio, Press Office Director Fr. Federico Lombardi said "moral values in international politics, immigration and the Catholic Church's contribution in developing countries" were key topics of discussio

posted 12:54:28pm Jul. 10, 2009 | read full post »