Pontifications

Pontifications

“Cheney Asserts Obama Has Raised Security Risks”

posted by David Gibson

That’s the headline on the Times story regarding Cheney’s remarks on CNN on Sunday.

Former Vice President Dick Cheney said Sunday that President Obama had made the country less safe, asserting that the new administration’s changes to detention and interrogation programs for terrorism suspects would hamper intelligence gathering.

Mr. Cheney said the moves suggested that terrorism was now being treated as a law enforcement problem.

“He is making some choices that, in my mind, will, in fact, raise the risk to the American people of another attack,” Mr. Cheney said of Mr. Obama in an interview on the CNN program “State of the Union.”

That’s the Dick Cheney who helped created this mess, right?

My alternate hedder: “Shut the #$%&*! up!”

First runner-up:  “Go away!”

Other entries welcome.

Joe

posted March 15, 2009 at 10:59 pm

I agree 100% with Cheney. The new administration thinks that the terrorists are in the same category as traffic problems.

Gerard Nadal

posted March 16, 2009 at 3:03 am

I watched the second plane slam into the second tower, from standstill traffic atop the Triboro Bridge on 9/11. That plane killed friends and former classmates of mine. The collapsing towers killed hundreds in my community, including two entire companies of Firemen down the street who kept watch over us.
I support the most aggressive hunting and killing of these barbarians. They have staked out an all-or-none, winner-take-all approach to the war they declared on us. Kill every last one of the terrorists. However many. However long it takes. Wherever they may be found. No mercy. No exceptions. That’s war on their terms. If that shocks the sensibilities of some gentle readers, that’s whose after us. That’s what they did on 9/11. Unchristian you say? Yes it is. It’s radical Islam. As the Marine Corps bumper sticker says:
It’s Gods job to judge the terrorists.
It’s our job to arrange the meeting.
I’m with Cheney.

Kim

posted March 16, 2009 at 7:40 am

Mr. Cheney is absolutely correct in his assessment of the Obama administration and policies making us less safe. It is not Mr. Cheney who “got us into this mess” it is the terrorists and those that would aid, support and join in on their ungodly acts. With all due respect to Mr. Gibson, it is obvious that you have September 10th head in the sand mentality, go ahead and live in your fairy princess world, don’t face reality of the times. You are insensitive and pompous for forgetting those innocent souls from numerous nations and religious persuasions who died on September 11, just because they went to work, or got on a plane; and for those who have given their life in defending those who continue to go to work and get on planes. Personally I think it is you that should “Shut the #$%&*! up!”

JAB

posted March 16, 2009 at 7:57 am

In a way, Cheney’s comments are a cheap shot. If nothing happens, his remarks are forgotten. If something happens, he and his supporters get to say, “I told you so.”
Every prediction of the future is an opinion. In a sense, it doesn’t cost the predictor anything.

ABCD

posted March 16, 2009 at 8:52 am

Torture is wrong. From a tactical standpoint, it leads to unreliable “confessions” and bad information. From a moral standpoint, it is heinous. If America is willing to continue the pattern of working to circumvent international treaties for combat purposes and Constitutional civil rights in the US, there will soon be nothing here to protect that is worth protecting. None of that makes the things that al_Qaida, the Taliban, or other organizations have done any less wrong.

Ed Schneider

posted March 16, 2009 at 9:24 am

Is there any battlefield victory that could have prevented 9/11? (The Taliban and al Qaida were trained and equipped by the CIA during the Soviet occupation, but, that’s another topic.)
Looking at those terrorist attacks that have succeeded and those that were thwarted, the latter were the results of good police work and the former of bad police work, in particular, refusal to share information because of careerism of law enforcement officials. Now, 9/11 could have been prevented had the warnings of a woman FBI agent been heeded, but, they were not passed on anywhere for the reasons I mentioned. The only thing for which I fault President Obama is not appointing her Secretary of Homeland Security.

Mary

posted March 16, 2009 at 10:05 am

When former President Bush took office, his administration was warned repeatedly that Al Qaeda posed a serious threat to our security, and they responded by cutting funding for counterterrorism programs.
For Cheney to claim that by not torturing people – often to death – we’re less safe holds zero credibility (ABCD, absolutely, it leads to bad information, as has been demonstrated repeatedly). Torture is a great recruiting device for extremists, however. Iraqi insurgent groups had a field day with pictures from Abu Ghraib.
I wish I could say the former VP should be concerned about a trial for war crimes, but unfortunately I doubt it will come to that. In the meantime, yes, he should shut up.
For so-called Christians to defend “disappearing” of humans into black sites and torture is incomprehensible. Do the teachings of Jesus mean nothing to you people? Is the Cross meaningless?

Mary

posted March 16, 2009 at 10:10 am

Consider also, Christians defending torture, that in addition to the actual bad guys, many prisoners in Guantanamo were brought in for bounty. Do you suppose it is OK to torture people like that – picked up by mercenaries for being in the wrong place at the wrong time – to ascertain their innocence? Where are you, Christians defending torture, drawing the “torture line”?
Where exactly are you supporting the moral relativism that you claim to abhor?

Cindy

posted March 16, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Hum along with me now…. “And they’ll know we are Christians by our love, by our love and they’ll know we are Christians by our love.”
Terrorists hijacking planes are evidence of man’s free will gone bad. Man does not have the answer to that, God does.
We have had a war for years in which far more of our American people have died, as well as millions of Iraqi innocents …. and there was not an Iraqi involved in 9/11.
People. Get. A. Grip.
We are Christians. We do not have to live in fear. We get to pass this along to the rest of the nation and the world. Let it begin in our own hearts.

pagansister

posted March 16, 2009 at 1:59 pm

And NOW we’re supposed to have confidence in the (fortunately) former VP? What did that administration do for us? Let’s see…invade a country under the pretext that it had WMD’s,plus it was a country that had nothing to do with 9-11, torturing (and bringing us to the level that we critize other countries for) men and claiming that we weren’t doing so or having them sent to other countires for the “interrogation”, etc., etc etc. The “great” “W” was shoot first and then torture, then maybe talk. I’d much rather talk first. Am most certainly not thinking we need to let our guard down, but we don’t need to return to “W” and Dickie (“W”s boss?). Many men and women have died in our Armed Forces because of the “W” and friends. For What?? Dying and being maimed in Iraq hasn’t saved us from anything! It cost us our reputation in the world, by having the former(supposedly born again) president (and I hate to use that word for him) start and continue the “2 week war” to overthrow a man we didn’t like running Iraq. And the economic mess this country is in? Wasn’t helped by the previous miserable 8 years of a totally inept man.
I never listened to Dickie before and I certainly won’t start now. No matter who is in the White House, if someone wants to attack us again…unfortunatley they will. Dickie and “w” aren’t the reason it hasn’t happened again.

Mordred08

posted March 17, 2009 at 1:45 am

Kim: “it is obvious that you have September 10th head in the sand mentality, go ahead and live in your fairy princess world, don’t face reality of the times”
The way I see it, we have at least a September 12th mentality. You guys never left September 11th. Come on, the future’s not such a scary place. Sure there are no flying cars or wise-cracking robots, but we have…Wiis…and iPods. That’s something.
And as far as having one’s head in sand…we’re not the ones trying to justify invading Iraq to catch a man hiding in Pakistan, are we?
Gerard Nadal: “I support the most aggressive hunting and killing of these barbarians. They have staked out an all-or-none, winner-take-all approach to the war they declared on us. Kill every last one of the terrorists. However many. However long it takes. Wherever they may be found. No mercy. No exceptions.”
Replace “barbarians” with “infidels” and “terrorists” with “westerners” and you’d sound just like one of them. Does that tell you anything, or are you too far gone in your glorious quest for vengeance to be brought back to reality? I half suspect you can’t tell a terrorist Muslim from a non-terrorist Muslim and “radical Islam” is just a phrase you throw around.

Gerard Nadal

posted March 17, 2009 at 10:44 am

Mordred,
If the terrorists chose conventional war, then I would say fine, fight it on the terms of the Geneva Conventions. They did not. They have declared war on us according to their terms. It is anything goes, last man standing. Thats their terms.
Fine with me. It isn’t as though we have a choice. We either defeat them, or they us. Their minds are made up. Ours are not. That’s a recipe for defeat.
Of course I would prefer no war at all. But we have not been given that option. As for vengeance, it’s good to remind ourselves why we are in this fight.
“I half suspect you can’t tell a terrorist Muslim from a non-terrorist Muslim and “radical Islam” is just a phrase you throw around.”
I fully suspect otherwise.

Mary

posted March 17, 2009 at 11:06 am

“During the many interrogations, I never laid hands on anyone,” said George Frenkel, 87, of Kensington. “We extracted information in a battle of the wits. I’m proud to say I never compromised my humanity.”
From a article on WW2 veterans charged with interrogating Nazis.
Read the article. Then read the Red Cross report alleging the systematic, experimental torture carried out by our government, using our tax dollars, in our names.
The “greatest generation’s” way or Cheney’s way? There’s no comparison. One is Christian, humane, and American.

Your Name

posted March 18, 2009 at 12:46 pm

So Cheney lied. This is supposed to surprise us?

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Pontifications. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Faith, Media and Culture Prayer, Plain and Simple Happy Blogging!!!

posted 2:38:01pm Aug. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Moving on, and many, many thanks...
So...my recent vacation and related absences also coincided with an offer from PoliticsDaily.com to cover religion for them, as editor Melinda Henneberger announces here in her roundup on the site's very successful first 100 days. That means, in short, that I'll have to sign off from blogging h

posted 8:29:24pm Aug. 02, 2009 | read full post »

Calvin at 500, Calvinism 2.0
If you thought you knew John Calvin--who turned 500 last week--you probably don't know enough. For example, that he was French, born Jean Cauvin. And if he was in fact scandalized by dancing, he was also a lot more complex than that. I explored the new look Calvin in an essay at PoliticsDaily, "Patr

posted 11:53:35am Jul. 16, 2009 | read full post »

Apologia pro vita sua...Kinda
 In my defense, I've had computer outages and family reunions and a few days of single-parenthood, which is always a bracing reminder of what many parents go through all the time. And this weekend it's off for a week's vacation. Anyway, hence the long absence. Apologies to those who have chec

posted 10:51:36am Jul. 16, 2009 | read full post »

When Benny met Barry: "I'll pray for you!"
The first word via Vatican Radio and first image (that I saw) via Rocco: Speaking to Vatican Radio, Press Office Director Fr. Federico Lombardi said "moral values in international politics, immigration and the Catholic Church's contribution in developing countries" were key topics of discussio

posted 12:54:28pm Jul. 10, 2009 | read full post »