Howdy Tushkateers, Are you ready to WAKE UP??? Because this week’s KICK in the TUSH TUESDAY focuses on HOW to WAKE UP the right way, on the right side of bed, ready to go, all happy!
The SECRET to WAKING UP. You cannot WAKE UP unless you get the right amount of sleep. Let’s start there!!!! How are you going to ‘create’ the best method to get the appropriate amount of sleep?
It ALL Starts the Night Before: Nighttime Magic.
1. Go to bed at a reasonable hour.
2. Set your internal as well as external alarm for a reasonable wake up time. Like 7 to 9 hours later!
3. Do NOT fall asleep with the television “on.” (It is not helpful to add television talk to your dreams or thoughts.)
4. Before you drift off into your restful and beautiful sleep state, set your intention for your sleep and waking states. Something like…
…“Tonight I will sleep restfully. My dreams will be filled with beautiful imagery that will inspire me. I will remember my dreams. I will wake up well-rested, with a smile on my face and ready to go!”
1. Remember, you are 25 times more open to suggestion as you wake. Pay attention to what thoughts first surface, and if these first thoughts are not helpful, simply turn them around. Repeat your positive or useful thought(s) a few times. Marinate in the good feelings for a moment or two.
2. See the thought. Imagine carrying this thought with you throughout your day.
3. Create a morning ritual. Perhaps a morning stretch, or the sun salutation, or listening to uplifting music or writing in your journal. (For me, always with a cup of coffee. I’m only human. Especially at 5 a.m. And a song…Oh My, heaven on earth for sure.) I am definitely dating myself with this video, but no matter how many times I look for something better, I inevitably return to this one! Good Morning Song (Happy/Pharrell)
4. Then take a look at your calendar. It is filled with opportunity and possibility; explore what’s possible. One moment of gratitude, please.
5. One more positive thought. An affirmation if you will. “Today is a great day, filled with opportunity and joy (come rain or come shine)!”
For those who wake up in the middle of the night and have difficulty falling back to sleep, try breathing! Here is a bonus breathing exercise!
Each step of this exercise can be done while lying in bed.
The steps are as follows:
Close your eyes and take three deep, cleansing breaths. Focus on inhaling clean air and exhaling stale air.
Continuing to breathe deeply, spend a few moments focusing your attention on your toes. You will have fully focused your attention on this part of your body when you can mentally visualize the position of each toe. This, in itself, can be quite relaxing as attention shifts from the mind to the body.
Breathe fresh air into the toes, fingertips, scalp and every other part of the body.
Exhale stale air from all of those locations, feeling warm and cleansed.
If attention wanders, go back to the second step, re-focusing on the toes before beginning the process again. If necessary, keep your attention on the toes, skipping the third step of the exercise entirely. Different strategies will be more helpful for different people. It may take some time to find a strategy that works best for you.
For more Happy Wake Up music, thoughts, love, join Our Lady of Weight Loss’s Facebook / Kick in the Tush Club page!