Wake UP!!!!!!!!! Tushkateers! Guess what I did this morning, first thing? Yes, I Woke UP! HA!!! Seriously Tushkateers, I woke up on the right side of bed. I jumped out of bed (slight exaggeration), made my way to my office (groggilly, coffee in hand), and then…(drum roll please)…I noticed and appreciated the clutter-free windowsill (major improvement: if you missed my declutter rant, read last week’s KICK), I really woke up.
I was so taken with the clear view that I opened the window and yelled (okay, another slight exaggeration), “I’m ALIVE!” (FYI, here in NYC, I could yell, scream, cry and the traffic would drown out my voice no matter how loud…so it’s not like I disturbed or even influenced anyone directly…although maybe my happy vibes rippled through the air…I digress).
Anyway…I am fairly sure that I have spoken about the virtues of WAKING UP in previous KICKS and e-courses and one-on-one coaching sessions, but this morning it once again hit me, in the best possible way, that waking up happy is a fabulous way to wake up, AND if you are interested in permanent weight removal, or having a productive day or a magic-filled day (my goal, for sure–bring on the magic), then one first has to WAKE UP…on the right side of the bed, with a smile in one’s heart and useful thoughts swirling throughout one’s mind.
Today’s KICK in the TUSH e-letter focuses on a simple and effective message on HOW to WAKE UP the right way, on the right side of bed, and ready to go!!!
The SECRET to WAKING UP. You cannot WAKE UP unless you get the right amount of sleep. Let’s start there!!!! How are you going to ‘create’ the best method to get the appropriate amount of sleep?
It ALL Starts the Night Before: Nighttime Magic.
1. Go to bed at a reasonable hour.
2. Set your internal as well as external alarm for a reasonable wake up time. Like 7 to 9 hours later!
3. Do NOT fall asleep with the television “on.” (It is not helpful to add television talk to your dreams or thoughts.)
4. Before you drift off into your restful and beautiful sleep state, set your intention for your sleep and waking states. For instance, “Tonight I will sleep restfully. My dreams will be filled with beautiful imagery that will inspire me. I
will remember my dreams. I will wake up well-rested, with a smile on my face and ready to go!”
1. Remember, you are 25 times more open to suggestion as you wake. Pay attention to what thoughts first surface, and if these first thoughts are not helpful, simply turn them around. Repeat your positive or useful thought(s) a few times. Marinate in the good feelings for a moment or two.
2. See the thought. Imagine carrying this thought with you throughout your day.
3. Create a morning ritual. Perhaps a morning stretch, or the sun salutation, or listening to uplifting music or writing in your journal. (For me, always with a cup of coffee. I’m only human. Especially at 5 a.m. And a song…Oh My, heaven on earth for sure.) I am definitely dating myself with this video, but no matter how many times I look for something better, I inevitably return to this one! Good Morning Song
4. Then take a look at your calendar. It is filled with opportunity and possibility; explore what’s possible. One moment of gratitude, please.
5. One more positive thought. An affirmation if you will. “Today is a great day, filled with opportunity and joy (come rain or come shine)!”
For those who wake up in the middle of the night and have difficulty falling back to sleep, try breathing! Here is a bonus breathing exercise!
Each step of this exercise can be done while lying in bed.
The steps are as follows:
Close your eyes and take three deep, cleansing breaths. Focus on inhaling clean air and exhaling stale air.
Continuing to breathe deeply, spend a few moments focusing your attention on your toes. You will have fully focused your attention on this part of your body when you can mentally visualize the position of each toe. This, in itself, can be quite relaxing as attention shifts from the mind to the body.
Breathe fresh air into the toes, fingertips, scalp and every other part of the body.
Exhale stale air from all of those locations, feeling warm and cleansed.
If attention wanders, go back to the second step, re-focusing on the toes before beginning the process again. If necessary, keep your attention on the toes, skipping the third step of the exercise entirely. Different strategies will be more helpful for different people. It may take some time to find a strategy that works best for you.
For more Happy Wake Up music, thoughts, love, join Our Lady of Weight Loss’s Facebook / Kick in the Tush Club page!
AND…to those who wrote me and requested the instructions for the Non-Piggy Bank (KICK before last), Bravo! Good for YOU! Great job! A thousand no-thank you’s to YOU!!!
And NOW, let’s fully WAKE UP.
Spread the word–NOT the icing!
Dictated but not read by OLWL. Excuse all typos!