This morning a coalition of food safety advocates, medical experts and foodborne illness victims held a telebriefing to discuss the critical need for full implementation and funding of the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA). I participated in same and this is what I learned.
Please take a minute to read through these important points and take action! Visit www.MakeOurFoodSafe.org to take action; give President Obama a Kick in the Tush. Ask him to make our food safe!
- According to the CDC, 48,000,000 Americans contract a foodborne illness each year – that’s one in six of us
- Children account for about half of these
- Overall, foodborne illnesses result in 128,000 hospitalizations …
- … and 3,000 deaths …
- … costing our healthcare system $70 billion.
The solution (almost):
- Congress passed and President Obama signed the FDA Food Safety Modernization Act on January 4, 2011
- This was the first major overhaul to our food system in 70 years, and it had the support of the food industry, consumer advocates and the medical and health communities—not to mention bipartisan support in Congress
- But 18 months later, the Obama Administration hasn’t yet implemented the major pieces of the bill that would improve the safety of:
o Fruits and vegetables
o Packaged foods
o Imported foods
- Since President Obama signed the bill, the CDC reported 10 multistate outbreaks of foodborne illness that the bill is designed to prevent and at least 149 FDA-regulated foods have been recalled
What can you do?
- Visit www.MakeOurFoodSafe.org to take action; give President Obama a Kick in the Tush. Ask him to make our food safe!
Spread the word … not the icing!
Life & Wellness Coach
Self-Help / Weight Loss Artist
wise * fun * utterly useful
FEED YOUR SOUL: Change Your WEIGHT!!! workshop – extraordinary opportunity!
September 16 – 19, 212
ONCE IN A LIFETIME OPPORTUNITY at HOLLYHOCK- SIGN UP NOW!!!!
For the best life, wellness and weight loss wisdom, visit Janice:
Our Lady of Weight Loss
join the Kick in the Tush Club
Become a Tushkateer!
Tushkateer* A Tushkateer is a person who receives Our Lady of Weight Loss’s newsletter, called the KICK in the TUSH CLUB!!! Sign up and receive her weekly e-newsletter with all the news that ‘fit’ to print, and you are automatically a Tushkateer! How cool is that?