A healthy mix of comforting pasta and shiitake mushrooms (an anti-inflammatory food). Serve with big salad, and you’ve got yourself a lip-smackin’ 5 yum meal!!!
- 8-oz. package of whole-wheat or high-fiber spaghetti (may as well go for the healthy gusto, no?)
- 2 medium leeks
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup pre-sliced exotic mushroom blend
- 1/2 cup fresh wild mushrooms, preferably shiitake but chanterelle are okay, too, as are porcini
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1.5 cups 2% milk (or 1%)
- 4 ozs. goat cheese, plain n’ crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt n’ pepper to taste
- fresh sage leaves to garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Follow directions on pasta box, cook until al dente.
- While boiling and cooking pasta, cut leeks lengthwise and wash carefully. (Discard greens.)
- Over medium flame, coat bottom of medium sized skillet with olive oil.
- Add mushrooms and saute until lightly browned and moisture has evaporated.
- Add leeks, garlic and shallots, saute until soft (if it appears that things are going to burn, go up in smoke, add a bit of water).
- Add milk and goat cheese. stir until mixture thickens and cheese melts.
- Stir in parsley, salt n’ pepper to taste.
- Fold ingredients with love and awareness, turn heat to low.
- Drain pasta (assuming it’s done :), Drizzle the butter atop, fold to combine. Add pasta to sauce and toss well to coat.
- Garnish with fresh sage leaves.
Become a Tushkateer!
Tushkateer* A Tushkateer is a person who receives Our Lady of Weight Loss’s newsletter, called the KICK in the TUSH CLUB!!! Sign up and receive her weekly e-newsletter with all the news that ‘fit’ to print, and you are automatically a Tushkateer! How cool is that?