When we feel threatened or stressed, our neuroendocrine system kicks into high gear and releases a series of hormones.
One of these is Cortisol, which gives us the biochemical strength we need to fight or flee our stressors. Back in evolutionary times, this served us well. We needed to replenish our bodies after a bout with a man-eating lion. It was a survival issue.
In modern times, most of our stress comes to us in a less physical form from balancing our checkbooks, filling out college applications to making car payments. Yet, we are still hard-wired to release the same hunger-causing hormones as our loin-cloth wearing ancestors.
The stress is still there, but the physical exertion isn’t.
We can’t help feeling hungry, but we can work at ways to feel less stressed, which will keep the food cravings in check.
Here are some simple ways to short circuit stress and weight gain.
from Our Lady of Weight Loss, Patron Saint of Permanent Fat Removal
2. Eat Eat & Eat: Never and I mean never skip a meal. Keep the blood sugar levels even, lest you tip the contents of the fridge down the hatch in one fell swoop.
3. Sleep Baby Sleep. When we don’t get enough rest, Cortisol levels rise! Be sure to turn the TV off, put the book down, and get some restful sleep.
4. Righteous Relaxation: What activities make you feel relaxed and calm? Looking out the window, far into the distance? Taking a stroll through the park? Arranging flowers (oh, that’s a good one for me!). Put ‘flower arranging’ or the relaxation method of your choice on your calendar, lest you forget!
5. Take In a Deep Breath … AND another! Stop periodically and just breathe. Such an easy thing to do and oh-so beneficial!
6. Spiritual Break Time. Instead of a coffee break, take a mindful meditation break! Invite others in your office or neighborhood to join with you.
7. Avoid Caffeine, Cigarettes and Alcohol: Ask yourself: is it worth it? Because all three of these can cause Cortisol levels to rise.
8. Express YOURself: Call a friend and ‘tell your truth,’ write a masterwork or a minor work, sing with the choir, dance up a storm … let it rip!
Spread the word … NOT the icing!
Become a Tushkateer!
Tushkateer* A Tushkateer is a person who receives Our Lady of Weight Loss’s newsletter, called the KICK in the TUSH CLUB!!! Sign up and receive her weekly e-newsletter with all the news that ‘fit’ to print, and you are automatically a Tushkateer! How cool is that?