National Hugging Day, which has become an internationally recognized observation that embraces hugging (pardon the pun), is but three days away (Saturday, January 21). So, I thought it a good time to roll out and review The Rules of The Full Frontal Hug.
The Rules of the Full Frontal Hug
1. Ask First: Not everyone is into hugging. Go figure. Who knows why. Maybe it’s because they previously experienced a hug from someone who wasn’t familiar with the Rules of the Full Frontal Hug, who hadn’t practiced oral hygiene (see below). Whatever the reason, we must respect each other, so ask first. “Want a hug?” -or- “Can I have a hug?”
2. Oral Hygiene: When was the last time you brushed your teeth? Gargled? Flossed? What did you last eat? Is the smell of onion still lingering? No matter how advanced a hugger you may be, no matter how good your style, onion-breath is a deal breaker. Good Oral Hygiene is an absolute must!
3. Body Hygiene: Do you smell good? Did you workout and you’re all sweaty? Something to consider, no?
4. Eye Contact: You definitely want to make eye contact with someone before you hug it out! Friendly hugs require a brief eye-to-eye. Romantic hugs require a long-lasting simmer and a bit of a raised eye-brown.
5. The Gentle Lean: Best to lean in gently and slowly as you wrap your arms around the ‘huggee,’ lest you overwhelm them.
6. The Positioning of the Arms: Either above or below the other person’s arms is acceptable. Needless to say, if their arms are hanging by their sides, straight down stiff, get out quick.
7. No Squishing, No Bear Hugs: Remember, this is a gentle, sweet hug. Firm is one thing, but squishing is another! And bear hugs … for goodness sake, we’re not trying to knock the breath out of eachother!
8. No Back Patting: Back patting can lead to burping and it’s just not good feng shui. Breaks the loving energy!
9. Let Go, Already: When the huggee begins to let go, you let go as well.
10. This Is NOT Sex: The hug is a way of communicating friendly affection, concern, and support. Leave it at that!
11. Virtual Hugs: Virtual hugs are always available! Join the Kick in the Tush Club, a warm, happy, and supportive world that welcomes you with open arms.
Spread the word … NOT the icing,
Become a Tushkateer!
Tushkateer* A Tushkateer is a person who receives Our Lady of Weight Loss’s newsletter, called the KICK in the TUSH CLUB!!! Sign up and receive her weekly e-newsletter with all the news that ‘fit’ to print, and you are automatically a Tushkateer! How cool is that?