I generally share Our Lady of Weight Loss‘s yum delish healthy recipes on Friday (in my “Dysfunctional Chef” post), but tomorrow is St. Patrick’s Day, and I simply must share the best ever Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe!
If you make it tonight, it will be that much the better tomorrow!
Corned Beef and Cabbage
3 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
10 small red potatoes
1/2 pound onions, very small wedges
5 carrots, peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
1 large head cabbage, cut into small wedges
1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground allspice
2 bay leaves
2 teaspoons kosher salt
Place corned beef in large pot or Dutch oven and cover with water.
Sprinkle the spice packet that came with the corned beef. (If you purchased a corned beef without the spice packet, don’t panic!!! See ‘Alternate spices.’)
Cover pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Simmer approximately 50 minutes per pound or until tender. (In this case approx. 2.5 hours!)
Add whole potatoes, onions and carrots. Cook until the vegetables are almost tender.
Add cabbage and cook for another 15 minutes.
Remove meat and let it rest, breathe, cool on the counter for about 15 minutes before slicing!
Slice meat across the grain!
For a pretty presentation, serve on platter with the vegetable circling the sliced corned beef.
Save the liquid and use as a ‘gravy.’ Drizzle over veggies!
Hungry for more healthy eating recipes from your Dysfunctional Chef?
Sweet n’ Sour Pasta
The Sex Menu???
Spread the word … NOT the icing,
wise * fun * utterly useful
For the best in wellness and weight loss wisdom, visit Janice:
Our Lady of Weight Loss
join the Kick in the Tush Club
Follow Janice Taylor on Twitter: www.twitter.com/OurLady
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog
About Our Lady Of Weightloss"Janice Taylor is a 'kooky genius'"
~ O, The Oprah Magazine
Janice Taylor is a Weight Loss Coach and Certified Hypnotist, author, artist and motivational speaker. She is the author of Our Lady of Weight Loss: Miraculous and Motivational Musings from the Patron Saint of Permanent Fat Removal and All Is Forgiven, Move On: Our Lady of Weight Loss's 101 Fat-Burning Steps on Your Journey to Sveltesville (publication date May 15, 2008). Janice is also the creator of the popular e-newsletter Kick in the Tush Club and a 50-pound big-time-loser.
Books By Janice:
- #OneWord Thursday: 13 (a baker’s dozen) Quotes to Ignite Your #Inner-Child
- Our Lady of Weight Loss’s A Baker’s Dozen: Thirteen Ways to Reward Yourself at the End of a Hard Day as you Revel in the Glory of Your Greatness!
- Kick in the Tush Tuesday: Turnips, Weight Loss Handicaps and Gym Bunnies?
- Puzzled? She Pulled a Rabbit Out of Her Hat?
- Eat This: Be Happy – Huevos Rancheros Breakfast Nachos
- #OneWord Thursday: 12 Ways to Fuel #Abundance
- A Quick Fix!
- Kick in the Tush Tuesday: Autumnal Hypnagogia – How to touch the sun, reach for the stars, open your heart, follow your dreams!
- Puzzled? A JigSaw Mind Twister – “You Can Never Lick Cake”
- Eat This: Be Happy – 6 Super Mood Boosters