This week’s Get Jiggy Weight Loss JigSaw Puzzle was inspired by fish oil and the importance of omega-3’s.
Take Your Fish Oil Daily
Omega-3 fatty acids (eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexanoic acid (DHA), alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), are a part of the polyunsaturated fat family (the good fats) and are considered essential to our good health. Our body, however, cannot make Omega-3 on its own, so it must be obtained from food sources.
Research shows that without a sufficient amount of polyunsaturated Omega-3s, the body will use saturated fat to create cell membranes. These cell membranes are less elastic, which can have negative effects on our heart.
– Improve heart health
– Lower cholesterol levels
– Improve insulin sensitivity
– Stabilize irregular heartbeat (arrhythmia)
– Reduce blood pressure
– Reduce hypertension
– Improve rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, Raynaud’s disease and other auto-immune diseases
– Improve depression and symptoms of other mental health problems
– Aid cancer prevention and cancer support
How much Omega-3 does one need? There is no established recommended amount. The American Heart Association recommends that people include salmon or tuna in their diet at least twice a week.
What foods are rich in Omega-3? Atlantic salmon, Atlantic and Pacific Herring, Sardines, Atlantic Halibut, Bluefish, Tuna, Atlantic Mackerel.
Are you concerned about mercury levels in these fishes? If so, try getting Omega-3 from plant sources, such as: Canola oil, Flaxseed, Flaxseed oil, Walnuts, Leafy green vegetables. A quarter of a cup of walnuts (or 1 ounce) supplies about 2 grams of plant-based Omega-3 fatty acids.
If you decide to take Omega-3 supplements, please check with your doctor, especially if you are taking a blood thinner.
More JigSaw Sunday puzzles:
The Rabbit and The Queen
Coffee and Aspirin: The Hangover Click Cure
Spread the word … NOT the icing!
Janice Taylor, Weight Loss Artist
wise * fun * utterly useful
For the best in wellness and weight loss wisdom, visit Janice:
Join Janice’s Kick in the Tush Club!
Interested in Life and Wellness Coaching? Write Janice for F*ree Consult (janice [at] ourladyofweightloss.com]
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog
About Our Lady Of Weightloss"Janice Taylor is a 'kooky genius'"
~ O, The Oprah Magazine
Janice Taylor is a Weight Loss Coach and Certified Hypnotist, author, artist and motivational speaker. She is the author of Our Lady of Weight Loss: Miraculous and Motivational Musings from the Patron Saint of Permanent Fat Removal and All Is Forgiven, Move On: Our Lady of Weight Loss's 101 Fat-Burning Steps on Your Journey to Sveltesville (publication date May 15, 2008). Janice is also the creator of the popular e-newsletter Kick in the Tush Club and a 50-pound big-time-loser.
Books By Janice:
- Of Vital Importance: Is your “Mouth of Chi” blocked, cluttered or just plain messy?
- Beautiful Quote Day: Be an oxygen giving tree.
- Screw the Bathroom Scale: 6 Ways to Build Self-Confidence
- Be a Good “Body Listener”
- How to Let Go of Who You Are and Become What You Might Be!
- Dysfunctional Chef: ZUCCHINI and Carrot MUFFINS Oh My!
- This Friendship Day: How to Dump Your Toxic Friends :)
- How to Be Eccentric, Clunky and Chunky.
- Green Tea helps to …. Burn Fat NOW!
- Does NAMBY-PAMBY Fit You? -or- Buy a Doormat; Don’t Be One!