In 1980, the first edition of the “Dietary Guidelines for Americans” was released by the United States Department of Agriculture with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Since that time, the guidelines are updated every 5 years, reflecting new information about nutrition, food, physical activity and health. The goal of these guidelines is to improve our health.
The 2010 edition included dietary guidelines for those who are at increased risk for chronic disease; nutrition-related diseases.
37 percent of Americans have cardiovascular disease.
34 percent of U.S. adults have hypertension.
36 percent have pre-hypertension.
11 percent of Americans age 20 and older have diabetes.
35 percent have pre-diabetes.
41 percent of the population will be diagnosed with cancer during their lifetime.
50 percent of women and 25 percent of men, 5 and older, will have osteoporosis-related fracture in their lifetime.
34 percent of American adults and 18 percent of adolescents are considered obese.
Those are some stunning statistics, aren’t they?
Food for thought. For the fully skinny from the U.S.D.A. read on!
Spread the word … NOT the icing!
wise * fun * utterly useful
For the best in wellness and weight loss wisdom, visit Janice:
Join Janice’s Kick in the Tush Club!
Interested in Life and Wellness Coaching? Write Janice for F*ree Consult (janice [at] ourladyofweightloss.com]
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog
About Our Lady Of Weightloss"Janice Taylor is a 'kooky genius'"
~ O, The Oprah Magazine
Janice Taylor is a Weight Loss Coach and Certified Hypnotist, author, artist and motivational speaker. She is the author of Our Lady of Weight Loss: Miraculous and Motivational Musings from the Patron Saint of Permanent Fat Removal and All Is Forgiven, Move On: Our Lady of Weight Loss's 101 Fat-Burning Steps on Your Journey to Sveltesville (publication date May 15, 2008). Janice is also the creator of the popular e-newsletter Kick in the Tush Club and a 50-pound big-time-loser.
Books By Janice:
- #OneWord Thursday: #Money #Money #Money – Show Me the $$$
- Couch Potato’s Dream: Burn Calories While Watching Movies
- Kick in the Tush Tuesday: 5 Tax Day Money Rituals Sure to Manifest Mammoth Returns
- Puzzled? A Tax Day Full Moon Money Ritual !!!
- Puzzled? Grackles are Fat, too?
- Wisdom Wednesday: 6 Steps to Calm and Content
- #KickTush Tuesday: 5 Ways to a Beautifully Landscaped Interior
- #OneWord Thursday: Have #Patience, Know Thy Grass
- Feed Your Soul: How to Make Better Choices
- Kick in the Tush Tuesday: A Step by Step Guide to Living…