What will you bring to Thanksgiving that can help you navigate the screaming children? What will you bring that will keep you strong and able to say ‘no thank you’ to the heavily spiked Egg Nog when the slings and arrows of miss-communication are being sent your way? Seriously?!
If you think that I’m kidding, I am NOT! I have spend an entire week on the telephone talking to Weight Loss Coaching clients who are telling it like it is. The TRUTH! Concerned that they will go on a ‘food’ bender or worse! Some are unnerved by their controlling mother-in-laws (not my daughter-in-law – by the way), some by the screaming 4 and 5 year olds; some worried that comments will be made about the way they look – good or bad – IT IS charged! The anxiety is mounting and I say get ‘thy holiday survival kit’ together!
THE THANKSGIVING SURVIVAL KIT!
1. Meditation Music. Should you feel unnerved by anyone or anything, simply slip away, iPod in hand, to the bathroom. Lock yourself in and tune in to some meditation music! Take in a few deep breaths. Return to room when you are fully charged and returned to center!
2. Lights, Action, Camera. Taking photos will not only serve to record the day for future generations, but the camera acts as a butter – oops, Freudian slip … I mean BUFFER!!! It literally puts you in a place of observation. Note all with humor! Snap away happily.
3. Recorder. Last year, my 94 year-old mother, after 3 sips of Manichewitz, revealed some very hot details from her youth. Had I only had a recorder! A golden opportunity missed to record her in all her glory and in her voice!
4. Jigsaw Puzzle. Bring a puzzle and dump it on a table in the corner of the room. You have now created the official ‘drop in’ center. Drop in and play … drop out and return to bigger group.
5. Games n’ Puzzles for the Kids. Needless to say, if you’ve got a puzzle you’re working on, the little ones are going to want to play, too. So bring games n’ puzzles up the gazoo for the kids! Keep ’em busy and happy.
6. Hand Project. Crochet, knit, needlepoint, pen and pad … whatever! Hand projects not only keep your hands and mind away from food, but they are calming. Best anti-anxiety medicine ever!!!
7. Walking Shoes. Not only is it okay to head out for a spell and take a walk, it’s a good idea. If you need some alone time, be sure to head out alone!!! (I am giving you permission to take care of yourself!) And if you want to take the lead and invite others for a bit of fresh air, do so!
Think outside of the stuffed turkey!
What are you going to put into your Thanksgiving Survival Kit?! Pack NOW!
Spread the word … NOT the icing,
Weight Loss Success Coach
wise * fun * utterly useful
Curious about coaching? Janice Taylor can help you live your best life! Write Janice!
“Janice Taylor is a kooky kind of genius. See if her idiosyncratic diet plan will work for you.” ~ O, the Oprah Magazine