Today we celebrate a major celestial event, the Summer Solstice, which results in the longest day (and the shortest night) of the year. The meaning of Solstice comes from a combination of Latin words: Sol + Stice, meaning “Sun” + “To Stand Still.” As the sun reaches moves high into the sky, it appears to stand still.
This day is also known as “Midsummer,” “St. John’s Day,” and the “Wiccan Litha.” Various celebrations throughout the world have included honoring Li, the Chinese God of Light, building bonfires to increase the sun’s energy, and the Druids’ celebrated the “wedding of Heaven and Earth.” Thousands still gather to welcome the sunrise on the Summer Solstice in England at Stonehenge and Avebury.
The Summer Solstice was thought to be a time of magic. If evil spirits appeared, then they were thwarted by a plant called ‘chase-devil.’ Today, this plant is known as St. John’s Wort, and it is used as a mood stabilizer.
Our Lady of Weight Loss in keeping with the idea that this is indeed a time of magic, thought the Summer Solstice might be a good day to send our ‘evil thoughts’ on their way as we clear space for the new and exciting blessings from the Universe.
Here, she shares with us her favorite Summer Solstice Ritual that will without a doubt help you to ‘lighten up’ in more ways than one!
Summer Solstice Ritual – Add Fire to Your Life
1. Your first step toward preparing for the Summer Solstice Ritual that is sure to rid you of your negative beliefs and add fire to your life is to write out on a piece of paper all your troubles, woes, worries, pain, sorrows, and negative beliefs.
2. Then place the paper on top of a small cloth. Add a ‘bunch’ of fresh basil to it. Wrap the note and basil in the cloth and tie it up with a red string.
3. Honor the sun by collecting flowers that are golden yellow. If at all possible, a sunflower or two!
4. Wear something golden yellow, as well.
5. Create an altar. Set up a special place where you can place your summer flowers next to your tied cloth. In addition, place a golden yellow candle on the altar.
6. Place a cup of watermelon cubes on a golden yellow plate. Set aside.
7. When you are ready and feel that it is the right time for you to let go of your troubles, light the candles and say aloud or to yourself, “Today, I let go of the past and invite the blessings of the Universe in.”
8. When you feel free of your troubles, gently blow out the candle, bury the cloth deep into the ground, and then find a quiet place to sit and enjoy the full blessings of fresh watermelon. Yum!
More Summer Fun:
Best Summer weight loss food.
How to Freeze Your Tush Off!
Spread the word … NOT the icing!
Curious about coaching and how Janice Taylor can help you live your best life? Write Janice!