I realized, while schmoozing at a party, that I was having such a good time talking to everyone, one by one, sometimes two at a time, that food became secondary. Before I knew it, the evening was over, and I’d only ingested a small bowl of chili and some fruit. I didn’t have anything to confess to Our Lady of Weight Loss. Miracles do happen!!!
I invite you to work the room, chit the chatter, and leave the chips and dips behind. The ability to be a great conversationalist can be cultivated. Here follows a few conversational tips that you might want to mull over.
Talking Tips for Great Conversationalists from Our Lady of Delightful Dialogue
1. A conversation is not a monologue. Limit yourself to 4 sentences or 40 seconds, whichever comes FIRST.
2. Silence is golden. Just as a pause is important in music – so is a bit of silence in a conversation. Give others an opportunity to jump right in.
3. Be interested in the other person. Be attentive. Ask them questions. Draw them out.
4. Do not offer advice. Hello, did anyone ask you for your opinion?
5. Look for visual signs. If you see any eye-rolling, clock watching, foot tapping – you’ve overstepped your bounds and more than likely your time limit.
6. You don’t have to be right. No, really – you don’t.
7. Stick to the topic at hand and roll with it.
8. Don’t tell jokes unless you are truly skilled at it.
9. Be tactful, alert and sympathetic.
10. Always be in good humor. No matter what!
11. Don’t preach or take yourself too seriously. Do not dwell on moral issues.
12. Be positive. Negative talk will make you a negative person. (YIKES! We don’t want that to happen, do we?)
Tips on how to … be happy, fill the empty void and stop eating! Wow!!!
10 Tips: Happiness Centered Weight Loss
Fill the Empty Void
How to Stop Eating
Spread the word … NOT the icing!
Follow Janice on Twitter and/or Facebook!
Our Lady of Weight Loss: Miraculous and Motivational Musings from the Patron Saint of Permanent Fat Removal an OPRAH BOOK CLUB pick: Summer 2009 – Buy NOW!
Join the Our Lady of Weight Loss’s Kick in the Tush Club: Beliefnet Chapter.
Write Janice Taylor, Weight Loss Coach, Certified Hypnotist, Author and 50-pound big-time-loser for an introductory one-on-one coaching session.
Visit Our Lady of Weight Loss.
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog
About Our Lady Of Weightloss"Janice Taylor is a 'kooky genius'"
~ O, The Oprah Magazine
Janice Taylor is a Weight Loss Coach and Certified Hypnotist, author, artist and motivational speaker. She is the author of Our Lady of Weight Loss: Miraculous and Motivational Musings from the Patron Saint of Permanent Fat Removal and All Is Forgiven, Move On: Our Lady of Weight Loss's 101 Fat-Burning Steps on Your Journey to Sveltesville (publication date May 15, 2008). Janice is also the creator of the popular e-newsletter Kick in the Tush Club and a 50-pound big-time-loser.
Books By Janice:
- Take a Bach Break. Lose Weight… Sometimes it’s just that simple!
- Morning Chew: The Epictetus Cure
- Weighty Confession: Pass the Yankee Doodle
- From Fidgeting to Fornicating: 8 Ways to Burn 100 Calories
- VLOG: Travel Weight Loss 101: 9 Travel Tips from Our Lady of Weight Loss
- Self-Care : Selfish? Self-Indulgent? Necessary?
- #Imperfectionism vs. Perfectionism : To Banish Imperfections Is to Destroy Expression
- Listen and Lose !!! Sometimes it’s just that simple …
- 10 Simple Steps: How to Survive a Tough Day
- End the Madness: Create a Better _____ ?