My friend and colleague, Susan K. Perry and I were discussing how Bo Obama, the first puppy, rollicks on the White House lawn in a natural state of joy, exuberance, with complete abandon; essentially in a constant state of Flow!
Flow is the mental state in which a person is fully immersed in what he or she is doing by a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and success in the process of the activity; wherein time disappears.
It occurred to us that we stand to learn a lot from Bo, so together, we came up with these …
… Six Ways to Flow Like Bo: Learn About Creativity and Joy from First Puppy, Bo Obama.
1. Play Like a Puppy. You may be an adult, but if you access your playful puppy side like Bo, you will find your creativity enhanced many times over.
A playful attitude loosens up the mental connections, which will allow you to combine ideas in new ways, lifts your mood and emotions, boosts your immunity, and it strengthens and intensifies your charisma. (And is not Bo the most charismatic ever?!) Being playful helps you to live in the moment!
2. Sniff Out Novelty. Like an energetic pooch, always seek out new sights, sounds, and smells. The stimulation of novelty keeps you alert and aware and engaged in whatever you’re doing.
Puttering (or playing!!!) in the garden (I’ve got Lemon Thyme growing in my living room!), enjoying the tactile experience of a massage, or just sitting and people watching, taking in the sights, smells and sounds, can relieve boredom!
3. Make Mistakes. That’s how puppies learn, and that’s how creative people learn. Never fret too long over failures. They’re a requirement for growth.
Mistakes a.k.a. failure is the number ONE KILLER of Grand plans and Great Schemes! In all likelihood it started when you were young; you failed at something, maybe got a big fat “F” in school, or failed to get on the cheerleading squad. (Ha! Like I even tried.) Who knows what you failed at, but you did … we all did … and some of us soaked in those feelings from failure and decided consciously or unconsciously in that snapshot of a moment, on a deep level, to protect ourselves at ALL COSTS!
And so I say to you today, let’s turn that all around and “Let’s CELEBRATE failure!”
4. Don’t Store Energy. Just sitting there combating the urge to do something, your body stores the calories you take in, and you get dull. Instead, move around like a healthy animal. Make use of those calories to jolt your body and brain into full alertness. Successful creative individuals take walks or otherwise keep the blood and oxygen moving to the brain. You’ll think better.
Walking stimulates the brain to release endorphins and increases the production of the neurotransmitters serotonin, the body’s natural mood elevator. Literally, walking, romping, moving makes us happy.
5. Appreciate Those Who Care for You. If Bo doesn’t make loving puppy eyes at his new masters, how long do you think they’ll be entranced with him? Everyone likes to be appreciated, so make like a happy pet and show your gratitude.
That sets off a positive cycle of joy that moves easily back and forth between you and your loved ones; those who care for you in any and every way.
Manifesting circles of joy are a wonderful and meaningful way to add an extra boost of energy to our goals and intentions. Knowing you’re supported is a plus for being creative.
6. Learn New Tricks. Stuck doing nothing but sudoku day and night? You may be having a good time, but your brain will benefit by mixing it up. Try another kind of puzzle, if that’s your thing, or take a short course in something utterly new to you.
According to the Department of Neurobiology in the Duke University Medical Center, you can keep your brain nimble and ready for new challenges with neurobics. Neurobics help stimulate the brain’s activity, change the patterns of activity in your brain and create new connections in areas that process sensory input.
Neurobics can be done just about anywhere and at anytime. The trick is to utilize your five physical senses (see, hear, taste, feel, smell) and your emotional sense in unconventional ways. In order to WAKE UP, you want to shake up and break up your mental routine!
More Happy Links:
Reduce Belly Fat: The Happiness Cure
What’s YOUR Stay-Fat Strategy?
Lose It @ Kripalu!
Creating-In-Flow, Susan K. Perry
Spread the flowing word … NOT the icing!
Janice and Susan
Janice Taylor is a Life & Wellness Coach, specializing in weight loss, reinvention, transformation & happiness, author, seminar leader and 50-pound-BIG-Time-LOSER! Write Janice for an Introductory Coaching Session.
For more motivation and inspiration, join the Kick in the Tush Club: Beliefnet Chapter.
Pick up a copy of Janice’s latest: All Is Forgiven, Move ON ~ Our Lady of Weight Loss’s 101 Fat-Burning Steps on Your Journey to Sveltesville!
“Janice Taylor is a certain kind of kooky genius ~ see if her idiosyncratic diet plan will work for you.” ~ O, The Oprah Magazine
Follow Janice on Twitter:
click here to see all of our uplifting newsletters»
Search This Blog
About Our Lady Of Weightloss"Janice Taylor is a 'kooky genius'"
~ O, The Oprah Magazine
Janice Taylor is a Weight Loss Coach and Certified Hypnotist, author, artist and motivational speaker. She is the author of Our Lady of Weight Loss: Miraculous and Motivational Musings from the Patron Saint of Permanent Fat Removal and All Is Forgiven, Move On: Our Lady of Weight Loss's 101 Fat-Burning Steps on Your Journey to Sveltesville (publication date May 15, 2008). Janice is also the creator of the popular e-newsletter Kick in the Tush Club and a 50-pound big-time-loser.
Books By Janice:
- This Friendship Day: How to Dump Your Toxic Friends :)
- How to Be Eccentric, Clunky and Chunky.
- Green Tea helps to …. Burn Fat NOW!
- Does NAMBY-PAMBY Fit You? -or- Buy a Doormat; Don’t Be One!
- Puzzled? Time to Send a Weird, Phallic & Prickly postcard to a friend!
- How to Buy, Eat, Store the Thirst-Quenching Pomegranate
- How to Survive the Exhausted Modern World
- 9 Steps : How to Move from Fear to Love
- The 3 Deadliest Weight Loss Words
- Take a Bach Break. Lose Weight… Sometimes it’s just that simple!