Today is Valentine’s Day (as if you needed me to tell you!). And ‘they’ say that Valentine’s Day is for lovers. Well, that’s just swell if you have a lover, and even then it can go bust (manage your expectations – be grateful for the cheap – rather – inexpensive bouquet of carnations!).
Therefore, I request that you please join me in expanding and tweaking the meaning of Valentine’s Day to be a DAY of LOVE. And let LOVE start with YOU, as in “Love thyself, first and foremost.”
Love is an art that requires conviction, faith and daily practice. Self-love is within you, always available – ready to comfort and embrace.
Fully accept yourself this Valentine’s Day. You deserve to love yourself, no matter your size, hairstyle (I had the ultimate bad cut a few weeks ago and struggled with self-love.),or I.Q. (my brother was the smart one!).
1. Write out a list of all the things you like about yourself. If you are short on ideas, ask a couple of good and kind friends. (Caution: steer clear of critical relatives.)
2. To get your day headed in the right direction, start the morning with a few self-loving affirmations. Write them first and then say them aloud. “My loving energy flows through me and out into the universe, connecting with all the Gods and Goddesses of love.” (Okay, a little over the top. I like a touch of drama.)
3. Every night jot down three things that you are grateful for. “I am grateful that I love myself.”
4. Praise and compliment yourself as often as possible. Criticism is soul crushing. Praise builds. “Wow, that chocolate smoothie I just whipped up was awesome”. “I am great.” “And woo hoo! Girlfriend, look at yourself in those tight-ass jeans.”
5. Look adoringly at yourself in the mirror. Accept yourself just the way you are. No kidding, you are really fabulous. No need to wait. Love yourself NOW.
How do you love thyself? Comment below!
Spread the word … NOT the icing,
Janice Taylor is a Life & Wellness Coach, specializing in weight loss, reinvention, transformation & happiness, author, seminar leader and 50-pound-BIG-Time-LOSER! Write Janice for an Introductory Coaching Session.
For more motivation and inspiration, join the Kick in the Tush Club: Beliefnet Chapter.
Pick up a copy of Janice’s latest: All Is Forgiven, Move ON ~ Our Lady of Weight Loss’s 101 Fat-Burning Steps on Your Journey to Sveltesville!
“Janice Taylor is a certain kind of kooky genius ~ see if her idiosyncratic diet plan will work for you.” ~ O, The Oprah Magazine
Follow Janice on Twitter: