If you’ve been following the “Oprah Weight Gain, 200 Pounds of Pure Love Series,” then you know that Bob Greene, Oprah’s personal weight loss guru (who – to my knowledge – has not personally experienced the battle of the bulge) is leading a ‘weight loss/best life‘ webinar on Monday night. He has put forth his five ‘deep-thinking’ (NOT) questions for all who struggle with weight loss to ask themselves. (See below.)
Here follows what I have to say to Bob … and to you, too!
Dear Bob, Your 5 questions are pretty good. BUT, if I were to be perfectly honest, which I have a tendency to be, they’re not extraordinary. They are milk-toasty simple. In other words, while your questions are sound bitable, they do not ensure deep-get-to-the-core-of-the-issue thinking.
I, Bob … on the other hand… have come up with five fat-burning questions that will not only blow-the-fat-cells-out-of-your-mind, present an entirely new perspective, but they will also bring a smile to your face (giving a-HA moments a new meaning)!
It is my mission, you know, to MAKE WEIGHT LOSS FUN! Truly, does it have to be so heart-breaking, heavy? If you can’t laugh at your fat … and Oprah, Bob … I do not see you laughing – then you are sunk! Aren’t you?
(who has kept the weight off for over 7 years!)
designed to BLOW the FAT CELLS Out of YOUR MIND, Bring a SMILE to Your Face, Energize, Empower, Motivate, Inspire and More! (WOWZER!!!)
1. What is your STAY FAT STRATEGY? Yes, you have one. You are very successful at staying fat, aren’t you? (You will laugh hard when you read this one!)
2. What are you TOLERATING? What are you STOMACHING, PUTTING UP WITH? Here, we explore, discover and investigate the various things that are in our lives that are WEIGHING us down. Things from dust behind the refrigerator to people in our lives; from bad hair days to our own thoughts and beliefs.
I promise you that as you take the time to be honest, be brave, look deep and write down at least 50 things that you are STOMACHING, you will be brought to a place where you can see, feel, experience and even taste your ‘lite.’
3. What’s FEAR got to do with it? Hmmmm … everything! DUH!! Truth be told, there’s no way around fear … you can only move through it!
4. How will you FILL UP on HAPPINESS (Video included!!!)! Watch before breakfast! I was recently talking to one of my star coaching clients (each and everyone of you a star in your own way). Betty (the names have been changed to protect the innocent) said, “I know I should fill up on happiness instead of food.” Now, you can fill up on happiness … get your gluesticks ready!!!
5. Are you DROWNING in DRAMA? (I’ll say YOU ARE!) Let go of ‘the WHY of it’. Asking WHY questions … “Why am I doing this?” “Why me?” may well yield an answer, but not necessarily a strategy to effect change. (Bob, three of your five questions are ‘why’ questions. Why is a dead-end.) When you hear yourself saying “The problem is …” watch out! Your drama is fast approaching.
Here are Bob’s questions:
1. What are you hungry for?
“The weight is always representative of something other than what it looks like,” Oprah says. “You don’t have a weight problem; you have a self-care, self-love problem.”
2. Why are you overweight?
“It’s not because you like a certain food,” Bob says. “Get deep into it.”
3. Why have you been unable to maintain weight loss in the past?
“This one is really more about ‘Why have you failed?’” Bob says. (PS from JANICE: Celebrate Failure! You really need a new perspective on this one.)
4. What in your life is not working?
“You’re going to find the answers in those areas that you say are really important to you,” Bob says. “But they’re not doing well.”
5. Why do you want to lose weight?
“If any part of your answer hints that you’ll be happy at a certain size or weight, you’re setting yourself for failure because [there are] two outcomes,” Bob says. “You never reach that size or weight and you’re never happy. And even worse, you reach that size and weight and realize it has nothing to do with your happiness.”
Bob, feel free to write me. You guys can, too. FYI Bob … you and I (I’m sure you don’t remember) appeared on the same bill in Seattle, at the National Northwest Women’s Show. I spoke before you and we signed books together. I gave you one of my books. If you misplaced it or need a new copy, let me know!
Respectfully, with love and humor!
Spread the word … NOT the icing!
Janice Taylor is a Life & Wellness Coach, author, seminar leader and 50-pound-BIG-Time-LOSER! Write Janice for an Introductory Coaching Session.
For more motivation and inspiration, join the Kick in the Tush Club: Beliefnet Chapter.
Pick up a copy of Janice’s latest: All Is Forgiven, Move ON ~ Our Lady of Weight Loss’s 101 Fat-Burning Steps on Your Journey to Sveltesville!
” . . . . kooky genius ~ see if her idiosyncratic diet plan will work for you.” ~ O, The Oprah Magazine