Solid Gold Happiness by Janice Taylor, Life & Wellness Coach, Author and 50-Pound Big-Time-Loser
In addition to today being an auspicious day of many eights, the start of the 2008 Olympics (08.08.08 tonight at 8:08:08 p.m.), August 8th is also, in accordance with the Better World Calendar, Happiness Day!
What is Happiness?
Plain and simple, happiness is an emotion that is coupled with feelings of contentment, joy, bliss, pleasure, harmony, inner peace and satisfaction.
What makes us happy?
Good question, because it seems a mystery to most and what makes one person happy, won’t necessarily make another happy. Some of us look for happiness in loving relationships, by creating great sums of money, or by cooking up great gastronomical feasts. Many of us play the “When/Then Game” and say, “When I reach my goal, then, I’ll be happy.”
Is Happiness A Choice?
For those of you who are skeptics and are saying, “but what about when this happens,” … thinking of one situation after the next in which you cannot be happy, I ask that you hold open the possibility that you can be happier no matter the circumstances.
1. Quiet the Mind through Meditation. When the mind is quiet, a peaceful space presents itself and with it an opening to choose happiness.
2. Notice Your Thoughts. A never-ending river of negative thoughts do not make for a happiness landscape. Do not fight these thoughts; do not judge them. Simply observe them, be aware of them, note them. Step back and allow them to float away.
3. Hang Out with Happy People. Happiness is contagious.
4. Read Books that Inspire. The words are going straight from the page into your mind. Keep your mind awash with inspiring, motivating and happy words. (Might I suggest that you pick up a copy of All Is Forgiven, Move On? It soooo lightens and lifts.)
5. Listen to Music that Lifts You. Music has the power to cause emotions to well up within us. (I am joyously listening to Chelsea Morning now. Pure poetry.)
6. Smile and Oxygenate. Smiling brings oxygen to the brain and it sends out a clear message that you are a kind, happy and open person. Both important to your happiness!
7. Take the Humorous Side of the Street. Look for the quirks, the contradictions, and the humor in life.
8. Help Others. At the end of the day, it seems that helping others can deliver a mighty jolt to your happiness level.
Smile, laugh and allow happiness!
Spread the HAPPINESS word, not the Icing!
Follow me on Twitter! Food facts and tips throughout the day!
Workshops! Come, play with me!
Free Our Lady of Weight Loss E-Cards! Spread the FUN word!
For more motivation and inspiration, join the Kick in the Tush Club: Beliefnet Chapter.
Pick up a copy of Janice’s latest: All Is Forgiven, Move ON ~ Our Lady of Weight Loss’s 101 Fat-Burning Steps on Your Journey to Sveltesville!
” . . . . kooky genius ~ see if her idiosyncratic diet plan will work for you.” ~ O, The Oprah Magazine