One City

One City

Facebook Status goes Viral On Health Care Reform

posted by Ethan Nichtern

facebook-logo.jpg

I just opened my Facebook page today and got bombarded with friend after friend who had posted the following to their facebook status:

Ethan Nichtern believes that no one should die because they cannot afford health care, and
nobody should go broke because they get sick. If you agree, please post this as your status for the rest of the day.”

I haven’t ever seen a viral status
this much this fast. And there’s news that the demands for a public
option are being heard louder and louder, especially by the Senate Finance Committee.
What does your facebook status say? Maybe you should twitter it too.
And you know, call your congressman and mindfully and kindly demand the
same health care that your parents and grandparents have had since the
1960′s (it’s called Medicare,
and no it ain’t socialist, unless socialist is the new synonym for
“compassionate common sense program that the rest of the capitalist
democratic world takes for granted.”).

Elizabeth Cooper

posted September 3, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Wait so YOU started that status?? Man, it spread to my friends in Brazil, Germany, South Carolina… good on you!

quinn

posted September 3, 2009 at 6:11 pm

I see people comment all the time either saying “No this is socialist”, or “don’t do that because it is socialist”. What is wrong with being socialist?

Ethan

posted September 3, 2009 at 6:45 pm

@Elizabeth no I did not start it! Just part of the wave!

chiadi

posted September 3, 2009 at 7:38 pm

Dear Quinn,
“Socialism is a philosophy of failure, The creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy.
It’s only inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery”
‘Just sayin’
Winston Churchill
*Hope that answers your question

jane collins

posted September 3, 2009 at 7:50 pm

Kate

posted September 3, 2009 at 11:06 pm

I just got very depressed because a former colleague had this on her status:
“No one should die because they cannot afford health care, and no one should go broke because they get sick. So instead of whining about it go out and get a job and learn to pay for your healthcare like the rest of the working population. if you think… Americans are lazy and expect shit for free please post this as your status for the rest of the day,”
with a long string of comments afterwards to the tune of, “Oh my God! I know! I mean, we’re in a democracy, right??”

Dave

posted September 4, 2009 at 9:35 am

Churchill, although the valiant leader of my country during the second world war, was actually somebody whose political life was very controversial – he sent the army into maintain order amongst striking Welsh miners, amongst things. It is unduly simplistic to attempt to dispel an entire philosophy with one quote, especially a quote from a person that was so deeply flawed and antitheitcal to the notion of socialism.
If it is socialist to try and prevent unnecessary deaths and suffering ahead of the pursuit of capital (note the use of ahead rather than instead), then I am a proud socialist. I am far more proud of the National Health Service than I am Winston Churchill – great man theories of history are pretty suspect anyway.
My sister has recently been diagnosed with a brain tumour, one month after having been made redundant due to the recession, there’s no way should would have been able to afford health insurance on top. The NHS, whilst not free of problems, provides a magnificent service. Most British people are proud of the NHS, does this make us communist monsters?
I have a question for American readers, what’s the deal with all the social health McCarthyism?

annasara

posted September 4, 2009 at 10:11 am

An investigation into socialism….

bigtitch

posted September 4, 2009 at 4:36 pm

“The discoveries of healing science must be the inheritance of all. That is clear. Disease must be attacked, whether it occurs in the poorest or the richest man or woman simply on the ground that it is the enemy; and it must be attacked just in the same way as the fire brigade will give its full assistance to the humblest cottage as readily as to the most important mansion. Our policy is to create a national health service in order to ensure that everybody in the country, irrespective of means, age, sex, or occupation, shall have equal opportunities to benefit from the best and most up-to-date medical and allied services available.”
Winston Churchill, 1944

CS

posted March 18, 2010 at 2:47 pm

No one dies because they can not afford health insurance. Lack of health insurance doesn’t kill.
Cancer kills, car accidents kill, heart disease kills. You will never see,printed on a death certificate, “Cause of Death, Lack of health insurance.”

greyfox

posted March 29, 2010 at 1:50 pm

What a wide open loop hole, 26 year olds on the parents health care, what a deal. Can you imagine how many 26 year olds will be living at home until they are 27. Even those married will claim status as living at home, unless of course the government has a large beauracracy to handle the cheaters……good luck with that.

Virility EX

posted October 14, 2010 at 10:14 am

A really interesting info, thanks for sharing it

blessed herbs

posted December 12, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Health care reform is really an arduous task. How ever the task though, let’s just hope the government will be able to keep it to the best of the peoples welfare.